GMC Acadia Forum banner
81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
I had this happen yesterday 2/16/2022. I have a chevy Traverse. Traction control turned off, reduced engine power, and I was doing 75 on the hwy. It's very unsafe for this to happen. The mechanic picked it up today and replaced the throttle body. I'll have it back tomorrow so hopefully that's all it needed.
No power is unsafe. Reduced power gives you a chance to move to the shoulder.

·
Registered
10 Posts
2016 GMC Acadia; stabilitrak service/traction control error message and rough/reduced engine power.

Local GMC dealer cannot locate the issue. They initially thought it was a faulty battery, but a replacement didn't work. Initially I thought is was happening only in the rain and at highway speeds but it happened again yesterday on a side road going under 45 mph.

Since the dealer seems to have no clue, would an independent repair shop be a good option? I have a guy I know and trust, but not sure if this issue is really something to stick with a dealership on.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
2016 GMC Acadia; stabilitrak service/traction control error message and rough/reduced engine power.

Local GMC dealer cannot locate the issue. They initially thought it was a faulty battery, but a replacement didn't work. Initially I thought is was happening only in the rain and at highway speeds but it happened again yesterday on a side road going under 45 mph.

Since the dealer seems to have no clue, would an independent repair shop be a good option? I have a guy I know and trust, but not sure if this issue is really something to stick with a dealership on.
Did the dealer scan it for codes? What codes did they find?

·
Super Moderator
23,605 Posts
afraid I don't have that info. I was told, through my wife who was there, that scanning didn't find anything.
Was the vehicle left with service so their tech could get the problem to repeat and perform a thorough diagnosis of it?

·
Super Moderator
23,605 Posts
it was and I understand they couldn't repeat the problem except for whatever diagnosis revealed that a battery replacement may solve the problem.
It didn't come across that way in your post. Seemed as though your wife was waiting the entire time. A proper diagnosis for 'sometime' occurrences can take days of test drives with the scan tool recording data.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Finally, grabbed the code via a code scanner I just purchased: C0161.

Seems perhaps brake pedal position sensor? Looks like a common problem, but perhaps not for the 2016 model?

·
Super Moderator
23,605 Posts
Seems perhaps brake pedal position sensor? Looks like a common problem, but perhaps not for the 2016 model?
FYI about changing the BPP sensor: The job is a fairly straight forward DIY replacement. Once the new part is installed, it must be calibrated to the vehicle's brake system. Many scanners have the calibration function needed to complete the job, especially those capable of reading ABS, BCM, and chassis codes. If your scanner doesn't have the calibration function, you should take the vehicle to a qualified shop and have it done. There have been way too many posts here where members didn't do the calibration and the problem recurred.

·
Registered
10 Posts
FYI about changing the BPP sensor: The job is a fairly straight forward DIY replacement. Once the new part is installed, it must be calibrated to the vehicle's brake system. Many scanners have the calibration function needed to complete the job, especially those able to read ABS, BCM, and chassis codes. If your scanner doesn't have the calibration function, you should take the vehicle to a qualified shop and have it done. There have been way too many posts here where members didn't do the calibration and the problem recurred.
Thanks. My scanner is mid-level at best and I'm happy to let a professional deal with the issue..

·
Registered
10 Posts
perhaps a dumb question. Linked the scanner up the "Repair Solutions 2" bluetooth app on my phone. In that app's reports, it shows me the code (C0161-00 antilock brake switch circuit) but also says EBCM - Electronic Brake Control Module. Are we still thinking its the BPP sensor or something bigger?

Font Rectangle Screenshot Multimedia Brand

·
Super Moderator
23,605 Posts
perhaps a dumb question. Linked the scanner up the "Repair Solutions 2" bluetooth app on my phone. In that app's reports, it shows me the code (C0161-00 antilock brake switch circuit) but also says EBCM - Electronic Brake Control Module. Are we still thinking its the BPP sensor or something bigger?
I believe the reference to EBCM is just a category title since the BPP signal is passed through the ECBM. It still appears related to the BPP switch. Use the code designation as keyword in a search through this forum as well as the Enclave and Traverse forums to read about what others have done to repair the problem. Almost all discuss changing the BPP switch to resolve it.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts