GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen several posts on this condition occurring, where the Engine Power is reduced, and the stabilitrack and traction control go off, and the message is to service both. I have NOT seen a consistent solution to this problem. There have been some that said electrical, the battery, something with the AWD, etc. I have had a local dealer tell me that it is the Throttle Body. This is a serious issue, needing a resolution. Imagine being on the highway, you lose engine power, and a tractor-trailer and other are barreling on behind you. How do you get out of the way? Once pulled over, and letting the car sit for a short while, the car will start and run fine. This is an intermittent problem, that comes unpredictably. Is there an answer? Is it the Throttle Body? I have this cleaned twice, once by the dealer and once by a local mechanic. This is short-term fix evidently. I need something permanent. Someone please advise, and share your success in getting this resolved.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I had a stabilitrack and traction control issue on my 2011 and it was the steering wheel positioning sensor that was causing the problem. Replaced that sensor and never had another problem.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I had this problem without engine light and without power reduced issue. Was mearly a wheel sensor in my case. I admit gm needs to rethink this how the fail safe feature works. And yes there is no consistent source of failure for this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So both of you had issues with the steering wheel sensor. Thanks for the response, I will pass this information along. Just this morning when I spoke with my mechanic, he mentioned possibly the ABS sensor malfunctioning, thinking that the car was stuck in snow or something. That it is acting as it should, but for the wrong reason. But again, since you've had success in replacing that wheel sensor, then I will proceed with that. Thanks again.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yes just to clarify mine was the wheel (abs) speed sensor at the left rear wheel hub

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the clarification. That is what the mechanic had said, so that is what we will look for by having him check out the ABS sensors. Fingers crossed.
I'm sure you've had the sunroof leakage thing, so I won't even bring that up.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Check for the oil in the intake tube, mine is in being repaired now and GM has a recall/fix to replace the valve cover with an updated one. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
jad1030 said:
Thank you for the clarification. That is what the mechanic had said, so that is what we will look for by having him check out the ABS sensors. Fingers crossed.
I'm sure you've had the sunroof leakage thing, so I won't even bring that up.
I'm wondering about the loss of power? That seems strange to me, however when my wife crashed our 2008 Acadia the stability control came on and straightened the vehicle out (aiming towards a pole) and she put her foot to the floor on the gas and steered into the corner. The throttle dropped to idle as the stability control took over (and crashed her into the pole)

Sunroof issue? Why do you ask about that being an issue, it is not an issue on the MAJORITY of sunroof equipped Acadias, Traverses, Outlooks, and Enclaves. Most do not leak.

·
Registered
10 Posts
jad1030 said:
I have seen several posts on this condition occurring, where the Engine Power is reduced, and the stabilitrack and traction control go off, and the message is to service both. I have NOT seen a consistent solution to this problem. There have been some that said electrical, the battery, something with the AWD, etc. I have had a local dealer tell me that it is the Throttle Body. This is a serious issue, needing a resolution. Imagine being on the highway, you lose engine power, and a tractor-trailer and other are barreling on behind you. How do you get out of the way? Once pulled over, and letting the car sit for a short while, the car will start and run fine. This is an intermittent problem, that comes unpredictably. Is there an answer? Is it the Throttle Body? I have this cleaned twice, once by the dealer and once by a local mechanic. This is short-term fix evidently. I need something permanent. Someone please advise, and share your success in getting this resolved.
This is a serious issue. Is it wide-spread? If so, I will buy an Enclave instead of Acadia. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
kgkg said:
This is a serious issue. Is it wide-spread? If so, I will buy an Enclave instead of Acadia. Thank you!
The Enclave and the Acadia have the same guts so the chance for the "issue" should be the same for both models.

·
Registered
10 Posts
MedicRxDoc said:
The Enclave and the Acadia have the same guts so the chance for the "issue" should be the same for both models.
ok. Thanks. Did GM fixed the power steering issues in the 2014 model of Enclave/Acadia/Traverse. These issues sound like very dangerous, which makes me leaning toward purchasing an Infiniti QX60.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Before you decide on the Inifiniti, be known that it has sever transmission issues.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/05/nissan-pathfinder-infiniti-jx-transmission-safety-probe/
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/03/us-autos-nissan-investigation-idUSBRE9820LY20130903

This forum for the Pathfinders is quite an eye opener:
http://www.pathfindertalk.com/forum/engine-technical-discussion/

I would suggest if you are after reliability then probably the new 2014 Highlander may be your best bet, considering they are carrying over the engine that has not known to have issues and they are using a 6 speed transmission that has\was being used in several of Toyota\LExus cars. I may consider the highlander myself when it comes out next year although in the last 20,000Kms I have not had any concerns with my Acadia.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Its the timing chains... now in the 08's and above.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
capecodacadia said:
Its the timing chains... now in the 08's and above.
It was also in the pre-08 GM models with the engine back to Cads in 05 or 06

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks! I went to try out the Infiniti, its 3rd row has much less leg room than Acadia. Highlander has much smaller leg room on the 3rd row than Infiniti.

Now I do not have many choices. To set my expectation straight, how should I expect the reliability of Acadia? Has it fixed the power steering and other serious issues? Thank you all for very helpful comments!

ucool80 said:
Before you decide on the Inifiniti, be known that it has sever transmission issues.

I would suggest if you are after reliability then probably the new 2014 Highlander may be your best bet, considering they are carrying over the engine that has not known to have issues and they are using a 6 speed transmission that has\was being used in several of Toyota\LExus cars. I may consider the highlander myself when it comes out next year although in the last 20,000Kms I have not had any concerns with my Acadia.

·
Registered
151 Posts
kgkg said:
Thanks! I went to try out the Infiniti, its 3rd row has much less leg room than Acadia. Highlander has much smaller leg room on the 3rd row than Infiniti.

Now I do not have many choices. To set my expectation straight, how should I expect the reliability of Acadia? Has it fixed the power steering and other serious issues? Thank you all for very helpful comments!
What MY Acadia are you looking at? I found that not many trucks in its class have good 3rd row leg room. That is one reason we went with the Acadia. Along with the amount of cargo space with all the seats up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App[/color]

·
Registered
10 Posts
PRLx1967 said:
What MY Acadia are you looking at? I found that not many trucks in its class have good 3rd row leg room. That is one reason we went with the Acadia. Along with the amount of cargo space with all the seats up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App[/color]
I am looking at 2014 SLT-2

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
kgkg said:
1) It isn't really a serious issue, the Stabilitrac and Traction Control systems are useless anyway, so good riddance if they permanently self-destruct.

2) It isn't wide spread at all, very rare and typically just an ABS sensor or indexed ring that has gone bad or corroded.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Nvr2loud said:
1) It isn't really a serious issue, the Stabilitrac and Traction Control systems are useless anyway, so good riddance if they permanently self-destruct.

2) It isn't wide spread at all, very rare and typically just an ABS sensor or indexed ring that has gone bad or corroded.
You may say they are useless, but they saved my life earlier this year.

I was responding to a call from my wife being in an accident and was traveling at a higher rate if speed than usual, 90mph or so in my 08 Red Line Vue. Another car came into my lane and I panic braked and swerved. The system kicked in an stopped my from rolling. I could hear it working the brakes. Yes I know the irony of responding to an accident and almost getting in one myself. What can I say emotions took over. :confused:

Now the traction control by itself is almost useless in most cases. But that's because most if us let off the gas as soon as it comes on. If you hold the pedal steady it will work the wheels to get you in order. Go get into a more powerful car and floor it with traction control on. It will slip for a second then correct itself.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
TJs07 said:
You may say they are useless, but they saved my life earlier this year.

I was responding to a call from my wife being in an accident and was traveling at a higher rate if speed than usual, 90mph or so in my 08 Red Line Vue. Another car came into my lane and I panic braked and swerved. The system kicked in an stopped my from rolling. I could hear it working the brakes. Yes I know the irony of responding to an accident and almost getting in one myself. What can I say emotions took over. :confused:

Now the traction control by itself is almost useless in most cases. But that's because most if us let off the gas as soon as it comes on. If you hold the pedal steady it will work the wheels to get you in order. Go get into a more powerful car and floor it with traction control on. It will slip for a second then correct itself.
Traction control prevents power from transferring to the rear wheels by braking the front wheels, completely useless on an AWD Acadia, but wonderful on a FWD Acadia.

The problem with stability control is that the vehicle is not aware of the direction of the road. The system itself works flawlessly, straightens the Acadia out quickly. The problem I have with it is during corners, when I get a slight oversteer... it comes on and stops me from travelling in my intended direction. I can turn it off on my Sierra, and the Sierra goes where I want it to go. When it is on and I try to weight transfer the truck around a corner... it makes it go straight out of the corner to the outside (towards traffic). I feel that stability control causes more issues then it solves. My wife crashed her 2008 because of Stability Control, all the driver training in the world could not help... she steered out of the skid, heavily applied the gas, stayed far away from the brakes... and BAM!! Stability control took over and she went perfectly straight off the road at a high rate of speed. Hit a pole, spun around it then barrel rolled into the woods, complete write-off. If the Acadia had gone where she aimed, she wouldn't have even hit the shoulder.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts