GMC Acadia Forum banner
181 - 189 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
I believe it was 2012 or 2013 when GM went away from the plastic laminate discs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I believe it was 2012 or 2013 when GM went away from the plastic laminate discs.
Thanks, more research today I and I see they do not use the laminate discs in the Gen2 of the transmission. At this point I'm going to take the risk and replace the TCM. I got quotes today to buy the car as is, and they came back at 2900 to 3300. For 600 dollars I take the chance of getting it drivable and trade in value is $9100.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stpete's original post and the replies was critical for helping me make good decisions. Thank you!

My son has a 2010 Cadillac SRX, FWD with 6T70 tranny with about 70k. Very similar to the Acadia. He had been having occasional gear slipping and not wanting to shift into 2nd when cold fairly regularly. I pulled the codes - P0877 and P0989 indicating problem with pressure switches in the TECM. After researching this forum and others, I ordered the Sonnax kit (124740-TL30). I also ordered up the alldatadiy.com subscription for the caddy and waited for a nice day in the driveway.

For the SRX, there is no worries from the air intake. But lots of other stuff gets in the way to remove the tecm cover - really the hardest part. We put the front end on stands, removed the bumper and grill, battery tray/holder/rest, and drained all the ATF. Then had to deal with the criss-crossed wiring harness that truss up the TECM cover (kind of reminded me of The Gimp from Pulp Fiction).

After some strategic removal of zipties, we could get at the dozen or so bolts holding the cover on (from top, from underneath and through gap next to radiator), disconnecting the TECMs wiring harness on the front and slithering the cover out between the right side of the radiator and the driver's side headlight housing. The rest was pretty easy. Disconnected the three connectors and removed the bolts holding the TECM in place and carefully numbered each according the diagrams in Alldatadiy. This is important, because they go back in and tightened in a specific order.

Once the TECM on the bench, I inspected the laminate discs in the pressure switches. As you can see from the pictures, it was a mess. One was missing (with the plunger found in the drain pain!), three were ruptured. I don't know how the tranny functioned at all. The Sonnax kit was very simple - to remove and then install the replacement seals and laminate discs. Video and instructions were easy to follow. Then we just put it all back together, tightening in order on Alldatadiy diagram, filling with ATF. We let her idle for a few minutes, checked for leaks before we put her gently in gear and went for a test drive. So far, so good.

Two local transmission shops wanted to replace the entire tranny for more than $4k. This site and other research, we put in 5 hours and less than $100 in parts. Oh yea, I'm not a professional but determined and cheap.

Thank you for all the advice and good luck!
:
Engineering Wood Font Audio equipment Technology Wood Rectangle Engineering Font Art

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
mbrahmey, thanks for the update/info

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey everyone. Thanks for the great thread

I have a 2014 Acadia awd slt with 150 000 kms and I was 200 kms from home at the family cabin when my engine light came on and then the transmission Would not shift out of second(maybe stuck in second). It was a bumpy road and we were stuck in a downpour before the light came on. I drove for a short bit and pulled of and restarted the car with no change. I drove another few kms and pulled off snd shut off the car and pulled the tcm fuse and put it back in. The engine light was off and I was able to drive home without issue. After I got home I took it for a drive and it did a really weird shift from 2-3 and then the traction control and stabilizer warnings came on

I pulled the codes today and got p0700/p0756 for a stuck solenoid. We had a rattle in what we thought was the engine after coming to a stop and the dealer (extended 3rd party warranty) said they had heard worse and we would be on the hook for the tear down if they didn’t find anything (over a year ago). And the head mechanic didn’t think they would find anything. Anyhow I noticed a month ago that the rattle/buzzing noise stopped when the car was put in reverse and returned as soon at it was put I neutral/ park/neural. The rattle/buzz went away after the car was parked for 30 seconds idling. I started looking into solenoids In this transmission and came across this thread which made me think about pulling the fuse as soon as the issue came up at the cabin.

Based on the above I know a flush is not going to change the functionality of the solenoid, and it’s unlikely valve train issues based on the code snd the buzzing.

I know this thread is mainly about pre 2013s with the older thecm, but I assume the process is the same? I see rock auto has rebuilt a/c Delco thecms and would need to provide my vin. Would I still need to have this programmed by the dealer or a transmission shop? There isn’t a lot of infoabout post 2013 acadias.

I’m going To call for an estimate on changing it at a local transmission place I trust that suggested doing nothing to my transfer case when a loud banging from underneath couldn’t be track down( it was a socket rolling under a floor mat hitting the seat mount bolt that I discovered a month later )

based on the earlier photos in this thread I’m sure I can handle it. I replaced the high pressure steering hose and pump and even pulled the pully off the pump while it was in the engine bay so I didn’t have to mess with getting it around the exhaust etc. I replaced the pump and then put the pulley back on with the pump back in the engine bay. I also just replaced the wheel hub/ bearing on my 03 Sierra which fully let go I highway taking out the axel and damaging the knuckle. I got all the parts from a wrecker other then the wheel bearing which I didn’t want to trust and bought neW.

So has anyone done this on a 2013 or newer Acadia/traverse/enclave and were there any additional steps?

·
Registered
10 Posts
At 121,000 on my '09, I got spooked about the wave plate. So I went through all the stuff to lower the cradle to expose the trans end. Took all the trans guts out and replaced all fibers and wave plate. The one in it was perfect! You have to remove the "trans pan" where the TECM is. 3 of the little disks were split. I bought the Sonnax kit, paid somewhere around $50 for it, replaced all the disks. Works just fine after 158,000 on the car. The kit is a little tricky to operate. Used one disk to test, and the others went fine. I recommend the Sonnax.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Transmission shop coolant fins the freeze frame p756 code so I paid 100$ for a road test.

Anyone else have any ideas on what needs to be done to program it?

·
Super Moderator
22,450 Posts
Anyone else have any ideas on what needs to be done to program it?
Why didn't you get an estimate for the repair? If the TEHCM must be replaced, it should be programmed to the vehicle before/during its installation - not something a DIYer can do without special tools and software access. Replacing just a solenoid may cause the transmission to respond a bit differently until the adaptive-driving program catches up to the repair.

·
Registered
12 Posts
No. They said there was nothing wrong with it to estimate. They said they can replace it but they have to take it to the dealer for them to program it after. He said i could do the same.

From this thread and everything else, it has to be programmed after the fact?

181 - 189 of 189 Posts