GMC Acadia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 137 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,300 Posts
Chop-Chop said:
So is there another gasket around the connector? OP mentions that but I have looked around but have not found the part number. I want to order the gaskets too and prefer to order all at once. I have not seen the OP active in a while so If anyone knows please post the number. TIA
Idea ... ... Contact Dorman, Sonnax, or other TEHCM supplier/rebuilder and ask them. :shrug:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Tried Dorman and Rockauto that but they could not help. :thumbdown:

I think I found the seals on Rockauto and since they are < 5 bucks I am ordering them anyways.

ACDELCO 24229593 -- TCU Valve Body Cover Gasket

ACDELCO 24216446 -- TCU Valve Body Cover Connector Gasket

Will update later if indeed connector one fits but looks like it will.

:cheers:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Chop-Chop said:
Tried Dorman and Rockauto that but they could not help. :thumbdown:

I think I found the seals on Rockauto and since they are < 5 bucks I am ordering them anyways.

ACDELCO 24229593 -- TCU Valve Body Cover Gasket

ACDELCO 24216446 -- TCU Valve Body Cover Connector Gasket

Will update later if indeed connector one fits but looks like it will.

:cheers:
Those look right. I would've preferred to replace them.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Well some thumbs down to Rockauto. They sent me a radiator fan! :banghead: :shrug:

I tried to talk to their CSR to get the replacement/correct part with shipping expedited but got turned down. They may be contracting the CSR calls because they appear to have shipped it 1 day. :shrug:

We'll see how long it takes since I am on the left coast.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Speleos said:
Do you get to keep the fan? ;D
I wish! ;D

Rockauto would not send me the TCM until I shipped back the radiator fan. :facepalm:

So this weekend I completed the TEHCM change and found out one of the membranes was busted.

Unfortunately I can not claim success like the OP. After I finished the job I did a test drive and noticed some rough shifting as expected until it learns. But then after a few miles I got thrown codes p700 (tehcm) and p796 (clutch pressure control solenoid). Now with the CEL, tranny shifts into 2nd very late around 4,000 rpm. Did not venture into trying 3rd gear because it was getting dark and late.

Anyone knows if the clutch pressure control solenoid is inside the tehcm? ??? are they the same pressure switches under the disc/membranes?

I will be calling Dorman tomorrow as I also fear Rockauto may not have sent my VIN to dorman. Although I included it in the order because the website asks for it, what can I expect from a company that sends me a radiator fan instead. :angryfire:

When I called Rockauto and asked about programming they claimed no VIN was required even though their ordering process requires one. I'll see what Dorman says.

·
Super Moderator
18,300 Posts
Chop-Chop said:
Anyone knows if the clutch pressure control solenoid is inside the tehcm? ??? are they the same pressure switches under the disc/membranes?
I believe all the transmission solenoids are in the TEHCM. You can find a diagram of these somewhere on the web. If I find it first, I'll post a link for you.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Speleos said:
I believe all the transmission solenoids are in the TEHCM. You can find a diagram of these somewhere on the web. If I find it first, I'll post a link for you.
Thanks.

This is all I have found so far

there is not a lot of detail. Wondering if I got a bad TCM or if the clutch control switch is somewhere else.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Speleos said:
Thank you. :thumb:

The diagram and document is very helpful to further understand this TCM. I wish I knew someone with those diagnostic tools to test the TECHM.

I am not well versed in Transmissions terminology but I guess the Shift Solenoids in the diagram are what the ODBII code refers to on code p0796 (clutch pressure control solenoid).

This is pointing to a bad TCM again, either I got a bad unit or some debris left in the tranny made it into the TCM and busted it again.

If my wave plate is dying, can you guys conjure a spell to make it go bad in less than 10k miles. ;D

it needs to go to rest in 10k miles as I am at 110k miles and the extended warranty expires at 120k miles. :banghead:

Ohh we'll see.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Well according to Dorman I got a defective TCM. :banghead:

They are shipping me a new one. I hope all this bad luck eventually turns around. I am feeling shortchanged by Karma right now. ;D

·
Super Moderator
18,300 Posts
Chop-Chop said:
Well according to Dorman I got a defective TCM. :banghead:

They are shipping me a new one. I hope all this bad luck eventually turns around. I am feeling shortchanged by Karma right now. ;D
Look at the bright side. You'll have some good practical experience with R&R of a TEHCM.

·
Registered
438 Posts
This weekend I replaced the TCM I got to replace the defective one I first received. It has been acting normal for 2 days. :thumb: Dorman contacted me and mentioned that they found some debris on the defective unit and they think my tranny is on the way out. If the TCM fails again before the tranny does it will confirm that metal shavings are causing the TCM's to fail. I shall see.

I wanted to add another note about replacing the connector gasket since it was not covered in the OP. There is a note in the repair manual about some holes on the gasket and that they need to be pointing into the TCM to avoid leaks. Attaching a picture below:

I am seriously thinking about keeping her past 120k miles. I have 15k miles to think about it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All, new here. While I do not have an Acadia, I do have an '07 Outlook XR AWD. I started experiencing the dreaded get stuck in first gear headache at around 124K miles. Got around the issue by dropping it down into low and manually shifting up to 6th gear.

Had the car to the dealer for water in the cabin due to a clogged A/C condensate line and inquired about getting the transmission fixed. I was quoted over $1k to repair it. As I did not have an extra $1k sitting around, I decided to just keep driving using the manual method. As a side note, the 3-5-R waveplates were replaced at 85K miles.

Even with dropping down into low and toggling up to 6th, it would sometimes still stick in 1st. The only way to get it to shift is to stop, turn off the car and let the TEHCM reset. Upon restarting, the transmission would then shift again.

Fast forward 10k miles and having grown tired of the constant non shifting and check engine lights, I started some research into replacing the TEHCM. While searching the net I found that instead of replacing the TEHCM, you could just replace the failed membranes in the existing TEHCM. The parts that I ordered was the following:

Transgo PSR-5 Pressure Switch Repair (repair kit for replacing damaged pressure switch diaphragms). The cost was approximately $30. I also subscribed to AlldataDIY to get the diagrams to ensure that I put everything back together properly. ;D

I did the repairs this weekend and so far, so good. Three of the membranes were compromised when I took the TEHCM out. Transmission is shifting properly now with the gear selector in D. Happy to have saved some serious $$ by fixing it myself.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hello all,

I'm preparing to complete this repair on my Outlook and have a couple questions.

Question 1- if I have the front end up on ramps for this repair will I run into any issues when I drain the transmission fluid / will it drain enough if the vehicle isn't level? If I must I could jack up each side individually after draining but I'd prefer not to do so.

Question 2 - Are there two electrical connectors in this area of the transmission (one on the outside / one inside the trans cover)? The OP mentions confirming that you can remove the connector before you begin but the one in the photo looks like its under the cover and I don't see the red lock that the OP mentions.

·
Super Moderator
18,300 Posts
Outlook Guy said:
Question 1- if I have the front end up on ramps for this repair will I run into any issues when I drain the transmission fluid / will it drain enough if the vehicle isn't level? If I must I could jack up each side individually after draining but I'd prefer not to do so.

Question 2 - Are there two electrical connectors in this area of the transmission (one on the outside / one inside the trans cover)? The OP mentions confirming that you can remove the connector before you begin but the one in the photo looks like its under the cover and I don't see the red lock that the OP mentions.
1. You should be OK. More fluid will drain once the cover is removed.

2. I believe the connector mentioned is the main electrical connection to the transmission on the outside/top. It's not shown in his photos.

·
Registered
63 Posts
How did it go? I'm going to fix mine on my Outlook next week after my gaskets come in. My TEHCM came in the mail but no gaskets yet. My TECHM came with a device to pull info (programming?) from OBD port and stores the info untill the new one is installed. I did not see this step in the original post. Is this the norm now when it comes to installing/programming the TEHCM?

·
Super Moderator
18,300 Posts
lookout said:
... My TECHM came with a device to pull info (programming?) from OBD port and stores the info until the new one is installed. I did not see this step in the original post. Is this the norm now when it comes to installing/programming the TEHCM?
You would be in a better position to supply us with an answer. Seems others had their TEHCM programmed by the part supplier. Could be a way to preserve any 'adaptive driving' data. :shrug:

·
Registered
84 Posts
I will be completing this repair next week when I have a day off so sorry no feedback yet. I'm also going the route of repairing the membranes instead of replacing the TECHM so I'm sorry I won't be much help there. I hope the repair goes well for you though. :thumb:

21 - 40 of 137 Posts
About this Discussion
136 Replies
44 Participants
speleos
GMC Acadia Forum
Join our Acadia Forum community where enthusiasts discuss mods and troubleshooting for the GMC Acadia and Denali Crossover SUV.
Full Forum Listing