GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I've been in the market to get an Acadia for some time now, listening, learning, reading, saving until I had decided which year, etc to go for. Knew I wanted an SLT2 with tan (grey?) leather, captain's chairs. Tonight I just happen to cruise by a dealer who had a used Acadia sitting there, so I pulled in. Can you all tell me if you feel this is a 'Gotta Do It!' :blob: vehicle, or if anything rubs you wrong :eek:hno:? Thanks!

2007 Acadia SLT2
Carbon Black
Tan (grey) leather
Captain chairs
Sunroofs
DVD
Navigation
4,793 miles, yes, that's 4,793 miles, for a 2007
$32,900

Opinions please? Have I found the Holy Grail or should I run away like a little girl? :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well, it might be okay. But remember, the 07s and some of the 08s had transmission problems. Some sunroofs have leaked. I would look for water damage. Also, the original owner may have experienced problems with it and that is why he turned it back in. Plus the 07 model was the first year of the Acadia. First year models tend to have bugs that need working out. That is why I waited and plan on buying a 09. Plus I get the new V6 with more horse power. The car needs it. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I would be leery as well for all the reasons that skyhawk posted. Why did someone turn in an '07 with less than 5K on it? What problems were they experiencing? Can they pull the maintenance history for you? I don't even know if they would as that probably wouldn't be a very good selling point.

But with the SLTs... leaky sunroofs, power steering problems, electrical problems, not to mention transmission issues - it's plenty of cause for concern. It sounds like you've been reading this forum long enough to already know all of these things though and the chances you would be taking on picking up a used '07. Ultimately, you're the one who has to live with it. :)

Good luck in your decision!

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
It might have been the gas mileage, but I too would be cautious about moving into something that might have been a problem. I would want to see the complete repair history of the vehicle from the shop that did the maintenance.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I would go for a new 2009 SLT-1,
which is about the same price.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have a 2007 SLT 2 and have not had one issue with it. With that said, a 2007 with only 4800 miles, something caused this person to not drive much. Gas mileage could be an issue of why they are selling but based on the miles they drive this would not mean big dollars spent on fuel. Based on the specs this would have been a $44K price on the sticker, down to $32,900 that sounds like a great deal, almost too good to be true!!!

I would take a close look at all the items mentioned above *(water leaks, electrical problems etc...), I think it is worth looking at closer due to the price but I would be leary. I would demand they pull up the repair history on the vin number before even considering any discussion about a purchase.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I think you need to be wary of over reacting to the fears of this internet board. There are plenty of good reasons for a low mileage vehicle to be out there without problems. For many, including myself, a vehicle of this size is not their primary vehicle, and in fact I only use mine when I need to carry that many people or that much cargo. I have an '07 with 5k on it and I also have several other vehicles that I prefer when I have less to carry . Although I certainly do enjoy mine, and its had no problems, I could easily part with it and the next owner would be getting a fine vehicle. There are lots of other real world reasons to part with vehicles as well without getting too deeply into folks who simlpy change their minds on what they like, divorces, bad finances and other major real life changes that cause plenty of fine vehicles to turn over in the market more often than one might think.

Any repair work that would have been done on the vehicle you're looking at would have been done under warranty and recorded in the GM computer. The dealer should be able to show you a printout and it should be no big deal. If it looks good, great, if not, or if he says he can't, then move on. FWIW, in my opinion, that price is only fair, and in fact I bought my similarly equiped '07 SLT2 for only a few grand more than that new. I think there's still some negotiating room in that price. As they say...your mileage may vary...

·
Registered
730 Posts
GerryL said:
I think you need to be wary of over reacting to the fears of this internet board. There are plenty of good reasons for a low mileage vehicle to be out there without problems. For many, including myself, a vehicle of this size is not their primary vehicle, and in fact I only use mine when I need to carry that many people or that much cargo. I have a '07 with 5k on it and I have several other vehicles that I prefer when I have less to carry . Although I certainly do enjoy mine, and its had no problems, I could easily part with it and the next owner would be getting a fine vehicle. There are lots of other real world reasons to part with vehicles without getting into folks who simly change their minds on what they like, divorces, bad finances and other major real life changes that cause plenty of fine vehicles to turn over more often than one might think.
I agree!

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I actually agree too. There could be a myriad of other, non-negative, reasons that someone would turn in their Acadia with low mileage. But it doesn't hurt to proceed with caution. GerryL is right on with this statement:

Any repair work that would have been done on the vehicle you're looking at would be done under warranty and recorded in the GM computer. The dealer should be able to show you a printout and it should be no big deal. If it looks good, great, if not, or if he says he can't, then move on.
I didn't mean to sound like I was damning all SLT models with my earlier post. You just sounded so excited, I didn't think it would be a great idea to jump into it blind and not do a some background checking on the vehicle first. :)

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
skyhawk said:
But remember, the 07s and some of the 08s had transmission problems.
I think this would be more transmission programming problems. I haven't heard of any mechanical issues with this transmission, with the exception of Web Raven's vibration problem. It appears the GM may have finally got the programming "right" with the latest update.

Some sunroofs have leaked. I would look for water damage.
:ditto: I would be leery of this vehicle if sunroof leaks led the original owner to trade it in. Water and electronics don't mix too well.

Have the dealer show you the warranty claim history, or I can pull it up for you Becky if you have the VIN#.

Aside from that, it looks like a decent starting point for a deal to be worked out.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
GeoHawk said:
I think this would be more transmission programming problems. I haven't heard of any mechanical issues with this transmission, with the exception of Web Raven's vibration problem. It appears the GM may have finally got the programming "right" with the latest update.
The vibration was a result of the October 2007 programming update.

Also, they one time found that the transmission seal was leaking, replaced it and then the replacement leaked, so they replaced it again. I have not since heard that it started leaking again. If it is, they have chosen to ignore it when it's been in for service. ;) I choose to believe it's fixed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It could also be a fleet rental that has been turned in, or a fleet vehicle that has been turned in. If that is the case, you can probably negotiate another $1500 to $2000 off the price. The best thing I can recommend is to ask the dealership where the Acadia came from, and what is its history. You can also check with carfacts.com.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh my Gosh, you people are wonderful! SO much great advice, Thank You!

I did what you said and called the dealer. The Acadia is not being sold at a GMC dealer so I wondered if they could get GMC records, or if they would.

What they did is ran a Carfax report, which they said showed everything to be "perfect". I thought carfax only told of accident history (?) so I asked for the VIN# so I could look into actual maintenance history.

The VIN # is 1GKER33767J103549. Does anyone know how I find out more about this car's history?

THANK YOU!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
BeckyD8164 said:
Oh my Gosh, you people are wonderful! SO much great advice, Thank You!

I did what you said and called the dealer. The Acadia is not being sold at a GMC dealer so I wondered if they could get GMC records, or if they would.

What they did is ran a Carfax report, which they said showed everything to be "perfect". I thought carfax only told of accident history (?) so I asked for the VIN# so I could look into actual maintenance history.

The VIN # is 1GKER33767J103549. Does anyone know how I find out more about this car's history?

THANK YOU!!!!
Becky, here's the warranty repair history in GMVIS for this Acadia (maintenance history is not kept in GMVIS):

VIN : 1GKER33767J103549
CLAIM HISTORY
R.O Date R.O Number Type Labor Operation Odometer Reading
05/29/2008 355782 # B2852 - HOSE, SUNROOF DRAIN - FRONT - R&R OR REPLACE 3725 miles
05/29/2008 355782 # Z7901 - 1-DAY COURTESY TRANSPORTATION 3725 miles
05/23/2007 341310 # Z7902 - 2-DAY COURTESY TRANSPORTATION 1559 miles
05/23/2007 341310 # V1563 - 07043 - REPROGRAM SDM 1559 miles
04/27/2007 340316 # Y0136 - 07008 SERVICE UPDATE - INSTALL AIR INLET GRILLE PANEL RET 1261 miles
04/27/2007 340316 # V1572 - 07058 REPROGRAM TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE (TCM) 1261 miles
04/27/2007 340316 # V1574 - 07073 LUBE I-SHAFT & INSPECT LIFTGATE 1261 miles
04/27/2007 340316 # V1576 - 07074 PERFORM SWITCH FUNCTIONAL TEST A?? REPLACE SWITCH H 1261 miles
12/18/2006 A03549 I Z7000 - PRE-DELIVERY INSPECTION - BASE TIME 0 miles

This Acadia was delivered on 12/30/06, so it just wasn't driven very much. GMVIS does not keep track of ownership like a Carfax report would, so I cannot tell if it was just a one owner vehicle or who owned it. Also, this vehicle has not had the September 2007 Transmission Calibration update campaign performed or the optional May 2008 update either, so if you drive it and are not happy with the engine/transmission performance, there are software updates out there that will help significantly. The only item listed I would be really concerned with would be the sunroof leak. If they have fixed the drain tubes, that should take care of the leaks but be sure to check the headliner and carpet for any staining/mildew etc.

·
Registered
681 Posts
It took them 12 months to put on 1200 miles and then in less than 1 1/2 months they put on 1000 miles, they must have gone on a nice vacation/trip before deciding to sell it. Not anything to worry about just thought it was interesting that almost 20% of the total miles driven were in the last month.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
GeoHawk, HOW did you DO that?!? :eek: To you and everyone, I can't thank you enough, you are awesome!

I spoke to the dealer again and it is a 1-owner vehicle. I also spoke to GM and they said they did replace the sunroof 'drain'. Other than that, they said they can't find anything wrong with the car.

The Acadia salesman is being pushy, hate that and makes me what to say no. On the upside, the car has a great price for the options and very low miles. On the downside, it's an 07 and who knows if the tranny will die this coming year. It's under warranty until 12/30/11 for the tranny so that's good but if it's in the shop for a long time I am without wheels for me and my kids (and one is handicapped so I need a large vehicle for him).

Part of me says to wait, wait until more used ones appear and the prices will come down with SUV's not being as popular right now. May not get all the options though and others would have more miles. I originally had my heart set on a white one, though, so waiting could allow me that.

So here's the next question: If you had to choose your favorite color, OR loads of options, which would be more important to you? Silly question I guess, but I may as well throw it out there for more input!

Thank you again, all you experts!

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
a. The tranny won't "die" on you. I don't know of any reports where the transmission has actually given up and ceased to function. Anyone?? You may just find that it doesn't perform to your satisfaction and if that is the case, there are the October 07 update (which I personally had issues with) and the May 08 update which has been nothing shy of fabulous.

b. If I had to choose color versus options, personally, I would go with color. I once bought a vehicle that wasn't the color I wanted, but had everything else I wanted and I regretted it every day I had to look at it until I dumped it a year later for my Acadia.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I wouldn't trust a carfax report. I have a friend that did a carfax on a known vehicle that had been in a major crash a year prior to the report. The carfax report came back clean. I also did one on my own vehicle that had been repaired at a reputable body shop and it came back clean. So much for carfax reports for me.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
BeckyD8164 said:
The Acadia salesman is being pushy, hate that and makes me what to say no.

So here's the next question: If you had to choose your favorite color, OR loads of options, which would be more important to you? Silly question I guess, but I may as well throw it out there for more input!

Thank you again, all you experts!
Pushy in a down economy = no sale with me. Did you have to sign a paper that you were ready to BUY TODAY? There is a great article on Edmunds.com where they paid a writer to work as a car salesman and it was very insightful.

I priced the model you're looking at on Edmunds and got an approximate dealer value of $32,254 (this is not a GM certified price).

As for color vs. options, you have to evaluate what options you really have to have, and if they can be cost-effectively retrofitted to another vehicle. The DVD/Nav system is an example that can be done for around $1,000 (or perhaps less if you can do some work yourself) vs. over $2300 new. The trailer towing @ $425 can't be duplicated for that price for what you get.

We were facing the same thing on an Outlook-
One was the blue/gray we wanted but had the sunroof we didn't want and didn't have the remote start we wanted.
The other was white/gray and had exactly what we wanted.

The wife (it will be her vehicle) said she would choose the one with the options vs. the color scheme, even though the remote start is not too difficult to have added.

As mentioned by others, the 2009 models will be able to be ordered soon. I would price one of those out before I decided on a 2007 for the amount of money involved.

·
Registered
10 Posts
kcf said:
It could also be a fleet rental that has been turned in, or a fleet vehicle that has been turned in. If that is the case, you can probably negotiate another $1500 to $2000 off the price. The best thing I can recommend is to ask the dealership where the Acadia came from, and what is its history. You can also check with carfacts.com.
For what its worth, there were two 2008 used Acadias with less than 10k for sale on the lot when we bought ours new in May. The sales person told us they were fleet returns, and both were SLT's without sun roofs and without any On Star. I recall that the GMC website lists the On Star delete as an option for fleet sales. Sounds like the original poster's Acadia is a bit fancy for a fleet vehicle.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts