GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll probably be driving up to Lake Tahoe (elev. 6,200 feet) in the next few days and the temperature up there last night was 9º. Is the OEM windshield washer fluid good for sub-freezing temps? Is there any consensus here on which year-round fluid or additive is preferred?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Anything rated to -20*F is good.
Don't waste your money on fancy washer fluids.
IMO.

If you want to check the stock fluid, spray a little in a small glass and place it in your freezer.
Most home freezers are about -8*F to -20*F.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Copperhead13 said:
IMO.

If you want to check the stock fluid, spray a little in a small glass and place it in your freezer.
Around here I could run straight water; hardly ever freezes and that's cheaper than anything on the market

·
Registered
294 Posts
I like the Rain-X orange winter formulation. You don't have to use your wipers as often. Also, when you do use your wipers, the muck is much easier to remove by the wipers. Just my opinion (but very informed opinion). ;)

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I don't put anything fancy in my Acadia (whatever is cheap and available) and we experienced several negative temperature days here in Chicago this winter. I haven't had any issues with washer fluid freezing up on me and it's always seemed to clean my windshield off just fine.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Web Raven said:
I don't put anything fancy in my Acadia (whatever is cheap and available) and we experienced several negative temperature days here in Chicago this winter. I haven't had any issues with washer fluid freezing up on me and it's always seemed to clean my windshield off just fine.
I think it's because of the body color; that you haven't had any issues :phone: ;D

·
Registered
540 Posts
jsimms said:
Copperhead13 said:
IMO.

Around here I could run straight water; hardly ever freezes and that's cheaper than anything on the market
You should still use some type of washer fluid over water to clean the road grime off the glass and wiper blades.

Bobby

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Yeah I know, my intent was to show that it hardly freezes here and I don't need a special fluid to combat the cold; I don't run straight water ;D

·
Registered
540 Posts
jsimms said:
Yeah I know, my intent was to show that it hardly freezes here and I don't need a special fluid to combat the cold; I don't run straight water ;D
:thumb:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I work with a guy that makes his own with distilled water and alcohol. :-\

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Copperhead13 said:
Sounds like he's making boot leg whiskey ;D

·
Registered
540 Posts
Copperhead13 said:
Some people at work use the washer fluid we had there. It had a high alcohol content. It ate up the older style mechanical washer pump and streaked their paint.I have heard others had their specialty windshields(like the Ford heated Gold tint) streaked by the Prestone fluid but this was years ago. I just go with the general blue fluid.

Bobby

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
DeForger said:
Copperhead13 said:
Some people at work use the washer fluid we had there. It had a high alcohol content. It ate up the older style mechanical washer pump and streaked their paint.I have heard others had their specialty windshields(like the Ford heated Gold tint) streaked by the Prestone fluid but this was years ago. I just go with the general blue fluid.

Bobby
So you're the guy buying the "blue fluid" by the case when WalMart has it on special :( j/k

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
jsimms said:
DeForger said:
Copperhead13 said:

Bobby
So you're the guy buying the "blue fluid" by the case when WalMart has it on special :( j/k
No, that would be me. :p Kidding. Who would buy windshield washer fluid by the case? One lasts me quite a long time. I'd say I only fill it like once a year... but ya know, now that I think of it, the dealership is probably topping that off when I bring it in for an oil change.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Web Raven said:
jsimms said:
DeForger said:
Copperhead13 said:

Bobby
No, that would be me. :p Kidding. Who would buy windshield washer fluid by the case? One lasts me quite a long time. I'd say I only fill it like once a year... but ya know, now that I think of it, the dealership is probably topping that off when I bring it in for an oil change.
Bingo - I usually don't need to fill it between oil changes - I let them do it for me. :)

... I did get a 'washer fluid low' alert yesterday - apparently I've been over-applying washer fluid this winter... lots of road salt ... And I have to say, the heated fluid option is way cool ;)

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Web Raven said:
jsimms said:
DeForger said:
Copperhead13 said:

Bobby

Oh......you don't buy it by the case?...............yeah.......uh......... I don't either; that's just silly :help:

·
Registered
540 Posts
jsimms said:
DeForger said:
Copperhead13 said:

Bobby
Ok how many are in a case? ;D I usually use 3 gallons between two cars for the year. I do buy it during the summer since the price jumps in the winter.

Bobby

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
4 1 gallon's in a case

·
Registered
66 Posts
We buy it by the case but it is used in more than 1 vehicle. We use it a lot when the roads are mucky which is every time it gets above zero (32F) in the winter. In the summer, the bugs are bad so we use a bunch then too.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts