GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I didn't think my Acadia purchase all the way through...

I have a Thule box and a Yakima (Rocketbox) on my Expedition. Both are too long for the Acadia due to the Antenna.

Question: Why isn't the antenna like the Yukon?! Their antenna is short, up front, and to the driver's side..

Anyway, I decided that in order to travel with my two little girls and two dogs, the luggage will have to go somewhere, external from the inside of the Acadia. Due to the Acadia roof rack inhibiting one from using it for an overhang setup (like my Expedition), I would prefer a box that would fill the top for dual side access. I wonder if anyone has removed the factory mounted roof rack in lieu of a Thule/Yakima setup...

I looked at both the Thule and Yakima options. Due to the Yakima's tension bars on the inside of the Skybox, (vs the Thule Ascent/Atlantis) I felt it was a sturdier model.

The SKybox 16s completely fills the roof rack area with just enough separate from the radio/XM antenna. Install is a snap, and it's dual side accessible (but they do caution against openning both sides at once). I would have preferred the rack extending more towards the front (~3-6 inches more), but it works as is.

On the way home, I did note an increased level of wind noise that I believe would be atributable to the car top carrier. It was a windy day today so cross winds may have influenced the noise level.

Due to parking garage clearance issues, I removed it once I got home. It will be an install upon need vs what I do with my Expedtion (I "store" the other two box carriers on the Expedition...).

·
Registered
659 Posts
I am not sure I understand your comment on the sturdiness of the various brands but the Thule Atlantic 16 cu ft box fits just fine as well. It clears the antenna with no problems and I have not noticed any additional wind noise at all with it up top. The Thule boxes and the OEM Acadia bars both have adjustment built in if one wanted it further forward but in my experience forward placement contributes to the wind noise so I chose to mount it as far back as it would go while clearing the antenna.

Attachments

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can go to any THULE / YAKIMA dealer and test yourself.

The Yakima has internal stabilizer bars on both ends which doesn't exist on the THULE.

I know the problem since I own previous Thule and Yakima carriers that lack the stabilizer bars. Openning and closing is more efficient and has less torqueing (bending) of the carrier frame. It makes openning/closing much more smooth.

With an option of buying either one, I chose YAKIMA Skybox over the THULE models.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Here's a side note in case someone does a search for Yakima or Thule. I just purchased a Yakima Skybox16s at REI (we have a local store in Pittsburgh). Pretty much everyone had it for the same price - $419. Or if someone had it cheaper, then the shipping (which is substantial) brought it back up. If you sign up for the REI email newsletter you get 15% off your first purchase. I can live with an occasional email for a $63 savings.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Jake_99,

Modem problems tonight - couldn't seem to download the pics. But, since I didn't see them, are you using the cross rails, or just the roof rack to mount to? Do you have the cross rails, and would you recommend buying them if I were only going to attach a kayak or eventually purchase some other "lighter-duty" roof storage device? I'm still not sure if buying them will be useful or not.

Thx,

Smooth <><[/color]

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes, I also have a similar question as Smooth. I own a Yakama 16s Skybox and love it. It fit on my Yukon perfectly and currently fits on my wife's Volvo XC90 with no problems as well. Well, I traded-in my Yukon two-days ago on lease and now leased the Acadia (which is awsome btw). My question is can I use my Yakama crossrails that I use on the Volvo or do I need to purchase the OEM Acadia rails for ~$200.00? It has only been two days and been too lazy to take them out of the basement to check in person; sorry!

Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Smooth said:
Jake_99,

Modem problems tonight - couldn't seem to download the pics. But, since I didn't see them, are you using the cross rails, or just the roof rack to mount to? Do you have the cross rails, and would you recommend buying them if I were only going to attach a kayak or eventually purchase some other "lighter-duty" roof storage device? I'm still not sure if buying them will be useful or not.

Thx,

Smooth <><[/color]
I recommend the cross rails.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I recall some of you posted the cost of the cross rails that you bought after the vehicle purchase. And my recollection is that they were somewhere in the $155 range, yes?? A dealer sent me this in an email today and I'm not sure they have it right. Quoting: " retail on 2008 rails is 251.37 and your cost is 189.00."[/color] By "your cost" they mean the dealership cost they will extend to me.

Sounds a bit high for these two cross rails that attach to the more permanent roof rack.

Comments?

Thx,

Smooth <><[/color]

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Your cost may be $189, but that's the list price.

From gmpartsdirect.com:

GM PART # 12499868
CATEGORY: Ski or Bike Rack
PACK QTY: 1
CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $189.00[/color]
OUR PRICE: $137.59

I had a friend get them for me at wholesale for somewhere around $150.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Jeff95TA said:
Your cost may be $189, but that's the list price.

From gmpartsdirect.com:

GM PART # 12499868
CATEGORY: Ski or Bike Rack
PACK QTY: 1
CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $189.00[/color]
OUR PRICE: $137.59

I had a friend get them for me at wholesale for somewhere around $150.
That is a great price and I am in the market for them. Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I just put that there as a reference for the list price. There is ~$30-$40(can't remember exactly) shipping/handling added to that price!

I just checked the price and it's up to $142.88, but look at the shipping!! ??? :D Looks like a little glitch in the system.

GM
Part # Category Description Pack Qty Unit Price Total Quantity Ordered Ext. Price YOU SAVE Core Charge S&H Approx TOTAL
12499868 Ski or Bike Rack RAIL KIT 1 $142.88 1 $142.88 $46.12 $0.00 $14,288.00 $14,430.88

·
Registered
533 Posts
I received this email from GMPartsDirect re: the rails:

"Part number 12499868 does include both the front and rear rail for the luggage carrier.
We would like to apologize as there has been a technical problem with our website that has caused the shipping/handling charges to be severely miscalculated. Please bare with us while we solve the problem soon enough and hope correct it soon enough."[/color]

So is your experience that shipping is roughly $40? That would make the total cost right around the $189 the one dealer is quoting me. Of course the local dealer wants me to pay something like $220 (not!).

Smooth <><[/color]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts