GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi ,
all it's been awhile since i have been on here and i am a enclave owner.
just wondering if the xm to sirius radio convertion unit came out yet and does it work?
the acadia crowd seems to be a little ahead of things here so, i was hoping to find an answer here.
Thank you

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've read that both XM and Sirius radios will continue to work after the merger, but for how long after has not been mentioned.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My understanding is that the merger has not yet been approved by the government, but "insiders" say that the higher-ups are leaning towards approval. For what it's worth, I think the merger will be a disaster for consumers and I can't believe they are even thinking about approving the deal. Anyone who has taken basic econ 101 know how unregulated monopolies treat their consumers, and this monopoly will be no different. The days of $77.00/year will definitely be a thing of the past. [getting off my soapbox now] :eek:hno:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Steve-o said:
My understanding is that the merger has not yet been approved by the government, but "insiders" say that the higher-ups are leaning towards approval. For what it's worth, I think the merger will be a disaster for consumers and I can't believe they are even thinking about approving the deal. Anyone who has taken basic econ 101 know how unregulated monopolies treat their consumers, and this monopoly will be no different. The days of $77.00/year will definitely be a thing of the past. [getting off my soapbox now] :eek:hno:
Not sure I agree. This is so different from other monopolies that the government has seen fit to to intervene against, such as Standard Oil and Bell Telephone. Their products/services were unique, meaning the consumer had no available alternatives. They had the potential for a much greater negative impact on the economy than something like this, as well as having national security concerns attached to them. All kinds of emergency services could have been priced out of reach had action not been taken. THAT would have been a disaster.

On the other hand, subscription radio used strictly for personal entertinment is not viewed in the same way. For example, there are a lot of people in this country who do not subscribe to either service because they simply don't believe in paying for radio, period. That's not very different from the idea that people don't go to the movies because they feel the $8 admission is too high a price compared to other means by which they can see a movie. So, with all due respect, I think to suggest that an XM/Sirius merger could wind up a "disaster" for consumers is a bit overstated.

Given the entertainment alternatives available to the general public, the merged company will still have to price their product in a way attractive enough to maintain interest among consumers. To not do so could wind up a disaster for them!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
The XM to Siruis would not be a conversion, but a combination of the two companies.

When the satelitte radio spectrum was established a REQUIREMENT was there be more than one offering, BUT all RADIO must be capable of receiving any of the companies that offered the service.

A merger would basically meet that requirement and provide a better service to the consumer.

The packages offered would be better. They are already filed. There would be a $6.00 per month 50 channel package. That would be the same as the renewal offer being offered now (they are not offering the $77 per year to be nice.....but to retain customers). 50 channels might seam like a take away, but with ala carte programming would be more than most customers listen to now. Yes some may have it as a take away.

You would also have the option of mainiting your current pricing $12.99 per month with the level of service you currently have or $16.99 per month for everything that both offer.

Lastly, unless the merger goes through and based upon the financials of these companies there is a very good chance that one of these companies would not survive......effectivly creating the monopoly that everyone is worried about anyway.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I could be wrong, but from what I understand, you are all off topic. I think joe-drum wanted info on a way to access sirius radio through his current xm system.

joe-drum said:
just wondering if the xm to sirius radio convertion unit came out yet and does it work?
My apologies to all if I am incorrect.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I apologize for being off topic--I thought the original poster was asking whether the proposed merger had been confirmed or not, not about a converter. And everyone is entitled to their opinion and I respect them all, even though I disagree with them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
joe-drum said:
Yeah I didn't know they wanted to know about a conversion unit either ;D (hehehehe)

·
Registered
50 Posts
joe-drum said:
Sorry for leading y'all away from original topic. Should have read that more closely. So...an XM-to-Sirius conversion, as in receive and control Sirius broadcasts through the factory radio?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I apologize also. Everyone is entitled to their own definition of disaster.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts