GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 08 with 10,000 miles on it. It seems that sound quality when listening to xm is rather poor. It sounds like its in a box or something. There is no static, it just sounds muffled. Anyone else notice this, or is it just me?
Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have an 08 as well, and I notice this too. FM sounds much better, it's a more clear sound. However, I am not subscribed to XM. I just have the sample channels... at least thats what I thought they were. I'm new to the Acadia too.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I have not noticed this. I have the Bose 10 speaker system and also have NAV.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My wife has an '08 with the BOSE, and it sounds great. There is a SEPARATE[/color] equalizer for each input too. Make sure the previous owner didn't have that set out of wack for XM. You will notice that on Cd, FM, Aux, and XM that they all can be tuned separately. This may not be you issue, but is an easy thing to check. 8)

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just bought a 09 last week and did set the EQ the same for all the sources. I have noticed that FM stations are louder than XM so I have to constantly adjust the volume when switching back and forth. I have also noticed that FM sounds better than XM too. My XM does seem a little muffled.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I think that the switch made it worse. My FM still is the best, XM good/ not great. After the merge I have noticed that several channels are just plain awful. I had Margaritaville on and I could hardly tell what song was on. I do have a speaker coming in, but I don't think one speaker would make anything that much better.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
I've noticed a significant reduction in XMs sound quality since the merger as well. I wonder if they are having to reduce the sound quality in order to cram all the Sirius crap into the same data stream now.

·
Registered
234 Posts
First make sure your EQ is set to Custom (not Talk) and then fiddle with the bass, mid, treble, balance, fade to apply your preference.

In terms of XM sound quality in general, I remember reading an article regarding XM transmissions. The article spoke about the software they employ has allot of compression in terms of bandwidth and such (ie. means it doesn't sounds as good as a CD). I definitely notice a difference between FM, XM, and CD myself but have just lived with it being you get so many musical choices (and there is nothing you can do about it anyways).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also noticed a drop in XM quality after the merger, but wasn't sure if I was imagining it. Some channels are definitely better than others, so I've removed the ones that seem inferior from my favorites. I doubt I'll renew again next year if they can't stream a consistent clean sound. We mostly listen to the iPod on trips anyway; to my ear, even MP3s sound better than the other inputs, especially at higher volumes. Ya gotta rock it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts