GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just heard that the FCC has approved the merger of XM and Sirius. Don't know what that will do the equipment that we have in our Acadias but I'm sure that with no competition, the rates will be higher even if they go to a la carte packages.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Yeah, I saw that too. It's just a big "?" right now. I'm wondering about the programming. I like XM's and really don't care for Sirius, but many others are the other way around. But you're probably right about the rates heading up like gas prices. :banghead:

·
Registered
428 Posts
I've had XM for quite a while now and the only reason I got it was for the NASCAR channel, then they moved that channel to Sirius. I would like to have that channel back but if they raise the rates then its bye-bye Satelite Radio. There is enough on FM that I dont need XM plus with my ipod I can listen to whatever I want anyway.

·
Registered
158 Posts
TMMAR said:
Just heard that the FCC has approved the merger of XM and Sirius.
Not quite... the Chair indicated that he would support it, but the full commission still has to vote.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm pretty confident the vote will go through to allow the merger. I think the only hold back was Kevin Martin (chair). There will be an improvement in service without price hikes for 3 years which is part of the deal. Next year units will be available to get both services simultaneously.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
It would seem that sharing costs would make it easier to keep rates under control. Obviously they can't stay the same forever, unless you had already bought the lifetime subscription like I did. ;D

I heard there were proposed concessions that they have to give 24 channels to noncommercial and minority programming (along with the 3-year freeze on rates). How can they force a company to have certain programming? It's almost like blackmail. And quite honestly there's a pretty good representation already (African-American, Hispanic, gay). XM and Sirius payed for their satellites and now the FCC wants to get their hands in it?

Eh, probably just easier to give in. Otherwise things may be "delayed" even longer.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Repost from Enclaveforum.net - http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=2614.msg43363#msg43363
-------------
Below is an excerpt from the Washington Post on the impact of the merger on subscriber's options.

'Q It costs $12.95 per month to subscribe to XM or Sirius. Will the price go up?

A The companies have said that they would freeze the $12.95-per-month rate for three years after the merger. In the letter to the FCC, XM and Sirius said they will create a number of programming options ranging from $6.99 to $16.99 per month.

· For $6.99 per month, subscribers can choose either 50 Sirius or 50 XM channels and add additional channels for 25 cents each per month.

· For $14.99 per month, subscribers get 100 channels: XM subscribers get mostly XM channels and can pick Sirius channels to round out to 100. A similar deal will be available for Sirius subscribers.

· For $16.99 per month, XM subscribers get all of their current XM channels and can add an undetermined number of Sirius channels. Vice-versa for Sirius subscribers.

· For $9.99 per month, subscribers can get a "mostly music" or "mostly news, sports and talk" package of channels.

· For $11.95 per month, subscribers can get a "family-friendly" package of existing channels from either XM or Sirius, which would block out such programming as Howard Stern and rap and rock channels with profanity-laced songs. For $14.99 per month, subscribers can get a "family friendly" package of channels from both services.

Yes, but you'll probably have to pay extra. In the letter to the FCC, the companies said that such "premium" programming will cost more. Stern is not identified in the letter, but he is Sirius's biggest draw.

Let's say I want more channels than are available in a family-friendly package but I don't want my children to hear Stern. What then?

Both companies have channel-blocking ability.

If I already have one of the services, will I have to buy a new radio?

If you want one of the a-la-carte packages, yes, you'll have to buy a new radio. The radios will be on the market within three months of the close of the merger, the FCC letter says.

So my existing satellite radio can hold all of these new channels? I won't lose a bunch of channels I like?

Both companies say that they continue to compress the bandwidth of their channels to squeeze more into their spectrum. Though both services will continue to drop and add channels, they do not anticipate wholesale dumping of channels post-merger.

Both services depend on a series of "terrestrial repeaters," or devices that boost the satellite signal in urban areas. But some of them cause interference and the FCC has ordered XM to shut down 50 of their repeaters and fix 50 more. Will this hurt my reception? Will the Sirius signal be dependent on XM repeaters?

Sirius service will not depend on XM repeaters; the two systems do not talk to each other.

But if that's the case, how can I add Sirius channels to my XM service and vice-versa?

Let's say you have XM and want to add Sirius's NFL package. XM will simply take Sirius's NFL game feeds and beam them to your radio on XM's spectrum. The XM and Sirius systems don't need to talk to each other for this function.

What will the merged company be called?

No new name has been proposed. Both XM and Sirius have built up substantial brand equity with their subscribers, who tend to think of themselves as "XM people" or "Sirius people."

Former XM chief executive Hugh Panero built a chair in XM's command center modeled after Captain Kirk's on the starship Enterprise. It's where he sat and pushed the button that switched on XM in September 2001. What will happen to the chair?

XM has no plans to change its facility

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Update - the new name has now been listed officially as "Sirius XM Radio, Inc."

·
Registered
101 Posts
So far...little of this thread answers a couple big questions I have.

We live in Alaska, so due to the satellite coverage, Sirius is the preferred provider.

#1 If I don't change anything, will I be able to get Sirius reception through my current XM radio?

#2 If I have to change the XM module in the back to a Sirius one, will the antenna that's tuned for XM work in our marginal area?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Forgive me if this is a dopey question, but I haven't seen it addressed anywhere. We have Dish Network, and 100s of Sirius audio channels we never listen to as part of this package (no point in listening to audio only through TV speakers). I'm not a fan of subscription radio with all that is available & the ability to burn audio files to Ipod, CD, etc. That being said, our new Acadia will have an XM radio. Is it possible to utilize the license granted by the Dish NW audio channels to listen to them on the vehicle radio? Doesn't seem like you should be paying twice for the same thing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would be suprised if Sirius, or for that matter XM, would allow anyone to do that. They would probably give you the line "it's a "free" part of your satellite subscription". I think no matter what Dish or DirecTV package you get it always includes the "free" music.

I personaly listen to my DirecTV based XM with my inside home theater speakers and the externally wired ones I have on my patio.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I didn't figure it would fly, especially after doing some more research & seeing they gig you for every additional radio. Not worth it for me at this point.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2: As long as you don't mind strapping a Dish Network Satellite dish to your roof and installing a converter box in your Acadia, then you can definitely get the Sirius music channels in your vehicle.

As for the merger, it has now gone through. The name of the new company is Sirius XM. The services on both networks will remain the same - if you had XM before, you will still get all of the same channels at the same price. The same thing goes for Sirius subscribers. As it stands right now, this merger is really only on paper. The stock of both companies is now one stock and is listed as SIRI on the NASDAQ exchange.

Beginning in the fall, Sirius XM will begin to offer content from both networks to subscribers at an additional cost. Due to stipulations imposed by the FCC, however, it does not look like the company will truly be able to offer one streamlined service for at least the next 3 years. Until that time, consumers will still have the choice of buying a XM radio or a Sirius radio and receiving the content of either provider respectively.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I guess the real question for me is how much for my XM music channels + Howard Stern + NFL Games...

·
Registered
195 Posts
canyonblue737 said:
I guess the real question for me is how much for my XM music channels + Howard Stern + NFL Games...
That is exactly what I wanted in a package. Should be very popular.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts