GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got in from running to several stores and had a problem with the XM reception. The stations kept cutting out and the display would say 'loading xm'. The stations also seemed to have a lot of static. First time that I have experienced this. It occured on any station that I tried.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Is this something that just started? (reception has been fine until now)

XM is a digital signal and has no static. You either get a signal or don't.

It sounds like something may be interfering with the signal or something is wrong (bad antenna-wires-radio)

I have heard that home units can be affected with the microwave turned on. Does not apply to a car unless you live under a MW tower.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes - this just started today. Didn't go out in vehicle yesterday. Weather here is clear and sunny with some light clouds and as far as I know, no microwave towers near by.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Come to think of it, I had some funny reception at work this morning. It was down to one bar and cutting in & out. Once you set a XM home antenna you are done, fotgetaboutit (unlike other brands), but I poked it a little :poke: as it's been on top of a cardboard box in the shop for 3 1/2 years.

It was strange. At home my outside antenna worked flawless during 3 Hurricanes in 04.

I'll check some XM boards to see if there was a Sat / solar problem today.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Racefla,
Thanks for the info. I thought that maybe something had gone bad with my radio or antenna. I feel much better now!

·
Registered
185 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Seeing the same symptoms here in Oregon. I guess XM is having issues today. Good to know I'm not the only one... :-\

·
Registered
48 Posts
I noticed it here in Georgia at lunch. Was so bad I switched to FM :eek:hno: then just turned that off. Hope they get it repaired soon.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I see a lot of you beat me to the post

It's been bad here in D.C. also. It was fine this morning, but when I jumped in the car at 2:30 to go home, it was bad.

Is the XM signal affected by sun spots? Just a thought. I have no clue.

·
Registered
140 Posts
dchillrat said:
Is the XM signal affected by sun spots? Just a thought. I have no clue.
I had static for the first time this afternoon. My father-in-law studies solar flares, and they do affect satellite transmission. I'll ask him if there was a storm today!

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
The volume was pulsing today for a while, sort of on and off, on all XM stations. I've never seen that before.

Kelly

·
Registered
492 Posts
From what I gathered, and the diagnostic 207 menu on my SF2, It seems like only Sat2 is transmiting.

I dont remember which coast each sats are on, but the radios are pulling from both sats (SE or SW) and using the best signal. With one down we are getting one shot coverage (footprint) instead of two.

In otherwords normaly if one sat view is blocked by structure (building, tree, overpass, Ect) the other sat coverage should still cover and fill in.

They have 2 spares up there also. (Rock & Roll)

Or something like that :drunk:

XM Online works :tunes:

·
Registered
497 Posts
I experienced the same thing between 6 and 7 pm driving home and running errands in the DC metro area. After a few blocks of it cutting in and out, and stopping and starting, I figured I'd find the answer here...and I did.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Tidbit:

Wedbush Excerpt:

Wedbush confirmed with XMSR that its XM-3 satellite suffered an in-orbit difficulty earlier today. Firm learned that in order to fix this issue, XMSR had to perform a software upgrade on the satellite, which required the satellite to be re-oriented to be corrected. That process also reportedly required the satellite to stop broadcasting. XMSR has yet to issue a press release or post some sort of update on its website to its subscribers. Based on firm's experience, it is not common for broadcast satellites to stop broadcasting in order to be "fixed". Keep in mind, it is not uncommon for satellites to report yearly availability rates of 99.999%. Thus, this type of service disruption is a natural concern. Obviously, once the satellite resumes broadcasting and XMSR's service is back on track, their concerns would be resolved.

From XM:
5/21 Service Degradation

You may be experiencing temporary degraded performance with your XM reception at the present time. XM is aware of the issue and working diligently to resolve it as soon as possible. We anticipate full signal strength will be restored by early Tuesday morning.

·
Registered
165 Posts
mayersj1 said:
Seeing the same symptoms here in Oregon. I guess XM is having issues today. Good to know I'm not the only one... :-\
I was also having problems today also. Only when passing under trees and overpasses.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Well, reading this makes me feel much better. I actually had to *gasp* listen to FM last night.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well they didnt get it fixed by 11:30am New York time. Still losing XM reception.
But I DID get the notice to subscribe when my 3 month trial runs out. This has gotta be record...........snail mail comes thru and satellite service finishes second.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts