GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone happen to know where the XM radio module is mounted in the Acadia?

I had the center console tipped apart yesterday in an attempt to add a bluetooth kit to my Acadia and noticed that the antenna for the XM radio goes up and to the right. While it seems to go in behind the drivers console (I hope to not), I am not sure. Some of the iPOD integration systems I am looking at required a direct attachment to the XM Radio module to work.

Anyone?

Dave...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
While I am not sure I am much help, I will answer my own question.

It dons on me that if there were an XM module that the antenna would go to the module and then from the module there would be a connection back to the radio. Since the antenna goes directly to the radio, should one assume that there is no module in the Acadia and that it's integrated into the main radio?

I think so but?

Dave...

P.S. this might screw us for iPOD integration. As the kits I've seen use a Y harness to inject the iPOD interface.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Haven't yet found it but the odds are pretty good that it's behind the glove compartment. That's the "typical" location and relatively easy to access. Don't know that for a fact though.

·
Registered
681 Posts
No expert on this subject but can't they just be built right into the radio itself, these are pretty large radios and an XM signal converter chip and connection to the antenna is all that is really needed. Picked up this info on a web site:

XM has partnered with Pioneer, Alpine, Clarion, Delphi Delco[/color], Sony and Motorola to manufacture XM car radios. Each satellite radio receiver uses a small, car-phone-sized antenna to receive the XM signal. General Motors has invested about $100 million in XM[/color].

Just my opinion on the subject, don't know for sure. :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
johnway said:
No expert on this subject but can't they just be built right into the radio itself, these are pretty large radios and an XM signal converter chip and connection to the antenna is all that is really needed. Picked up this info on a web site:

XM has partnered with Pioneer, Alpine, Clarion, Delphi Delco[/color], Sony and Motorola to manufacture XM car radios. Each satellite radio receiver uses a small, car-phone-sized antenna to receive the XM signal. General Motors has invested about $100 million in XM[/color].

I think the new radios are made by Denso. There is not too much info out about the new radio and it's new LAN bus vs. Class-2, but if it is integrated it would be much harder to substitute Sirius in like in the past with the SIR-GM1.

·
Registered
681 Posts
pete7919 said:
johnway said:

I think the new radios are made by Denso. There is not too much info out about the new radio and it's new LAN bus vs. Class-2, but if it is integrated it would be much harder to substitute Sirius in like in the past with the SIR-GM1.
Like I said, I am not an expert on this subject. LAN bus vs Class-2 ??? I guess I need to read up on the subject. If GM invested $100 million I would not think they would want to make Sirius and option in their radios. I am sure this investment was prior to the announced "potential" merger.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Now that my Acadia is ready I'm reviving this thread. Has anybody found an XM module? I find it hard to believe that it is integrated into the radio. That would mean that even the people that didn't pay the $199 (or have it included in the SLT package) would have XM in their car and would just have to turn it on somehow.

If no one has found it yet, I'm going to start searching ASAP. I have no use for XM and would gladly sell the module to someone who wants it once I find it!

·
Registered
183 Posts
berzins said:
Does anyone happen to know where the XM radio module is mounted in the Acadia?

I had the center console tipped apart yesterday in an attempt to add a bluetooth kit to my Acadia and noticed that the antenna for the XM radio goes up and to the right. While it seems to go in behind the drivers console (I hope to not), I am not sure. Some of the iPOD integration systems I am looking at required a direct attachment to the XM Radio module to work.

What bluetooth unit are you installing?

·
Registered
56 Posts
pete7919 said:
Now that my Acadia is ready I'm reviving this thread. Has anybody found an XM module? I find it hard to believe that it is integrated into the radio. That would mean that even the people that didn't pay the $199 (or have it included in the SLT package) would have XM in their car and would just have to turn it on somehow.

If no one has found it yet, I'm going to start searching ASAP. I have no use for XM and would gladly sell the module to someone who wants it once I find it!
Let me know when you find it... I may take you up on that offer to sell it...

·
Registered
4 Posts
The module is in the left rear Quarter panel near the Jack. Open and remove the cover to the jack area and its to the left and rear of the jack. It's actually behind what appears to be the GPS or some other unit. I tried to install the SIR GM1 with the DVD nav radio and it is not compatible. If anyone gets any info on how to make it work or on a newly released Sirius Connect module, please let us know.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am installing the Parrot 3200 LS Color with a wiring harness for the Acadia. I got everything through Howard at parrotkits.com. Absolutely great service and support. I have been waiting for a mounting bracket to arrive to finish the install.

Dave...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey MrCat.

I had a look in the rear of my Acadia at the location you mention for XM. Indeed it does look like something that may be it. I still question why there would be a antenna lead into both the unit in the rear as well as the radio unit itself. Of course the one going into the radio might not be an xm antenna but something else completely. Although it sure looks like one. Man I wish I had a service manual on this thing!

Dave...

·
Registered
185 Posts
MrCat said:
The module is in the left rear Quarter panel near the Jack. Open and remove the cover to the jack area and its to the left and rear of the jack. It's actually behind what appears to be the GPS or some other unit. I tried to install the SIR GM1 with the DVD nav radio and it is not compatible. If anyone gets any info on how to make it work or on a newly released Sirius Connect module, please let us know.
I opened the rear up today to take a look. That's going to be tough to get at. I think the module in the front is Onstar and the back is XM, but it looks like their are four modules back their. I will post some pics soon.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Pics attached of area in question. The first two are of the suspected (by me) Onstar with XM behind. The second two pics are a little bit forward of the jack compartment showing a metal box that needs some cooling by the looks of it. Anybody know what it is?

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
OK, I dug into this a little. It seems that even if I could remove the radio when it is installed in another vehicle it will read that it is locked. At that point only a dealer would be able to reprogram.

No word yet on the XM to Sirius unit for GM LAN equipped vehicles - GML-SC1.

I found a great way to run a plug and play receiver into the radio. I have my Sirius tuner right in front of the armrest. I used a 1/16" stereo to RCA and ran it into the rear input. That way no wires are running up the dash. This assumes that you have the rear AUX input, of course. I plug the unit into the rear power port too. Looks pretty clean, except from behind there are 3 wires. Next thing to do is run the antenna a little nicer. I really wish they didn't lock you into either Sirius or XM. I guess that may become a moot point, though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pete:

I have the BOSE non-nav radio with DVD player. Is that the same one you had with the RCA input in the rear? I also want to neaten up my sirius radio and run a direct connection without the front input wires hanging out?
You mention a rear power input? Do you mean i direct connection to the fuse panel?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Wowzers...the 18" adapter into the radio doesn't look that bad! I have Sirius also and ran my wires this weekend. Doesn't seem the hastle to rip the thing apart, but to each his own.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Cravenfan said:
Wowzers...the 18" adapter into the radio doesn't look that bad! I have Sirius also and ran my wires this weekend. Doesn't seem the hastle to rip the thing apart, but to each his own.
What do you mean, how did you install sirius?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Just ran the antennea (spelling?) wire from the roof, down the back of the hatch, side of the rear cargo area, under the seats middle (captain's chairs) up the back of the middle center console between the driver/passenger, up to the unit which I have a drink holder adapeter and then used the plug into the radio. I opted out of the XM radio for that very reason...I use the power adapter in the console to plug into...I'll take a picture, if you wish...I have the Stiletto for Sirius...It rocks. (Needed for Nascar coverage.)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts