GMC Acadia Forum banner

Would U buy a diesel Acadia? 250 HP/400 lbs torque est...2.9 liter clean diesel from Europe? (Shou

• I would never consider a diesel engine in a vehicle like this

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM launched a 2.9 liter clean diesel engine in Europe a few months ago...this engine is a performance engine similar to the spirit of the 3.6 liter engines we enjoy today in our Lambda's.

The 2.9 liter is used in Cadillac's in europe were upwards of 75% of engines sold to the performance/luxury market are diesels...ie...BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc etc.

This is a performance diesel meaning it's high torque and relatively high HP for diesels in this class make this an outstanding choice for perfomance oriented buyers.

Here's some info I found on the internet from a GM press release...this engine might be a great choice?!

“We expect the V-6 diesel to be highly competitive in the European luxury segment,” said Jim Taylor, Cadillac General Manager. “With its excellent low-end torque and its high power output, it is a great fit with Cadillac’s performance-oriented brand character.”

The compact dual overhead cam, four-valve V-6 engine belongs to a new GM family of diesel engines, featuring an innovative closed-loop combustion control system designed to meet future emissions standards. The engine can be installed in a longitudinal or transverse layout and can be adapted to a wide range of two- or four-wheel drive vehicles.

GM’s development of the new engine is being coordinated under the leadership of GM Powertrain’s European operations in Turin, Italy, in cooperation with VM Motori based in Cento, Italy. GM Powertrain will focus on the development of the clean combustion process, electronic engine control and exhaust-gas after treatment, as well as calibration and integration into GM vehicles. VM Motori will build the new unit at its plant in Cento, Italy, and is responsible for the mechanical aspects of the engine’s design, development and bench testing.

“The V-6 diesel integrates leading technologies and will deliver outstanding performance, fuel economy and low emissions,” said Roger Johansson, GM Powertain Europe vice president.

The V-6 engine management system enables optimal fuel economy as well as reduced emissions and noise by using a recently developed combustion control technology. Key enablers for the system are high speed piezo-resistive cylinder pressure sensors that are integrated within the engine glow-plugs. These specialized sensors acquire real-time data from the combustion process, enabling instantaneous fine-tuning of the fuel injection process. In the future, this clean combustion control technology will be introduced in other GM Powertrain diesel engines.

The high-pressure, common-rail system provides up to 2000 bar (29,000 psi) injection pressure. The injectors are quick-firing piezo-electrically actuated, allowing up to eight injections per engine cycle. The after-treatment system includes an oxidation catalyst and a particulate filter that are close coupled to the engine to achieve future emissions standards.

An electronically controlled variable geometry turbocharger generates boost pressure. The engine has a torque of 550 Nm (406 lb.-ft.) beginning at 2000 rpm, while providing effective fuel economy and reduced emissions.

The new, compact V-6 powerhouse features aluminum cylinder heads and a 60 degree bank angle, 83.0 mm bore and 90.4 mm stroke, which results in displacement of
2935 cubic centimeters. The engine block is made of stronger and lighter Compacted Graphite Iron (as compared to lower strength aluminum or heavier grey cast iron) to optimize engine packaging, weight, refinement and performance.

Source: Source: General Motors
[/color][/color]

·
Registered
262 Posts
Performance aside, down here in Houston Diesel is $4.50/gallon and has been more expensive than gas for more than a year. That alone would probably be a deterent for me. That said, I'm sure this Diesel Acadia would get better fuel economy (as most Diesels generally do) so perhaps it would come out in the wash...

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Re: Would you purchase a Diesel Acadia to really boost your MPG and driving rang

JonTon said:
Performance aside, down here in Houston Diesel is $4.50/gallon and has been more expensive than gas for more than a year. That alone would probably be a deterent for me. That said, I'm sure this Diesel Acadia would get better fuel economy (as most Diesels generally do) so perhaps it would come out in the wash...
I was thinking that same exact thing. When and why did diesel get so much more expensive?

Personally, when I drive behind a diesel vehicle and get their exhaust fumes sucked up in through my vehicle's air vents, it makes me feel ill. I'm sure newer diesel's are better, but from bad experience like that, I'd steer clear of one. Typically they are noiser too aren't they?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Re: Would you purchase a Diesel Acadia to really boost your MPG and driving rang

I'd buy one in a heart beat. Although diesel is much more expensive now I don't think it will always be that way. If the US car makers would start selling more diesels here that could reduce the need for foreign oil.

·
Registered
262 Posts

marc said:
I'd buy one in a heart beat. Although diesel is much more expensive now I don't think it will always be that way. If the US car makers would start selling more diesels here that could reduce the need for foreign oil.
How would that reduce foreign oil? Isn't regular Diesel generated from oil...? Unless of course, you are speaking of willie nelson, bio-diesel...

·
Registered
113 Posts

Diesel always was as cheap as regular and sometimes cheaper. I believe we're going through a bubble in prices spurred on by speculators. Yes, I'm aware of supply and demand but I think that's not the total cause for crazy prices. BTW, fuel is about $10 a gallon in Europe. I believe that diesel requires less refining and should be cheaper. In the past the only thing that influenced diesel prices was when heating oil became in demand before winter.

·
Registered
275 Posts

The lastest generation of diesels are not what the American public is used to when they think "diesel". they're clean burning, quiet, efficient machines. The diesel is king in Europe for one simple reason; superior economy. Sure, people with a Prius can brag all they want; the fact is that just about every model in Europe has a diesel option, while some model lines have no gasoline option, and their economy is staggering compared to what we're used to. How about 44MPG in a Audi A8? 60+ in a Civic?

The only thing keeping diesels from taking off in North America is the conception most Americans have about them. Go to your closest Jeep dealership and fire up the Cherokee 3.0L diesel. You'll be surprised.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Did anyone notice 406 ft lbs? Compare that with 251 ft lbs in the 3.6 V6 gas. Anyone think the Acadia is underpowered? I do. The Acadia can easily use another 50 to 75 ft lbs increase in torque to give it the increased responsiveness we feel is lacking. I notice that most would like to see a V8 option in the Acadia. V8 = More torque ... more instantaneous response to the gas pedal. Its the torque that we feel in the seat of our pants.

So it would be nice to get the "oil burner" in the Acadia because we would get a 30% increase in fuel economy and a more responsive machine. The old concept of noisy, smelly Diesel machines that blow black smoke belongs in the 70's.
The new oil burning motors are way quieter, cleaner and more efficient ... don't think 18 wheeler diesel, think modern Mercedes Blue tech.

Besides it takes less refineing to get diesel out of a barrel of Crude, you also get more fuel out of a barrel of Crude, if it is setup to yield diesel rather than gas. We get an overal effect of reducing the number of barrels required thus reducing consumption nationally + 30% reduction in fuel consumed due to 30% better MPG.

If we all drove hybrids or diesel Acadias now we would really show OPEC.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I would but an Acadia diesel, could see 21/32 mpg.
Imagine 700+ miles on one tank!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I would purshase a diesel Acadia, however, the cost differency may be a factor. In my area, diesel is about a $1 more per gallon. Any difference would have to be made up somewhere, i.e. performance, economy, etc.

I own a diesel Excursion. I get 2-3+ MPG better than a gasoline equipped version. When there was a quarter or so more for fuel, this made good fiscal sense. Remember, a diesel engine for my Ex was a few thousand dollars more. Now with the ULSD and the extra reformulation adding to the price, I am not sure I would have done it again. I may have kept my gas Suburban.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would not, I used to own a diesel pickup, mileage was better but not great, but the main reason I will never own another diesel is the smell, its in your garage, your house, they dont warm up in the winter, when you fill up its all over your hands, because you have to use the big nozzle. Im just not a diesel fan.

·
Registered
50 Posts

My next car will be a diesel! My brother makes his own biodiesel for about $2.00 a gallon. While it's no problem running B100 year-round down here in the south, he blends it 50/50 (B50). Even with the higher cost of regular diesel, his fuel is still cheaper than gasoline.

·
Registered
812 Posts
unless diesel cost 50% less than gas and gives me 30mpg..... JUST give me a freakin V8 and not that smelly,noisy engine....... what do you call them again? ;D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Don't forget that diesel engines last forever too...

If it's clean and gets better fuel economy than the gasser, I'm all over it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would go one step beyond that and want a diesel electric hybrid. Diesel gets awesome mileage but you are still burning stuff when stuck in traffic. Combine the mileage of a diesel engine and the ability to burn zero fuel in stop and go traffic, imagine the range you could get from a tank full...

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
mikehw17 said:
I would go one step beyond that and want a diesel electric hybrid.
My God, I can't even imagine what they would want to charge us for a diesel hybrid engine big enough to power a Lambda ;)

I followed right behind a new diesel Mercedes SUV this weekend for about 10 miles and smelled nothing. Assuming these new clean diesel engines really do sound, act and smell like a gas engine, it would be very compelling. Much better fuel economy would probably equal out with the extra fuel costs these days, but like was pointed out earlier, we'd be burning 1/3rd less fuel overall for the same mileage we're putting on our cars today. Assuming they didn't cost much more and the fuel economy did offset the higher prices, you'd basically be getting free torque.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I guess we can get a glimpse of the cost when, or rather if, Audi or Mercedes introduces a diesel-electric drive train in a couple of years. I read somewhere, Edmunds I think, that one of the German marques is contemplating that option if diesel use takes off in the states. I am pretty sure it's not BMW, that's the only reason I didn't list them.

Mike

·
Registered
50 Posts

Want to see a diesel/electric hybrid in action? Look no further than the nearest train track!! ;D

·
Registered
50 Posts

OK, so it's not a hybrid..... :-[

·
Registered
662 Posts
It would have to make $ sense. Diesel is now $4.99 here in CT.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts