GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone- ;D
First time poster...although lurking for awhile since I have been obsessed with the Acadia, I just love saying it. I have been drooling and dreaming about one day making one for my very own...I have been more seriously looking now but I am wondering if I should bite the bullet and hope to get a good deal on an 08 or wait for the 09. Really, all I want different in the 09 is the Bluetooth.
So, I was wondering if the 08 could be adapted by my mechanical husband. I don't use the cell phone in the car that much but the bluetooth is a nice option to have and I am in CA, so we have the Hands Free Law now.
I know there have been a few threads re: the bluetooth, but I am just wondering if it's really worth the wait or extra price for the Bluetooth only for the 09.
This is a great forum...love reading all your stories. VERY helpful with all sorts of topics.

TIA. 8)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Just one opinion but for what its worth, I'm not sure that GM's bluetooth in the Acadia is worth waiting for. There are several aftermarket, visor mount, type devices that work better for me in terms of voice quality than the built in on-star phone equipment. I have blue tooth boxes from both Blue Ant and Parrot and I prefer either one to the quality of the built in on-star phone equipment. When and if GM chooses to offer something in the Acadia, I don't know if I would expect it to use microphone and speaker hardware that are any better than what is there now.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
We are in somewhat the same position, except with an Outlook (love the Acadia's HUD, but can't justify $3K for this feature) and retrofitting some other stuff. I'm not that familiar with bluetooth. From what I've seen, the bluetooth could be readily adapted- look at this website for the GMX-322:
http://www.coastaletech.com/AMAZING_GM_LOCKPICKS.htm

"ONSTAR UNLOCKED FOR BLUETOOTH HANDFREE KIT"

In my opinion, the 2008 is the better deal for us:
1) Incentives are now $1750 through 7-31-08
2) The 2009 won't have these incentives
3) 2009 GM price increase
4) ? Build time
5) ? When you can order 2009

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GerryL...Thanks, just what I was thinking, but had to hear it again. It seems like many 08 owners are wishing they had the bluetooth but I didn't understand and thought there must be something I was missing. Turns out it's just the hype of it all.
OL_Shopper...Thanks, I also feel that the 08 will be better for me. I have been speaking with my local dealer and she said I could order an 09 although she is not sure on pricing. Her last email said:
"My guess is about an $800 increase in price and no incentives. Right now I have up to $1,750 in rebates - so your price difference would be up to $2,550.
Let me know if you decide on an 08. I have about 40 of them in stock right now."
From the sound of it I would be paying up to $2550 for Bluetooth... ???
Is the $1750 in rebates the same as what you were talking about? What are the specifics for you?
Can you believe40 in stock :eek: I think I could get a deal somewhere huh?
Thanks again...you guys are helpful

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
40 in stock!!! CA is too far to go for us to buy, though.

Most of the dealers I checked in the SE USA had at most 20-25.

I spoke to an Internet Manager in Georgia today and he gave no hassle for the GM Supplier price or the $1,750 in incentives. The incentives are $1,250 (part of this is Conquest cash) plus another $500 due to our trading a 1999+ non-GM vehicle. He explained it was no longer called the trade in trade up as it had been advertised, so other vehicles were eligible as well.

I know what you mean about the $2550 for the Bluetooth. I'd love to have a HUD, but it adds up to about a $3K increase to step up to the Acadia 1LT & it is not worth it to me. At least the Bluetooth is an easy retrofit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I suppose I will let-go of the Bluetooth option, besides my husband would probably have fun trying to add it later (it's kinda his thing)
I guess the $500 "trade" works for any 99+ model, but you don't have to actually trade? Sounds good to me. The husband :binky: won't let go of our '99 Land Rover...although I am the one who drives it. So I suppose we will still keep it.
Now I have to sort out the other options I need (I mean want :)
Thanks for your help... :cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I copied this from another post of mine. I think the HUD equipped SLT1 can be HAD for not too much more than the SLE/XE. HID is probably another story, though, I'd have to use my HED more to figure that one out. :D.

I have found 8 possibles, ranging from a $29,139.59 white Outlook XE to the above $34,122.63 (estimated- no supplier price on it) AWD SLT1 in Montana- hey, it is blue with a black interior! In between are a couple of white 8 passenger SLT1 models with the HUD, one of which is here in FL @ $34,009.29. It also has the luxury (sunroof & 19" wheels) package @ $2,295 less a $1000 discount. I guess you buy the sunroof & get the wheels for free. The other is in MO @ $31,474.09 and does not have any other options.

Thanks! I suppose I will let-go of the Bluetooth option, besides my husband would probably have fun trying to add it later (it's kinda his thing)
As long as he doesn't pull a Tim The Toolman dishwasher "upgrade" on it, it should be OK. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I still get confused with the HUD, HID, DIC, -well the last one...hee hee ;D
I don't think the HUD is that important for me. I'm sure I would like it but is not necessary if it came down to a big price difference between the models. Although it sounds like your research and what I have come across; there are a lot of SLT's with HUD and those prices vary sooo much depending on what else is optioned. Does that make sense? So really if I get the HUD it's going to be because the other options were exactally what I wanted.
I really want to have the Audio/Nav. I have an added GPS in my car and I like it but it bugs me that it's not as "clean" looking. I really like the look in the Acadia...and I think I will have the car for awhile so it's worth the extra for me.
Do you (or anyone else) know if it the Audio/Nav is only available with SLT2? It seems that is all I can find but I thought I would throw that question out there.

As long as he doesn't pull a Tim The Toolman dishwasher "upgrade" on it, it should be OK. :)
[/quote]
Argg Argg -No guarantee on that one :-\

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I don't have a 2008 Acadia brochure, so I checked the build your own site. Navigation is available on the Acadia SLT2, and the Outlook XR. it is like a $2300 package.

From reading threads here & elsewhere, you can retrofit a nav radio into any of the models, but apparently this is easiest to accomplish if the base (SLE/XE) has the advanced audio setup. This is why I'm making sure whatever I get has rear seat and steering wheel audio.

As far as the HUD, the two Acadia SLT1 units I am looking at are about $3K apart in price. One has a lot of extra stuff like the luxury (sunroof/wheels) package, the other is just the HUD and the 8 passenger credit ($495). Since the SLT has the preferred package audio upgrade, it would be easy to retrofit the nav unit there.

I also priced Outlooks XE vs XR so far as retrofitting the nav/cam. I lucked into finding a rare XR with the cloth interior that was otherwise equipped as I like (8 passenger, nav, DVD, trailer) except for convenience group (remote start, +$250). I compared this to an XE with the basic stuff I need (audio, preferred, convenience, and trailer groups) and the estimated cost to install a nav/camera and it is about $1,300 for the parts (I do my own labor). When I subtracted the price of the equipped XR from the XE with the retrofitted nav/cam, the XR was still $1,560 more. As with most comparisons, this is not apples to apples, as the XR has a DVD system and the XE did not, this would be another $1,300 for this option. Since this boils down to around a $300 savings, I would rather buy the XR and save the install hassle.

Incidentally, I Googled Saturn Outlook dash trim and found a place that sells different color/material trim pieces to cover the wood on the XR. This was my main issue with the XR.

In summary, as you have observed, it is best to find what you want/need and nothing else. Therein lies the challenge ;).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good Luck to all those that are trying to find our "wants/needs and nothing else" without ordering. ;)
So, question (maybe naive by myself) but can I get the touchscreen with Audio and no Nav? Then retrofit later?
I really like the touch screen and that its why I thought I had to get Nav. But do these other options come with the screen and which one would be the most basic w/ screen to retrofit later with Nav/Cam?
From the brochure these are the following Radio/Audio options:
*AM/FM Stereo with MP3-compatible CD/DVD player
*AM/FM Stereo with MP3-compatible CD player and DVD-based navigation1 —
(Not available with DVD Entertainment system. Includes rearview camera system)
*AM/FM Stereo with MP3-compatible CD/DVD player and DVD-based navigation1 —
(Requires DVD Entertainment system. Includes rearview camera system)
*Rear-seat audio controls with headphone jacks (Only available on SLE when ordering DVD)
Thanks- I wasn't considering these options before because I was going to make it more basic just to get my Acadia. But now that I want Tri-Zone, Liftgate, ...I might as well look into the options of the higher models and figure out what I want/don't need from those options...
Gosh, you have to take a course to weed through all this... :sleepy:

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
The touchscreen is integral to the nav radio, so if you have one, you have the other. It can operate w/o the rear camera if you don't want to add one (adding the camera is a little more involved than the nav unit upgrade).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, that is what I thought but I feel so dizzy combing through the options that I often wonder if I am reading the right thing :crazy:

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
...I feel so dizzy combing through the options that I often wonder if I am reading the right thing
Try searching the inventory of every GMC/Saturn dealer in FL/GA/AL/SC/NC/TN/VA/MD/PA/NY/NJ/OH/KY/MS/LA/TX/AR/MO/KS and a few more... glad I have unlimited broadband access :).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, that's :crazy:
I like to print out the ones that "match" my wants and compare using highlighters and sticky notes. I feel as though I am looking at all options so I won't have the "what if they had it for....".
I think you have me beat though-I am only looking between 4 dealers in Nor. CA.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
OL_Shopper said:
I compared this to an XE with the basic stuff I need (audio, preferred, convenience, and trailer groups) and the estimated cost to install a nav/camera and it is about $1,300 for the parts (I do my own labor).
Where are you finding the nav/camera for $1300? Hint: I hope you're not thinking gmpartsdirect.com - wait until you see their "shipping and handling" charges. If you've just checked prices on that site without checking the handling charges, you're in for a big surprise.

Of course, you can occasionally find nav units on ebay (but you have to make sure you get the right part no. with the right backlighting - red for Acadia, amber for Outlook, or blue for Enclave). Often those units are sold without the GPS antenna and nav disc though.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I've dealt with GM Parts Direct & am well aware of their "make up the discount" on shipping as well as the lengthy time frame to get what you ordered. Getting parts at a discount is usually not an issue if you browse/belong to the GM car forums.

I think it was one of your threads where the fellow mentioned Schram. They seem to be a good source of late model/new take off parts at a fairly decent price. I know I almost bought a GTO 6 speed from them until I found a Camaro unit closer & for less money.

There is also the Replacement Radio.com website (something like that). They advertise new radios for $800, then you have to add the antenna, disk, and camera/module.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
The only thing I found with Schram is they only had the Enclave radios (blue backlighting) when I shopped them. I also shopped Replacement Radios but I think they were more expensive when I looked. I ended up getting mine from JP Customs for $1850 (DVD version), but should have probably gone with the CD-only version for $1600 since I don't really use the DVD feature. By the time I added a camera, I was over $2k - no real savings over getting it from the factory.

Just be very careful that wherever you end up buying, you get the right part numbers so you're not disappointed.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Thanks for the tip & the thread. I've been known to research stuff before I buy it. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts