GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the wood trim in my mom's Lexus, and the only thing that I DON'T love about our 3 day old :blob: Acadia is that wood trim was not an option!! I would love to get some aftermarket trim done, but am VERY nervous about the quality of the product, and it's ability to stay on over time. I don't want to screw this up!

Any thoughts on this??? We would NEVER do it ourselves, but are just wondering if after market stuff looks lame and doesn't last like the real stuff.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I think the designers of the Acadia were looking for a little more high tech and modern look for the Acadia. Wood has been used regularly in cars for a long time now and I think some might be tiring of it. If you like the look of wood there are after market companies that sell kits that you can have installed. My opinion is a little wood might be classy if properly done, and too much would make the car look overdone.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you wanted wood, why didn't you get an Enclave, or an Outlook XR?

Especially with the Outlook, the car is virtually identical EXCEPT for the wood.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
If not factory installed, I would be hesitant with aftermarket, even if local trim shop were to do. Have to wipe everything down with alcohol and hope the 3M adhesive will hold up for a period of time, especially if your in a climate of 4 seasons. IMO

·
Registered
681 Posts
I would have to say "cheesy looking", I have never been a fan of the aftermarket vinyl wood veneer kits. This is of course my opinion. I do not mind original wood finishes in some cars but I do not think it would look good in the Acadia.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your thoughts. I, too, agree that a little wood is great and a lot is just.....too much! The reason we didn't go for the Enclave is because I don't feel old enough to own a Buick ( ;D ) and we didn't like the exterior styling. As for the Outlook, again, we couldn't get past the fact that it was a Saturn. Sorry, we are a bit snobby. To be honest, I can't even believe we went for the GMC, as we were exclusivley looking at the Volvo xc90 and the Lexus Hybrid. But it totally won us over because it is bigger and we just loved it. There is a very small window between the smallish xc90/lexus 350/bmx X3 or X5 (all too small for me) and the WAY too big Escalade/Tahoe/Yukon/Expedition. In this window (Highlander, Pilot, Acadia) we liked the Acadia the most, by far.

Thanks for the input! Guess I have been looking at the Lexus/Volvo/BMW books too long!

·
Registered
84 Posts
arwmommy said:
As for the Outlook, again, we couldn't get past the fact that it was a Saturn. Sorry, we are a bit snobby.
Well, you'll just have to "get past" the fact that the Acadia doesn't have any wood accents...The Outlook does.

·
Registered
956 Posts
stiffi said:
arwmommy said:
As for the Outlook, again, we couldn't get past the fact that it was a Saturn. Sorry, we are a bit snobby.
Well, you'll just have to "get past" the fact that the Acadia doesn't have any wood accents...The Outlook does.
Well if she wants some wood trim in her Acadia I'm sure it can be done and she won't have to "get past" the fact it doesn't have wood trim. If it is done with good taste it will look nice.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I understand in the not to distant past some people did not like a certain type of vehicle because of its bad historical reputation on poor quality.....but what I don't understand here is all the Lamdas are made at the same plant on the same assembly line and are likely to have similar quality. So what is it that is "hard to get past" for member arwmommy? The name? Up until now I thought people were making the choice on visual preference, proximity of dealerships, employee discounts, ability to haggle, etc...but on the name? now thats a new one for me.
Key1

·
Registered
51 Posts
arwmommy said:
I was refering to the point "armommy" made about not buying the saturn eventhough it has wood trim.....because of the name "Saturn".
Key1

·
Registered
956 Posts
key1cc said:
arwmommy said:
I was refering to the point "armommy" made about not buying the saturn eventhough it has wood trim.....because of the name "Saturn".
Key1
I guess she thinks Saturn's are cheap and in the past many of them were, but I think GM is trying to improve the image with their latest products.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hey, guess what? It's your vehicle and if you like wood then go for it! :thumb: Yeah, some may think it's cheesy looking (I admit, I think it is...sorry) But it's yours...hang pink fuzzy dice from the rear view mirror...do whatever you want to make it yours. ;D Enjoy!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BigBearCraig,
That is exactly what I was meaning. I am glad that GM seems to be really "bringing their game to the table" lately. They have certainly changed my mind about their cars.........hence the 4 day old Acadia in the driveway!

Key1cc
I am sure that there are manufacturers of cars that you would not consider just based on the manufacturer alone! You may think that they generally make "cheap" or "inferior" cars, or that they are a "rip off" because they are so expensive. We all have biases that shape our choices. That is what I was referring to.

Thanks again........I think we are too scared we will screw it up to do any aftermarket stuff (even though we would ONLY do it with a shop and never ourselves!). Thanks for your thoughts on this!

·
Registered
84 Posts
arwmommy said:
BigBearCraig,

Key1cc
I am sure that there are manufacturers of cars that you would not consider just based on the manufacturer alone! You may think that they generally make "cheap" or "inferior" cars, or that they are a "rip off" because they are so expensive. We all have biases that shape our choices. That is what I was referring to.
Sure you may not like certain manufacturers. My point was that weather its the Outlook, the Acadia, or the Enclave, they are all THE SAME manufacturer. In fact, the 3 cars are made on the same production lines! That bias, just isn't justified in this case.

·
Registered
26 Posts
arwmommy said:
Funny you should say this... I have never had a thing against Saturn. Back in the early days of Saturn I really wanted one of the sedans with the plastic panels ;) but we couldn't afford it at the time. :) In later days they were so slow to add mini-vans or SUVs to their lineup that we just didn't pay any attention to them and went with Toyota to fill that need. Then unfortunately we ended up with our first American car, a Dodge Grand Caravan, and I hated it for the 3.5 years I owned it. I swore I would not buy American again. Then I saw the Outlook. I read the reviews, saw the safety rating and test drove it several times. I then went and test drove a Honda Pilot, a Toyota Highlander, a VW SUV, and other foreign SUVs that might suit my needs. I always came back to the Outlook. I had fallen in love... head over heels in love. I've NEVER done this with any car I've owned. I've owned it now for about 6 weeks... actually 6 weeks today... and I am so proud when I drive my Saturn. I feel like I'm in an exclusive club. It's odd... I am a bit "name" snobby too, but I'm also fairly frugal. So I want a lot for my money. I won't spend it just to get a name unless that name offers me more. I feel like I hit the jackpot on my Outlook. I drive it with pride and I can't tell you how many times people come up to me to ask me about my car. I have a feeling that Saturn's name in the industry is going to become sought after in the next few years if they keep up the re-invention that they've started. So you might just take another look...

Just my .02

1 - 19 of 19 Posts