GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to document this for others that might have a similar problem.
After the dealer performed some transmission work (a topic for another post) the car would not start. The battery was fully charged, but when you turned the key all the lights would go out (as I believe they normally do when starting the car), and nothing would happen… no cranking, no clicking…nothing. The car would star on the second attempt 90% of the time. I also notice it would restart without a problem… unless you cycle the gearshift out of park and then return it park and shut off the key. The next ignition cycle wont again not work (i.e. nothing would happen).
The problem was traced to a bad connection (pin slightly retracted, thus an open circuit) on the 20-pin connector that runs between the transmission and the ECU (Engine Computer). According to the mechanic, the transmission computer was reading that the transmission was in park, but due to the bad connection (open circuit) the ECU was showing that the transmission was not in park. So the ignition was disabled by the ECU. When the connector was fixed the problem went away.
This is likely to happen only after performing transmission work, but I figure I would pass it on in case it proves useful for anyone down the line.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Wow-- that was a good find by the mechanic. Problems caused by things like that are real hair-pullers! I was reading in an older (1995) GM service manual the other day about repairing wiring and connectors, and that was one of the things they talked about. Glad it is back to normal now.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts