GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does the Wireless internet connectivity work in the 2009 Acadia's? Is it somehow sent through the On-star system?

Currently own a 2007 graphite metallic SLT2 FWD and we are trading in for a 2009 SLT-1 AWD
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,374 Posts
Welcome to the forum. What is your source for info for the wireless connection? I'm not aware of any 802.x compatible gear in the Acadia. It reports monthly via OnStar to your email, but that is the extent of the connectivity in my experience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
Chrysler has made this service (http://www.autonetmobile.com/) available in many of their cars. I also have not heard of it being offer by any other auto manufacturers. It uses the wireless 3G network for connectivity. The website doesn't say who - e.g., ATT, VzW, Sprint, etc.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,870 Posts
Tim said:
Chrysler has made this service (http://www.autonetmobile.com/) available in many of their cars. I also have not heard of it being offer by any other auto manufacturers. It uses the wireless 3G network for connectivity. The website doesn't say who - e.g., ATT, VzW, Sprint, etc.
I like the idea and the price isn't too bad for monthly service. I wonder what it would take to gear up the Acadia and could you run the signal through the antenna
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
Here is the similar D-Link product to the device that is offered by autonetmobile - http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=524. You just need an EVDO card from either Sprint or VzW and a monthly plan. Plus you can take it in the house and maybe do away with cable or dsl broadband.

Make sure you check the T&C's of the plan you buy. Sharing 3G access via a device like this is usually excluded.

Should be able to use the same antenna as OnStar (which uses the VzW network), though I don't know how to splice the two antenna leads together.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,374 Posts
I remember reading something about that on the Dodge build your own website. I looked at the website (Autonet) Tim linked & their prices are the same as what I was getting when I ditched the local Wi-Fi setup and went to mobile broadband. Sprint gives (gave by now no doubt) unlimited for the $59, everyone else was 5GB/month like Autonet (I estimate I use up .83 GB/day just reading jsimms posts here ;)).

With a DC adapter, an inverter, or just using the 115V outlet, you could set this up with a Linksys mobile broadband router and an aircard. We use ours on the road with just the aircard in the laptop & it works OK most places. If you could tie in an external antenna that would really help w/ signal strength for the Internet signal. We're so far in the sticks I have a 3W amplifier and at that can only get a "fair" signal most of the time.

We share the connection via a router & have never had a problem w/ Sprint- they sell the router, so I don't see how they could be too upset about it.

Coverage map from their website:


I looked at coverage maps from several providers & didn't see an exact match. It looked closest to Verizon to me.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,870 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
I remember reading something about that on the Dodge build your own website. I looked at the website (Autonet) Tim linked & their prices are the same as what I was getting when I ditched the local Wi-Fi setup and went to mobile broadband. Sprint gives (gave by now no doubt) unlimited for the $59, everyone else was 5GB/month like Autonet (I estimate I use up .83 GB/day just reading jsimms posts here ;)).
[/color]
With a DC adapter, an inverter, or just using the 115V outlet, you could set this up with a Linksys mobile broadband router and an aircard. We use ours on the road with just the aircard in the laptop & it works OK most places. If you could tie in an external antenna that would really help w/ signal strength for the Internet signal. We're so far in the sticks I have a 3W amplifier and at that can only get a "fair" signal most of the time.

We share the connection via a router & have never had a problem w/ Sprint- they sell the router, so I don't see how they could be too upset about it.

Coverage map from their website:


I looked at coverage maps from several providers & didn't see an exact match. It looked closest to Verizon to me.
Mr. Beauregard; you can't possibly use that much space reading my posts :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
We share the connection via a router & have never had a problem w/ Sprint- they sell the router, so I don't see how they could be too upset about it.
I didn't know Sprint offered that feature/capability. Some time ago, some wireless companies were considering offering this feature/capability for temporary offices that get set up for natural disasters and other temporary/short term needs. I didn't know any had made it a regular offer.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,374 Posts
Unfortunately we didn't know about it either when we set up for Wi-Fi after we moved here. After sinking $1500 +$100/hour for the crane and literally a ton of concrete for the base into a 60' tower that couldn't get a signal, I learned a lot about 802.11x wireless networking. I ended up with a Rube Goldberg setup (pics #1 & 2 attached) using two routers & two high gain antennas to send & receive a signal from the road 1400' to our home, and then via Cat5e cable to the router inside. I then learned a lot about solar power. Getting power to the road portion was a whole other issue when I found that 4x15w solar panels wouldn't keep the battery charged, so I ended up trenching/burying wire a couple hundred feet to a neighbor's well and tapping power there (they are very neighborly and wouldn't take any money for it). Once I had it working fairly well, someone stole the wireless ISP's antenna, so I had to buy another one. When the wireless ISP went out of business I did some research & shopping and found Sprint and removed the above setup.

I don't feel bad spending $35K for a new car- it was a drop in the bucket as compared to that nightmare, and at least it works reliably. ;D

I now have an antenna the size of a CB antenna (pic #3 attached) on the gutter of the roof and with the 3W amp inside it sends/receives far better than the other setup ever did.

:hijacked:
Oops... :-[
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,870 Posts
Wow :thumb:; my hat's off to you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
Blue, Thanks for the pics. You had described this in another post some time ago - before you bought the Acadia. When I shared it with a colleague of mine - another gadget guru who lives north of Orlando - his response was that you live in the part of Florida that just got roads a few years ago :). Anyway, before jsimms came along, what did you do with all your time on the Internet? Were you a day trader? Tim

P.S. I was thinking why you didn't just go to the library to use the Internet. But, if you just got roads, you proably don't have a public library either. LOL

P.S.S. Starting my Thursday with a smile on my face. Priceless!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,870 Posts
Tim said:
Blue, Thanks for the pics. You had described this in another post some time ago - before you bought the Acadia. When I shared it with a colleague of mine - another gadget guru who lives north of Orlando - his response was that you live in the part of Florida that just got roads a few years ago :). Anyway, before jsimms came along, what did you do with all your time on the Internet?[/color] Were you a day trader? Tim

P.S. I was thinking why you didn't just go to the library to use the Internet. But, if you just got roads, you proably don't have a public library either. LOL

P.S.S. Starting my Thursday with a smile on my face. Priceless!
8) I don't get it
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,374 Posts
Tim said:
Blue, Thanks for the pics. You had described this in another post some time ago - before you bought the Acadia. When I shared it with a colleague of mine - another gadget guru who lives north of Orlando - his response was that you live in the part of Florida that just got roads a few years ago :). Anyway, before jsimms came along, what did you do with all your time on the Internet? Were you a day trader? Tim

P.S. I was thinking why you didn't just go to the library to use the Internet. But, if you just got roads, you probably don't have a public library either. LOL

P.S.S. Starting my Thursday with a smile on my face. Priceless!
Some say that to achieve a post count of 1,500 in 54 days would be a near impossibility, and while it is possible in theory, it would take months of code writing to spawn a bot with a small percentage of these capabilities, so one would need to have a lot of time on their hands as well as a master plan for forum domination. All we know is, as long as the IP addresses show as being different, no one can prove a thing.


Say what you will, but IMHO if GMC advertising had 10% of his energy, you'd see Acadia ads everywhere from Atoms to Zeppelins and perhaps more would be selling.

No day trading, although I do some minor league investing. More like a charitable contribution w/o the write off lately. :( I've spent time on most of the forums for my vehicles with the exception of the Mazda/Toyota ones since they don't take nicely (for the most part) to someone ruining one of "their" cars w/ a Chevy motor. The BMW clan was surprisingly receptive & very decent. I don't care for some of the mentality (or actually lack thereof) on the Challenger forum & dropped out. It was also under-moderated, which led to some problems. The Acadia forum is a great place to spend time due to the membership, and the tolerance/efforts of admin & my fellow moderators.

:) Some more smiles...
Not only do we have a library, it even has indoor plumbing. A few folks over chonder have a cement pond. ;) I used to have to go to Orlando for meetings & I'm thankful I don't have to deal with that volume of traffic anymore.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
I used to have to go to Orlando for meetings & I'm thankful I don't have to deal with that volume of traffic anymore.
My Florida colleague works virtual so he doesn't have to deal with the traffic. He's really connected too - cable, DSL, and wireless broadband services. The latter he uses on his boat and motor home and as backup to the terrestrial network.

With $7.2B in the President's stimulus package authorized for rural unserved and underserved broadband markets, you should be calling your congressional representatives.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,374 Posts
Tim said:
you should be calling your congressional representatives.

I've tried on a tax issue... he is not returning my email or calling. I doubt he'd welcome the notion of repealing the income tax for an immediate stimulus vs. spending more "government" money.

Swerving back into our lane-
As for the wireless in a vehicle, here is all you need:
1) Mobile broadband (MBB) card (Sprint, Verizon, AT&T all sell them via their mobile or 3G services). Make sure it can use an external antenna.
2) Mobile broadband router- becomes an access point, so you in effect have your own wireless network. I'm using a Linksys WRT54G3G.
3) Power adapter or inverter for router to use 12V, or you could plug it into the 110V Acadia outlet (if so equipped).
4) External antenna for MBB card with pigtail adapter or correct terminal
5) (If needed) Amplifier- they make models for use in vehicles. I'm using a CM-2000. Be sure to get the proper connectors to connect to the antenna and to the MBB card.

Links for parts:
Antenna Systems
WPS Antennas
Accessory Geeks

Reference:
Pigtail cross-reference

The external antenna is used to connect to the Internet. I've found road coverage even with the small built-in antenna on our Pantech MBB card is pretty good in most urban & suburban areas when we take the laptop on trips. Once the signal is inside the vehicle, the router then sends it to as many wireless devices as needed. Be sure to use wireless security (WPA2), since the guy going down the road nearby can also make use of it. :)

The above parts could be permanently or semi-permanently installed out of sight and only powered when the vehicle is on to avoid any battery drain.

As with most things these days, there is an entire website devoted to stuff like this- MP3car.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
I have free unlimited wifi access in my car using my windows mobile Sprint cell phone and a program call wmwifirouter. The program costs around $30 and it creates an ad-hoc wifi connection and bridges the internet from the sprint network to the wifi connection. My laptop and iPod touch can even join the network at the same time (not sure of the limit to the number of wifi devices that connect to the phone). My phone has an unlimited data plan.


http://www.wmwifirouter.com/
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,870 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
Tim said:
you should be calling your congressional representatives.

I've tried on a tax issue... he is not returning my email or calling. I doubt he'd welcome the notion of repealing the income tax for an immediate stimulus vs. spending more "government" money.

Swerving back into our lane-
As for the wireless in a vehicle, here is all you need:
1) Mobile broadband (MBB) card (Sprint, Verizon, AT&T all sell them via their mobile or 3G services). Make sure it can use an external antenna.
2) Mobile broadband router- becomes an access point, so you in effect have your own wireless network. I'm using a Linksys WRT54G3G.
3) Power adapter or inverter for router to use 12V, or you could plug it into the 110V Acadia outlet (if so equipped).
4) External antenna for MBB card with pigtail adapter or correct terminal
5) (If needed) Amplifier- they make models for use in vehicles. I'm using a CM-2000. Be sure to get the proper connectors to connect to the antenna and to the MBB card.

Links for parts:
Antenna Systems
WPS Antennas
Accessory Geeks

Reference:
Pigtail cross-reference

The external antenna is used to connect to the Internet. I've found road coverage even with the small built-in antenna on our Pantech MBB card is pretty good in most urban & suburban areas when we take the laptop on trips. Once the signal is inside the vehicle, the router then sends it to as many wireless devices as needed. Be sure to use wireless security (WPA2), since the guy going down the road nearby can also make use of it. :)

The above parts could be permanently or semi-permanently installed out of sight and only powered when the vehicle is on to avoid any battery drain.

As with most things these days, there is an entire website devoted to stuff like this- MP3car.com
:worthless:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
533 Posts
Blue,

Nice write-up. Since they're all common pieces of hardware, I could see it all in my mind's eye w/o pics ;) I've got a MBB card for my laptop, but I only activate it when I make occasional week-long trips where I won't have access to wireless or an ethernet port. On one of my upcoming trips I plan this Spring / Summer I'll get to make use of my 115V outlet - that I primarily use for my cell phone. If I didn't already have XM, I'd probably transmit my favorite music via www using the MBB.

Smooth[/color] <><
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top