GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy a power inverter that would be used in case of a power blackout. With anything much over a few hundred watts you must wire directly to the battery. With the location of our battery being in the floor....that makes it difficult. I am wondering whether is would be ok to wire (they give you spring clamps) to the auxilary jumper posts that a suppose to be in the engine compartment?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
If you are thinking about using it to power your house in case of a power outage, I suggest not using an inverter but using a gas generator.

·
Registered
428 Posts
The stock alternator is not going to be able to handle a very large inverter. If you are worried about power during a power outage you need to buy a gasoline or diesel generator to power your things.

·
Registered
423 Posts
screw all that, just convert an old stationary bicycle into a generator. :cheers:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not trying to power the whole house ....just a few lights...maybe the computer or tv set. 1500 watts tops. I would rather not deal with storage of gasoline for a gas generator.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
newz54 said:
I want to buy a power inverter that would be used in case of a power blackout. With anything much over a few hundred watts you must wire directly to the battery. With the location of our battery being in the floor....that makes it difficult. I am wondering whether is would be ok to wire (they give you spring clamps) to the auxilary jumper posts that a suppose to be in the engine compartment?
Then to answer your original question. I think you could wire to the aux jumper posts without any issues.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I wired a Duracell 750 watt inverter onto my '08 Acadia's battery. I have to take my son on trips to get medical treatment and need to run a mister (I think its called a nebulizer or something) and a suction machine. The mister takes about 450 watts to run, so I went with the 750 watt inverter. Bought the inverter at Best Buy. I used an 8-gauge wire kit designed for stereo amplifiers to hook up the inverter directly to the battery. I ran the wires out from under the battery cover, went back between the seats, and then to the inverter which sits under the second row rightside seat. The wires are covered by carpet and matts. Have made two 600 mile trips and everything works great.

The Duracell inverter is manufactured by Xantrex, which is the same company that made the 1.5 kw inverters I use with solar panels on my house. Xantrex makes great stuff and I highly recommend the inverter they make for Duracell.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts