GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone replaced their Acadia wiper blades? Just wondering if its any more complicated with the new design blades have these days.

·
Registered
294 Posts
mikemu said:
Has anyone replaced their Acadia wiper blades? Just wondering if its any more complicated with the new design blades have these days.
They still snap in the same way as the old type --- just look different. :thumb:

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And cost lots more. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see them online at ROCKAUTO.com. They have the original AC Delco blades which seem fine - Mine are 1 1/2 years old and just now starting to streak.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Should the blades be replaced every 12 months? or is it really more on whether you see some streaking or not? I don't really wanna replace it if the visibility is still good. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The new design seems to last much longer than the old style which seemed to require replacement every six months or so.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
:-\ I've always had the experience, and this doesn't make sense, that I'll get about 2 years out of the originals, but the replacement blades only last up to a year. Don't ask me why, but seems like the first ones on a new car are better.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
09Enclave said:
:-\ I've always had the experience, and this doesn't make sense, that I'll get about 2 years out of the originals, but the replacement blades only last up to a year. Don't ask me why, but seems like the first ones on a new car are better.
I totally agree and I have never figured it out. The originals on all my cars have lasted 2+ years with no streaking. All replacements, even when purchasing OEM from the dealer, have not lasted for more than 1 year and usually 6 months.

One theory I have is that the glass on the windshield becomes worn somehow and that is what causes them to wear quicker. Who knows?

·
Registered
63 Posts
When you replace your wiper blades, also spray down your windshield with alot of glass cleaner (preferably the foaming kind, like the GM glass cleaner) and scrub it with fine steel wool. I know this seems like it would scratch the bejesus out of the glass, but it doesn't, it just gets all the fine contaminates off the surface. This is common practice for detailers.

·
Registered
350 Posts
09Enclave said:
I have the same experience with brakes on GM cars.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Most of the OEM brake pads are ceramic - if you go with those upon replacement, they should last just as long unless the rotors deteriorate which will then shorten the life of the new pads.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
tmundal said:
When you replace your wiper blades, also spray down your windshield with alot of glass cleaner (preferably the foaming kind, like the GM glass cleaner) and scrub it with fine steel wool. I know this seems like it would scratch the bejesus out of the glass, but it doesn't, it just gets all the fine contaminates off the surface. This is common practice for detailers.
Fine steel wool; any ideas of a particular product that you know of?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
tmundal said:
I would not do that. Steel wool breaks off into a million little pcs and get everywhere, then it will rust. Sounds like a headache later when you are trying to get off all the little stuck on rust pcs in places that you would think that they would not end up.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree on the potential risk of steel wool. Windex and paper towels will do just fine.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
mikemu said:
I agree on the potential risk of steel wool. Windex and paper towels will do just fine.
I don't have too much extra time so I will probably end up just replacing the wipers a bit more often. :)

·
Registered
681 Posts
I use a glass polish and that seems to work fine at getting the fine particles off the windshield, have to use a lot of elbow grease.

Just replaced my wipers, bought vehicle in March 2007 so two years is pretty good, these are more expensive but they last a long time. I paid a total of 36.52 for both front blades they are showing list price as $52.16 but I got them under list, the dealer thinks they are overpriced - go figure a dealer with a heart - I am sure there is still some mark up in there for him. The sticker on the package said made in Belgium - is this were Bosch is located???

1 - 16 of 16 Posts