GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and have just purchased a new 2007 ACadia SLTII AWD. It seems to be a great fit with our family.

My question is that I want winter tires. Specifically I am looking for steel aftermarket wheels (19") that I can mount winter tires and change the wheels seasonally. Everywhere I inquire I am told there are no OEM steel wheels nor aftermarket options. Can anyone offer any advice?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am also new to this forum and this is a question I have interest in. I plan to acquire a Lambda-based vehicle in the next 1-2 yrs and in our area it is law to have winter tires on from Nov to Apr (from next year). It is always a stampede after the first snowfall for people to have the winter rubber put on at garages if you only have a singe set of rims. I prefer doing this myself by far, but I have looked it up on our side of the border and there are no 18 in steel wheels available anywhere in that size and bolt pattern (6X132), let alone 19s. I'd love to keep the aluminum wheels but they don't like the salt on the roads and end up looking pretty bad after only a few years, plus they pack with snow more easily due to the large openings.

I have checked places like tiretrends but they are more interested in selling the fancy 20-22 in rims, which are not much use in this case. I realize this is not much help but if enough people ask they may do something about it.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Tire rack has a number of aftermarket wheels for the Acadia although they are all alloys, not steel. Most of them are 20s and larger as well but there is at least one set of 18s. For winter tires you are better off with more tire and less wheel so either aftermarket 18s or maybe some OEM 18s as takeoffs from a local tire place like Discount (AKA America's tire) might be a doable alternative.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ummm....I have a set of 19" take offs (Wheels & Tires) that could be bought for around $900.....

I know they are not Steel, but a fair alternative maybe?
You could get you a Snow tires and still have a back-up set of tires for when you need them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Winter tires may actually be more of a problem than winter wheels. My preference would also be to go with 18s, but the only tires (of any type) listed by Tire rack in the Acadia size are the ones it comes with. Recently, however, they are showing two 19 inch winter tires, making me think again about that size for the winter wheels.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,
With the unveiling this week of the Chevy Traverse, they mentioned an option of 17 in steel wheels. If they could fit on the same hub and not cause problems with the brake discs and calipers, this could prove to be a viable alternative for winter wheels (18 in in the summer, 17 in the winter). Not as nice looking for sure, but there are at least 2 winter tires available in 255/70R17 (Michelin X-ice and Bridgestone Blizzak) that are an exact diameter match for the 255/65R18. A possible alternative if all the other mechanical parameters fit. OEM steel rims are usually more expensive than aftermarkets, but not as much as another set of aluminium rims. We'll be able to verify as more info emerges...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts