GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my installation instructions for installing this Winplus vehicle backup camera system.
I picked this item up at Costco for $79.99. The package consits of
1- 3.5" LCD color monitor with USB charging capability for accessories, Headphone port, AV input for other devices, 1-12v hardwire harness for monitor
1-12v cigarette plug for monitor
1-camera with night vision assitance with positive and negative wire
4-wire taps
2 velcro straps
1-AC vent mount kit for mounting monitor

Monitor and Camera interact on a 2.4GHz wireless frequency.

Several posts will be made to complete this.
**************** WARNING AND DISCLAIMER ************************************
I AM NO MEANS A PROFESSIONAL ELCTRICIAN OR AUTOMOTIVE ACCESSORY INSTALLER. I DID THIS AT MY OWN RISK, AND YOU WILL BE DOING THE SAME. THESE POSTS ARE ONLY MY OPINION ON HOW I DID THIS AND BY NO MEANS IS THIS A DEFINITE OR THE ONLY WAY TO DO THIS. [/color]

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Step 1 was to remove the panel that covers the rear liftgate.

Open the liftgate. ( If you have a remote power liftgate I recommend disabling the power liftgate feature but pressing the button on the dashboard.)

Above the latching mechanism for the liftgate you will see 2 round plastic pieces. Pop those out using a flat screwdriver. Careful not to break them.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Step 2
After completing step1, you will need to remove the liftgate handle.
There is a plastic cover over the handle itself.
With a flat screwdriver pop off the plastic cover for the handle.
Then remove the 2 screws on the sides of the handles to remove the assembly.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Step 3.
After you remove the handle, you can then start removing the interior liftgate panel.
There are several plastic pushtabs that hold it in place. starting the near the bottom part of the liftgate where you removed the plastic tabs, start gently pulling the panel away from the liftgate, the tabs will pop out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Step 4
While removing the interior panel cover, you will need to disconnect, 2 wiring harness
located near the release mechanism. just remember to reconnect them, when you put the panel back on later.

as you are removing the interor panel, where it connects to the back window area, there are 2 clips, one on each side that are holding it there, you will need to pop those out too, but the will be easy to get to as you remove the liftgate panel.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Step 5
You should have the interior panel off at this point. Now is time to remove the Chrome GMC piece that holds the license plate lights. Shown in the photo

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Step 5-1
looking at the exposed liftgate you will see the wiper motor, above the wiper motor on both sides you will see 2 black screws with nuts, Those nuts need to be removed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Step 5-2,
Now that you have removed the 2 nut from the black screws you will have to pop out 2 plastic retaining clips. They are hard to see in the photo, but you will have to stand under the liftgate facing the back of the vehcile. lower the liftgate down slightly on top of you. Look between the 2 layers of metal next to the black screws, you will see the blue clips.
With needle nose pliers, pinch the sides of the clips, at the same time use your other hand to push the black screw out the back of the vehcile, repeat the same step for the 2nd blue clip.

****WARNING WHEN POPPING OUT THE CLIPS, BECAREFUL NOT TO LET THE CHROME GMC PIECE FALL, IT WILL SCRATCH THE PAINT OF YOU CAR, GET A 2ND PERSON TO BRACE IT FROM FALLING. ************[/color]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After removing the Chrome GMC piece, I fed the wires through the hole around the rubber grommet that holds the wires for the license plate lights.
I did not want to drill any holes in the Chrome piece or in the vehicle.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Locating the reverse lights. the reverse lights are the smaller bulbs on the outer edges of the liftgate.

There are 2 black wires for the reverse light, but be careful, it is also wired to the another light (i don't know which one I accidentally disconnected a connector for another light but was able to reconnect it.. Just don't pull to hard on the wires that are running back in the skin of the liftgate.) twist the bulb out of its holder, and let it hang, using the 2 included wire taps, connect them to the black wires. If you have a volt meter you could test the wires to see which is positve and negative. I don't have one so I did trial and error, 2nd time was a charm.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Test everything and make sure it works before closing up shop. When putting it all back together, just go in reverse tear down process. You may have to pound pretty hard to get the retaining clips to catch, but they will don't worry.

I have not installed and mounted the monitor yet. When I decide where I am going to get the power source I will add all that in too. This was relatively easy to do, just took some time since I really wasn't sure where anything was, and how it would come apart.

Once again, this was no way a professional install or the best way to do it, this was just how I did it. Hope it may help someone if they need it. Any questions let me know, and I will try to answer them.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This style camera comes with a bracket that slides over the license plate and secures with double sided 3m tape, and is held in place when you tighten the screws back up.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Nice pictures and instructions. Think about mounting the monitor on your visor. I am sure several strips of heavy duty velco would work. The hard part will be taking about the vanity mirror switch to find power that is always on. One side of the switch will be always hot power....just have to find the ground wire. I am thinking about doing this because I might mount a bluetooth speakerphone on the visor.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to do such a detailed write up on your mod. You are much braver than I when it comes to diving into something like that. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
newz54 said:
Nice pictures and instructions. Think about mounting the monitor on your visor. I am sure several strips of heavy duty velco would work. The hard part will be taking about the vanity mirror switch to find power that is always on. One side of the switch will be always hot power....just have to find the ground wire. I am thinking about doing this because I might mount a bluetooth speakerphone on the visor.
I had thought about that or mounting it on the windshield to the left of the rearview mirror, my GPS is mounted on the right of the mirror. An easy spot to see when backing up. The power source would probably come from the onstar harness to the mirror, or the overhead lights. One of the features for this monitor, is that it can be wired to the reverse gear, so that when it is put into reverse that is when it turns on, then I wouldn't have to turn it on each time, or have it on all the time.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Kloogee said:
Thanks for taking the time to do such a detailed write up on your mod. You are much braver than I when it comes to diving into something like that. :cheers:
No problem glad you liked it, sometimes that is how we find out new things, by just diving in and trying it. As I said previously, it's only money right? HAHA ;)

·
Registered
812 Posts
:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :thumb: Thanks for the info..... we need more of these kind! ;D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Great instructions....I liked the part where you have the tips and warnings...

I attempted this a couple of weeks ago.

I had 60 miles on the od and scratched the rear hatch when the crome GMC pc poped off and dangled by the wire.

I also broke one of the plastic tabs that hold the white plastic clips near the window.
Tip make sure the panel is warm so that the plastic tabs do not break when removeding the main hatch cover.

Still trying to figure out a good place to put the monitor. The suction cup does not work very well.

Once again, great job detailing the install!

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I didn't have that problem. May want to just see if moving the antenna around a bit gets you a better signal, or you may have interference from something else.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts