GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here made the switch to Windows 10? If so, how do you like it?

·
Registered
8,494 Posts
staying away from it--- for a while.... until others test it.

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
I keep getting notifications pop up on my screen offering the free "upgrade". I'm pretty happy with 7, so probably won't switch.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
I have Win 7 on my desktop, and a month ago I bought a Dell 2-in-1 laptop/tablet to take on a trip to Norway. The laptop came with Win 10 already loaded on it and it's very different. I like the laptop but I'm not at all crazy about Win 10. It boots up and shuts down a whole lot faster than Win 7 does, but for now I'm staying with Win 7 on my desktop.

·
Super Moderator
18,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GeoHawk said:
I keep getting notifications pop up on my screen offering the free "upgrade". I'm pretty happy with 7, so probably won't switch.
I keep getting the same thing. I read (somewhere) that Windows will force the upgrade on 7 users sometime. They're supposedly going to do it automatically.

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
Speleos said:
I keep getting the same thing. I read (somewhere) that Windows will force the upgrade on 7 users sometime. They're supposedly going to do it automatically.
Great. I'll be looking forward to that. :puke:

·
Registered
733 Posts
Speleos said:
I don't think it will force you to upgrade to Windows 10 but I do know the free upgrade is only good for a year, (June/July 2016) after that it will cost you if you want to upgrade. I have Windows 8 on my laptop so I will upgrade after the first of the year, I figure they should have most of the bugs worked out by then.
If you upgrade make sure your old programs can run on win10 and that any devices have new win10 drivers out for them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My new HP pc has Windows 10 and I upgraded my laptop from Windows 7 to 10 for free. Runs great with no problems. Don't see any reason not to upgrade.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I made the "upgrade" to Windows 10 on my Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro and still finding it awkward to navigate/use. I too got the click her to upgrade for free and Microsoft will let you know when your upgrade is ready a while back so I did so not intending to do it any time soon. Unfortunately I was on call rotation the weekend I inadvertently updated and sure enough I couldn't log in through our work-hospital server so had to go physically go in instead of being able to just check a patients' electronic medical record.... :facepalm:! I come to find out from our IT dept that Windows 10 is still not bug free and compatible with most of our software interface. Time to bust out my old Commodore 64.... :banghead:

·
Registered
336 Posts
janaya3 said:
I made the "upgrade" to Windows 10 on my Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro and still finding it awkward to navigate/use. I too got the click her to upgrade for free and Microsoft will let you know when your upgrade is ready a while back so I did so not intending to do it any time soon. Unfortunately I was on call rotation the weekend I inadvertently updated and sure enough I couldn't log in through our work-hospital server so had to go physically go in instead of being able to just check a patients' electronic medical record.... :facepalm:! I come to find out from our IT dept that Windows 10 is still not bug free and compatible with most of our software interface. Time to bust out my old Commodore 64.... :banghead:
We've tested the restore to the previous version quite a bit here at work and it seems to work just fine. If you don't like 10, go back (I think you have 30 days until the restore files go away).

10 is much better than 8 and the adjustment from 8 is pretty small. If you are used to 7, there is an adjustment period and some things are a bit frustrating (such as the desktop version and the app version of similar components). For day to day tasks 10 seems to work great and should preform better than 7 in a lot of cases. There isn't much reason not to upgrade for the casual user who is just doing email and web browsing. (although I'm not a big fan of the auto updates that you can't skip on the home version) and documents. If you have specific things you need to do, like jana3, its best to double check, but the list of software not working with 10 seems pretty small. Most of our upgrades to 10 have been trouble free. We've had 1 or 2 hiccups with drive encryption and a few other things that get a little frustrating.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
My Dell Inspiron 15, touch screen, i3, came with Win 8.1, Dec. 14'. I downloaded Win 10, August 10, over my ATT U-verse DSL line. But, I first ran Malewarebytes, Ran the Free Up Disk Drive, and then Defraged the Hard Drive. After the Win 10 Download complete, I ran the Free Up Disk Drive , and Defragged the Hard Drive. Win 10 is pretty much similar to 8.1. NO big deal.

The end of August, my now wife's 7 year old Asus with Win 7 Home, was upgraded to WIN 10.

You can use the auto update and uninstall those you don't want OR not use the auto update and select what updates you want to install. Pretty simple.

Both laptops have NO issues and use the Auto Updates. I have Malewarebytes and Webroot to keep both PC's running smoothly all the time with no delay times.

WINDOWS 10 is a piece of cake! It is a nice operating system like 8.1 for what I use it for....E-mail, surfing, photo, and video, word, excel, etc....... Nothing was disturbed during downloading of Win 10,
but I did do a back up on my external HD on my laptop. No back up required on wife's.

My Toshiba 11 inch touch screen I purchased early August, came with Win 10. Perfect! Updates are on Automatic, no big deal for me.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I have the Windows 10 ready to be installed, replacing the Windows 8.1 that is on it now. I was emailed this information from a friend a few weeks ago and will follow the advice in the article. Maybe it's nothing, but anymore, anything you can do to help insure privacy isn't going to hurt anything.

http://www.komando.com/tips/320246/3-windows-10-privacy-dangers-to-fix-now

http://www.komando.com/happening-now/319080/windows-10-secretly-uses-your-bandwidth-to-distribute-updates-to-other-people

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
People.......don't get paranoid what you read and what info it gathers. I DON'T use GOOGLE, and don't have to explain why, do I???? ;D Everyone is tracking you in some form or other. No big deal

First Microsoft's New EDGE is full of advertising...etc and no way to block. Still, Microsoft 10 is the least of MY worries. ENJOY IT

So...... use INTERNET EXPLORER and I use Att.Yahoo as my search engine as have Att U-Verse, which I prefer. I've tried others too.

If worried about ads. Download Ad Blocker.
Then do a search for, "Opt Out" Download those that refer to your needs.

Those that are paranoid over 10, use your 7 or 8. Maybe buy a new MAC Book Pro??? Are you being tracked also?? Mine has been collecting dust the past 9 months....long story short, but I keep on top of ALL the updates....just b/c.

·
Registered
431 Posts
andyw715 said:
Don't upgrade if you use Cisco's VPN client. No worky
Yup and thus the reason I couldn't access anything from home. Our institution uses Cisco VPN and I believe Citrix. Our IT department has their hands full. Actually they probably don't until Microsoft releases patches and fixes for these issues. I guess our problem is now common and widespread as the IT dept just issued a notice not to install or upgrade to Windows 10 if you will be accessing their network for work related tasks at home.

·
Super Moderator
18,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
andyw715 said:
Don't upgrade if you use Cisco's VPN client. No worky
Fortunately, this is not a concern. I'm not in any 'work from home' situation where I need to log into someone else's network.

teetertotter said:
My Dell Inspiron 15, touch screen, i3, came with Win 8.1, Dec. 14'. ... Win 10 is pretty much similar to 8.1. NO big deal.

The end of August, my now wife's 7 year old Asus with Win 7 Home, was upgraded to WIN 10.
Both laptops have NO issues and use the Auto Updates. ..

WINDOWS 10 is a piece of cake! It is a nice operating system like 8.1 for what I use it for....E-mail, surfing, photo, and video, word, excel, etc....... Nothing was disturbed during downloading of Win 10, ...
The above are probably the most useful comments. I've been through many of the Windows upgrades since it first came out (all but 2000 and 8, I think). Within a few footsteps, I have 5 computers that still run - 3 on XP, one on 3.1, and one old dinosaur DOS-only computer. (I wish Windows hadn't stopped supporting XP - it's still pretty good!) I believe I'll be able to handle all the set-ups necessary to keep my computer 'protected' while running the new system.

Thanks to all who commented. A friend told me that the best thing about 10 is that it's great for gaming. Even though I don't do that, I'll probably switch over sometime soon. When the upgrade goes down, I'll be switching from 7 to 10 on this HP laptop (never had much exposure to 8 except on a relative's computer). Stay tuned! I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Super Moderator
18,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Took the leap. :eek: The update was much like boiling 5 gallons of water over sterno ... it took FOREVER (or so it seemed ;D )! Currently exploring all the apps to find out which ones are useful and which are not needed. So far, so good! The change from Windows 7 doesn't seem too drastic.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts