GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How durable is window tint? I was looking to use it in another application that would be exposed to weather conditions...as if put on the exterior of the glass. Assuming it would not hold up too well and would peel easily from the exposed edges, but need confirmation with someone experienced with it.

Is the stuff you can buy from the autochains(Pep Boys, Advanced Auto, Autozone, etc...) worth trying or is it complete crap? Anyone had any experience using it and installing yourself? Got any pointers, how-to, tips?

·
Registered
362 Posts
imgntht said:
How durable is window tint? I was looking to use it in another application that would be exposed to weather conditions...as if put on the exterior of the glass. Assuming it would not hold up too well and would peel easily from the exposed edges, but need confirmation with someone experienced with it.
The film goes on the inside of the window. I would have it done professionally. I had my current car windows tinted back in 2000 and it looks at good as the day it was installed. No bubbles and no fading. Don't buy the junk in the stores.

Also, someone posted some info about pre-cut tint that they bought very cheaply on eBay. I'm thinking of going that route when I get my Acadia. I'll see if I can round up the thread and post a link to it.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I had my last three cars tinted and never had a problem (no bubbles, peeling etc.). It does go on the inside and you are not supposed to use any ammonia based cleaners (windex). The Acadia only needs the front two done and I paid $75 with a lifetime warranty. I know you can buy thermal film for home windows as well from Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Don't have any experience with it though, but assume it's similar and applied to the inside.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks but I'm not looking to use this on the car...reread my original post, said I was using it in another application(ie. not the car windows, non automotive). I have another piece of glass that as a project I was considering "tinting" to give it a smoked look, but didn't want to paint it so it could be a bit more reversable if need be.

I know the Ebay stuff, I'm on there all the time looking for things, but again not trying to purchase for the Acadia.

·
Registered
362 Posts
imgntht said:
Thanks but I'm not looking to use this on the car...reread my original post, said I was using it in another application(ie. not the car windows, non automotive). I have another piece of glass that as a project I was considering "tinting" to give it a smoked look, but didn't want to paint it so it could be a bit more reversable if need be.
Then I doubt a tint film would be the way to go. Having it exposed to the elements would eventually make it peel.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, that was my initial suspicion as well. They have paint used for tinting, but I'm concerned over having a steady flow and the fact that it is permanent. May just have to ditch my idea.

·
Registered
362 Posts
You might try and see if you can get the pre-tinted glass. The window in my den has tinted glass.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had my Acadia Tinted this summer it cost me about $200. The tints came with a life time warranty so if anything happen, any peeling or bubbleing i can easily get it replaced. The tints came in the options of either 5% 20% or 30%. I had 20% all around. The 20% went over the factory tints on the rear windows. In the night you can not see into the car in the rear and in the front you have to come closely to see. During the day if the light hit the rear window then you can see through it. I will try to post pictures as soon as i can.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Had the drivers side and passenger side windows tinted by the same professional installer who did my former suv 4 years ago. He does quality work, charged $50, and it is probably the 4th or 5th one in a row he has done. He goes with the legal degree of tint allowed and I have never had to go back for any repair or touch up. He always suggests to use a cleaning solution of one third isopropyl acohol to two thirds water. Never has scratched or abraded the tint.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I purchased pre-cut tint off of ebay for the two front windows for under $20 delivered, very good qualtity.  Super easy to install, recommend two people. If the tint curls and sticks to itself your screwed.  Also if you do not know what you are doing I wouldn't recommend doing curved windows.  I tinted my bedroom windows (made a huge difference) with tint from Lowes. I used the solution from Lowes to apply the tint to the Acadia, I hear a woollight and water mixture will work fine as well.  DO NOT BE STINGY using the solution; however, cover up the door panel so nothing drips on the plastic. ~Peace

·
Registered
15 Posts
Has anyone who has the front two windows tinted on their Acadia, every has the tint make a noise where it rubs
against the rubber trim on the inside at the top of the window. Both windows seen to make a very annoying noise
whne you are going down the road and when you apply pressure to the top of the window on the inside the noise stops. Is there a silicon or another lubricant that you can apply to the rubber trim to stop the noise?

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts