GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I just getting old or does anyone else out there have a difficult time seeing traffic at night with the dark window tint? The dealer put it on before I even picked it up, guess it was part of the package, but it is so **** dark I have to roll my windows down backing out of my driveway at night just to feel safe that I am not running over the family pet or a neighbor. But the scary part is I seem to have just completely not seen a couple vehicles at night and just about got creamed both times. I have never had this problem before even with tinted windows in the past. Anyone else having difficulty seeing at night?

·
Registered
752 Posts
I agree, but I always thought it was the self dimming mirrors?

·
Registered
148 Posts
ya, you're old.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Where we live tinted windows on the driver & passenger windows is illegal. Cops want to see whats going on in a car when they approach it during a traffic stop. I don't blame them with all the nut cases around!

·
Registered
812 Posts
donlovestheas said:
Am I just getting old or does anyone else out there have a difficult time seeing traffic at night with the dark window tint? The dealer put it on before I even picked it up, guess it was part of the package, but it is so **** dark I have to roll my windows down backing out of my driveway at night just to feel safe that I am not running over the family pet or a neighbor. But the scary part is I seem to have just completely not seen a couple vehicles at night and just about got creamed both times. I have never had this problem before even with tinted windows in the past. Anyone else having difficulty seeing at night?
the only solution, change your tint to a lighter shade.... :thumb:

·
Registered
752 Posts
What's the best way to change it - a baseball bat or a brick ??? - ;D

O, and I do think those auto dimming mirrors are part of the problem.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
donlovestheas said:
Was your tint an add on, or was it just the standard tint that comes with the SLT?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was just the standard tint. I think it was a good point about the auto dimming mirrors, combined with the tint. Honestly, it's a bit dangerous despite the claim that indeed I am getting too old-my eyesight isn't gone at 42, and I really need to make a point of triple checking traffic at night. Twice now I would have sworn no one was coming and I almost got me and the other driver into a serious accident. I think I am going to have the tint removed. Was just curious if any else had experienced this and hoping that it might get someone thinking before they too went out in an intersection thinking it was clear and not seeing some old volvo with muddy lights going 50 mph coming right at you.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The standard tint is manufactured into the window (part of the glass) and cannot be removed. Are you certain the dealer did not add some additional tint?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
You cannot remove the tint that is in the glass, but I think you can turn off the dimming mirrors. I have the inside dimming mirror and can turn it on/off by pressing and holding the power button. I don't have the dimming outside mirrors, but perhaps this works for them as well.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info on the dimming option, I will read my owners manual on that. As far as the window tint, I know the dealer added a tint because I was told when I picked up the vehicle not to roll down the windows for 24 hours as the tint was just applied. (they also applied a stripe on each side which I hated and took of when I got home) If the window glass comes tinted on the SLT 2, and there also has been tint added, then I am guessing that could be why I am experiencing such visibility issues at night.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
If the dealer added tint you did not want, then I would demand it to be removed. Why would they do that?

·
Registered
249 Posts
GAR said:
If the dealer added tint you did not want, then I would demand it to be removed. Why would they do that?
Exactly!? Or adding pinstripes!?? What is this, 1975?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOL...exactly.. that is what I thought. I think GM sometimes is stuck i this god awful Trans Am time warp machine, and they just haven't taken a look around the new millennium yet. I see other Acadia's driving with **** stripe around town town (the dealer, Nimnicht, is I believe the largest GM dealer in the Jacksonville area) and it makes me laugh every time.

·
Super Moderator
22,619 Posts
Don,

You're just getting OLD!!! :deadhorse:

·
Registered
812 Posts
speleos said:
Don,

You're just getting OLD!!! :deadhorse:
:ditto: you should be thankful its just pin stripes what if they put some flames on it??? ;D

·
Registered
164 Posts
donlovestheas said:
LOL...exactly.. that is what I thought. I think GM sometimes is stuck i this god awful Trans Am time warp machine, and they just haven't taken a look around the new millennium yet. I see other Acadia's driving with **** stripe around town town (the dealer, Nimnicht, is I believe the largest GM dealer in the Jacksonville area) and it makes me laugh every time.
It's not GM but the dealers looking to make a few more bucks on each vehicle. I've seen $90 charged for what amounts to a decal.
I was fortunate to pick my Outlook a day after it came off the truck and before it was "molested" by the pinstripping gremlins.

·
Registered
249 Posts
SioXie said:
you should be thankful its just pin stripes what if they put some flames on it??? ;D
LOL! Oh yes! Flames rule! And how about bubble windows and a CB antenna? :thumb:

·
Registered
812 Posts
It's not GM but the dealers looking to make a few more bucks on each vehicle. I've seen $90 charged for what amounts to a decal.
I was fortunate to pick my Outlook a day after it came off the truck and before it was "molested" by the pinstripping gremlins[/color]

LOL that almost made my day!!! ;D although to be fair some dealers do have pretty "show" vehicles. the major upgrade are some color matching killer rims. just make sure you check the sticker price as most are jacked up by almost 40% the value of optional rims.

·
Super Moderator
22,619 Posts
Aclavelook said:
SioXie said:
you should be thankful its just pin stripes what if they put some flames on it??? ;D
LOL! Oh yes! Flames rule! And how about bubble windows and a CB antenna? :thumb:
I prefer dingle balls and fuzzy dice, myself! :puke:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.