GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're in Texas and really had no plans to go for an AWD, but I'm interested to hear if anyone reccomends it from a towing standpoint....specifically getting up wet boat ramps or any other situation I may not have thought of. We don't have the boat (or the Acadia for that matter) yet but it'd most likely be some kind of fish/ski setup, maybe around 18-20'. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
41 Posts
From a simple towing standpoint (moving over roads), AWD adds nothing to the Acadia's towing abilities.

It's only on the ramp that AWD will show (and prove) it's worth.

However, that also depends a lot on the ramp. If it's a lake which never fluctuates it's levels, the ramp is fairly clean (no plant growth) and the ramp is fairly shallow, and it's the only ramp you will ever be using, then AWD seems optional.

However, when has any of the above "ramp conditions" ever been true?

How many other poor souls have you seen who can't get the trailer out of the water in 2WD with a rear-wheel driven truck? FWD is worse, since the hitch weight will also help "unload" the front wheels and they will slip more, even if they might be out of the water.

In short, anyone who owns a boat, or is considering one, should strongly consider owning a vehicle that can at least be 4WD on a ramp. If you go AWD, you don't even have to worry about selecting 4WD. It doesn't detract much from the MPG of the FWD version either. It seems like a no-brainer to me, at least.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Yep, if you're dealing with boat ramps that can be wet and slimy it can be a big help.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
We have FWD and we tow a horse and trailer with no problems. Unfortunately, since we have a horse we can't get a boat. My husband claims the Acadia can only tow one! ;D

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the FWD and tow a 3000lb boat without any problem. I use a fairly steep concrete ramp and have no problem getting out of the water. I used to tow with a Chevy Silverado 2WD and it seemed to work much harder pulling the boat out. I have never even had the front wheels spin, so I think a FWD should be fine except on very poor ramps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
While minor, the AWD adds 52 lbs towing capabiliy
The curb weight is (source Edmunds.com):
FWD is 4,788lbs
AWD is 4,936lbs
... delta is 148lbs

And the GWCR capacity is (source owners manual page 4-34)
FWR is 9,500lbs
AWD is 9,700lbs
... delta is 200lbs

so technically the AWD does increase towing ability ;D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts