GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it has been a long 5 months trying to find the right deal on an Acadia. Seems everything we want is overpriced or too far away (**** Maine!). Brought home an 08 SLE with NO options last night to demo. Overall it is a great vehicle, I wanted to leave it there and hold out for options but the wife wanted to bring it home. It was a rental vehicle and has 23K miles. I feel it is overpriced, and am just looking for some feedback on wether to hold out or give in. We are trading our 2006 Fully loaded GXP in on this, we paid $24K 1 year ago for the GXP and now owe $11K. They want $24K out the door with our trade.... I understand the GXP has depreciated greatly, but considering I could buy an 08 in October for around $27-28K brand new I am not impressed (let me just insert here that the wife wanted to bring this home). Any thoughts or opinions greatly appreciated!

J

·
Registered
200 Posts
It would help to know where in the world you are located, especially when talking about pricing. There are some incredible deals at my local dealerships, especially involving the 2009 SLE---I'm talking new, with some options, in the low to mid 20s. Unreal. In that sweet looking green color too.

Red Tag sale---dealer price, minus some GE money, and then something like $4,000 more from the dealer.

I would look hard at the new vehicle deals before I did anything with a rental vehicle, and with no options, etc.. Especially after all this time invested already.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Here's a link to the Silver Green Metallic I was referring to. MSRP is $32,730. Note---the website does not list the $4000 from the dealer and some other incentives currently offered. You have to go there to see them. All it has is the red tag sale. Click on Window Sticker to see the options and details.

http://www.faulknerharrisburg.com/VehicleDetails/1151249904

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks for the heads up. I did mention in the first post that I am in Maine. That 09 really sounds like a great deal, thanks for the link and the ammunition!! Prob a 10 hour drive to the dealer, but for the right deal I would take a day to do that.... Do you have an in there? Thanks again,

J

·
Registered
200 Posts
Oops, missed that in your post. No "in" there other than purchasing my 08 SLT there. Walked around last week and checked out the 09s during my first oil change (6k + miles). Was amazed.

If you call the dealer instead of driving the 10 hours, I would think they would go over the numbers with you, especially if you show the knowledge and interest level and explain your driving distance.

I would guess many dealers are doing the same sales right now though.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Rentals are usually driven hard, 23k miles seems like a lot.
From the prices you quoted, looks like the Acadia is going for about $20,000.
It is not a bad deal, (but not a good deal either), and it does have 2 years worth of mileage on it.
See if you can get more off the price, and a long extended warrenty for free.
Otherwise I would look into a new 2009.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I agree with Copper about the rentals- most in my experience are treated poorly by those that rent them & those that are supposed to maintain them. Since you have spent a lot of time and done your homework on this, it does not make sense to settle for something when the price new is so close.

Have you considered selling the GXP yourself? I am using a website called Vehix.com to do some inventory tracking on another website, and one of the members there said it was free to list your car for sale. It is also a good idea to join a forum (like you did here ;)) for the GXP and see if anyone is selling one like yours, or better yet wants one like yours. You can also check ebay for completed auctions (if you have an account there) to see what they are selling for. Dealer trades are the lowest amount of money you will get for a car. The two advantages of a dealer trade are no hassles with people looking at your car/missed appointments, and some states lower the sales tax on the price of the replacement vehicle (don't know about Maine). I suspect if you can sell it yourself, you could make up most of the difference between the rental and a new Acadia.

Unfortunately it is not uncommon to have to go out of the area for a deal. we had to go 140 miles for our Acadia, and I'm looking at a trip to Illinois for my next car. I'm saving close to $3K, so it is worth a couple of days to me.

If you do decide on used, make sure you get a vehicle history report on it (like Carfax) and possibly let our top notch member Geohawk check the service history in the GM computer (if he is willing- I know he has done this for others but don't want to volunteer his services).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for all the helpful input! The Acadia is going back to the dealership today. Blue_2009_SLT2, yes I have tried selling it in several places online and in the local swap paper. Even at $16K (highest trade we were offered) we didn't get one email. Times are hard, and the dealer is always willing to take trade ins.... I found a full load SLT2 in Mount Morris, Penn for around $25K out the door (with trade) guess thats my next path to try. Anyone near there??? Mapquest says its 14hrs 1 way! That would make for a long day! Thanks again!

J

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had to look that one up......it's just above the West Virginia border in southwestern pa. Way below Pittsburgh. There are many more GM dealers in PA alone that wouldn't be as far for you----you can actually google PA GM dealers......PA Saturn dealers......etc....and then check them. Or you can use auto trader and other sites.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I forgot how tight the used car market is. You'd like the SLT2 a lot better for about the same money. Is it the same year/miles or how does it compare to the first deal?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I did try several searches. Just seems there aren't many in my area (04463) or they still don't know about the internet :) Anyhow first deal was an 08 Base SLE with NO options (bench middle) and 23K. Second is:

http://i79hondamazda.autorevo.com/webtemplate.aspx?iid=528718

Let me know what you think. I had talked to these guys just before coming across the SLE local, hope they still have it!

J

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I Googled the VIN and got a few responses.

Google cache of ebay Canada auction

In French (eh!) but from what I can tell, it was bid up to $26,800 US last month and did not sell.

$29K seems like a lot for a 2007 model, although it is a loaded AWD.

I ran it on Edmunds using your Zip and got a dealer retail value of $28,815. I had to guess at some of the options- based on their listing it has nav/rear DVD.

One thing this does not take into account is the tight economy. If your area is experiencing a slowdown like most, this works in your favor so far as the price.

Being a 2007 model, you want to be sure the transmission flash (update) was done, and that the sunroofs have not leaked- usually detectable by a musty odor inside, and you can pull up the carpet under the dash area to see if there are signs of it leaking. One other possibility would be to have them run it through a car wash while you are testing it to see if they leak.

Figuring the VIN is OK via a history check and also via the GM system (see my post above, Geo is really helpful), I'd start out with an offer of $26K for it and then negotiate the trade from there.

I would think they still have it- the car market in general is pretty bad- used ones are no exception from what I'm seeing. Some "individual" on ebay is trying to sell a used stripped (limited options base model) 2009 Challenger for more than you can buy a new one. Seeing as how the new ones are not selling (check ebay for completed auctions), what are the odds this one will?

One other thing to consider is what you actually need vs want in a vehicle. If you can "get by" with the equipment/options on a FWD SLE, you can buy one of these new for about the same price or probably less than the referenced 2007 model. If you need AWD the cost will increase. If there is an option you need that is not offered on the SLE, then you have to step up to one of the SLT models, and are looking at a few thousand more per trim level.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Blue,

Wow you are super helpful! Thanks for taking the time to look that up for me. Also, thanks for all the pointers. Given all the info to consider I will prob pass this one up. Would be horrible to drive 14hrs (one way) just to find water damage and/or moldy carpet.

As far as the market is concerned I couldn't agree more. I cannot overspend on this, especially with the condition GM is in. Who knows what rebates they are going to throw out just to sell some vehicles by the end of the year.....

I am in the mindset that if I can get the options I want them, especially if it is only a little more.

Again, THANKS!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Congrats on becoming an owner. Don't forget to update your info here for when you do contribute.

Enjoy the ride. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts