GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the new Acadia came out, it was down on max towing (4000 lbs) compared to the long versions of the same C1XX platform, namely the Enclave and Traverse (4500 lbs).
Since they shared platforms and power trains (very similar at least) I figured it was because of weight, or in other words, chassis strength.

I just stumbled upon the new Blazers towing ability and was puzzled to see its 4500 lb rating. It’s also a “short” C1XX.

Anyone here have inside knowledge on the details that would explain the discrepancy? I definitely expected the Blazer to be rated the same as the Acadia in towing. It’s disappointing since GMC is supposed to be “professional grade”.

·
Super Moderator
19,260 Posts
You should look at towing information in Acadia manuals through the years. In 2007, the Acadia was rated at 4500 lbs, with no mention at all of tow package equipment. Later years, towing equipment was added as was a change in 'max weight' rating with or without it. Some are rated at 5000 lbs w/ tow package, while some are rated 5200 lbs similarly equipped, with no major change at all to basic running gear. It seems manual spec is just a ballpark figure within some engineering safety envelope. Also, you lose 2 passengers in the Blazer without a third-row seat - could be 2 of your 250 lb. friends. That might have something to do with additional 'max weight' rating for the trailer.

BTW, "Professional Grade" is just a sales catch-phrase - kind of like Chrysler's, "If you can find a better car, buy it."

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
The new Blazer is meant to compete with the Lexus RX. I doubt either is actually used for towing.

As Speleos said, "professional grade" is marketing hype from the same folks that convince folks there is something special about Denali trim.

·
Registered
805 Posts
IT says . . "Professional Grade " and I'm sticking with that. . . ! (y)
AS far as towing capacity goes. . . no matter what consumer grade car, van, minivan, truck or SUV I've owned . . . I never would go up to max towing weight. The only exceptions were things like hauling home project building supplies for only short distances.
Otherwise, I would try and stay at no more than 75% to 80% of stated towing weight and usually less.

·
Super Moderator
19,260 Posts
What's really interesting is that m.y. 2020 Blazer's gross combined weight rating (GCWR) is 9250 lbs. vs the Acadia's 8984 lbs. (3.6L AWD w/towing package). That's only a difference of 266 lbs., or just one hefty passenger.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

Yes, I know marketing slogans are just that. Silverados are Sierras. Etc.

I agree that the potential additional weight for passengers in an Acadia could play a role. On the other hand, if more passengers on the same platform = less towing capacity, then the Enclave and Traverse would be at a disadvantage as well with seating for 7-8.

Speleos - that’s great insight. And it just makes me scratch my head even more. I feel like either the Acadia was handicapped unnecessarily and should be 4500 or someone decided to be “liberal” with the Blazer. And with safety culture, I doubt the latter.

We’d need some input from GM engineering I guess.

·
Super Moderator
19,260 Posts
I just found this on the 'net and thought I'd add to the confusion. The article's a bit dated, but the principles may still apply: The Numbers Game: How Truck Makers Determine Towin Capacity. It appears aerodynamics may come into play when all things mechanical are equal - consumer attitude, too.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Another thing might be the stock tires on Blazer verses Acadia. Not sure what they are but tire load range plus only 5 seats in Blazer might also be at play.

·
Super Moderator
19,260 Posts
Too many factory options in tire/wheel combos on both makes for that to be much of a factor.

·
Super Moderator
19,260 Posts
Load range of a tire has more to do with axle load bearing (both front and rear) than it does with trailer weight.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Agree . . but also figures in to GVW potential. Also, trailer tongue weight, etc.
Factors are many.

·
Registered
433 Posts
2 people extra in the Acadia is 400+/- pounds (they probably have to account for larger than average so 500#). I would bet that is it. They have to be rated on maximum towing capacity assuming all seats filled I would think. Blazer = 5, Acadia = 7

·
Registered
805 Posts
2 people extra in the Acadia is 400+/- pounds (they probably have to account for larger than average so 500#). I would bet that is it. They have to be rated on maximum towing capacity assuming all seats filled I would think. Blazer = 5, Acadia = 7
Agree . .that was my first assessment.

·
Super Moderator
19,260 Posts
If you put 7 heavy-weight people in the Acadia, you would decrease the max trailer weight significantly. Same thing would happen to the Blazer with a full load (5) of the same people. Keyword here is "combined" in determining the GCWR. Max trailer weight in the book is determined with one person (the driver) and a full load of fuel, with no luggage or passengers on board.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Maybe gas tank capacity is different? Maybe spring rate is different. . . many factors.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts