GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a signed deal, and they call me like 5 hours later telling me its going to be $500 more to ship the car than they thought and wanted me to pay it. I was there when they called to get the freight quote originally and I knew exactly what the cost they were quoted was. I told them sales manager I wouldn't pay it and he said he was already eating half of it, oh well cancel my contact then.

Of couse when I go to the dealer to get my deposit back, they make a big deal and try to tell me they will eat the $500, at this point, I was to mad to care, I won't do business with a company that plays with the numbers on a compelted deal. I was also begining to doubt they were going to be able to get me what I wanted as how long it was going to take to get it went from a few days to 7 days, to a week or two in the matter of a few hours.

Oh well... back to looking..

·
Registered
49 Posts
Smart of you to stick to your guns. I can almost guarantee if you gave in, you'd be getting more phone calls with additional costs they just failed to anticipate, in the future. Plenty of other dealers out there, find one and hammer out your deal. Your persistence will pay off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have to say that I'm feeling agreement right at this moment. I had a good deal on paper last night when I walked out of the dealership on a car that I have been waiting for since December/Jan. He quoted me a price on the SLT1 that was under invoice, and also quoted the lease with a trade as another option too. We talked about it after sleeping on it and had some questions about how our payment might vary if we changed the trade or added more down. To make a long story short, they retracted the offers they made saying that the price they quoted was only good if I didn't trade, and if I did trade they would give me 1000 less on the trade than what they told me they'd give me. This was NOT what they said last night, nor what I had on paper. I was sooo mad, so I told them that we weren't negoit. anymore, that all of it had happened last night. The price of the car was set, the price of the trade was set. It was so dishonest and infuriating. Then they tried to offer me a lease payment of about 30-40 dollars more than what it should be if I wanted the full amount they offered on the trade originally. (Do I look stupid??) Then it was, ok, but we have to look at your trade....and I'm thinking yeah, and at that point you'll decide that it's not worth as much as you originally quoted, oops. Again, am I wearing the stupid hat? I know the weekend is coming and he was thinking, hmmm...I can unload this car this weekend and make a larger profit. I was so mad, I called back and told him that I'll be at the dealership to sign on the deal that I have on paper from him. No changes. I won't do the trade and will sell my car outright at a huge discount under KBB and still profit over what they were going to give me. AND I'll take that Acadia at the price they quoted me under invoice. IF ANYTHING goes wrong tomorrow, and they start jacking me around, I will be contacting the AG, the local paper, anyone who will listen. Can they really give you a price on paper with all the details and tell you they will hold the car until I decide since I ordered in 5 mos ago and then pull this less than 24 hours later?? UGH!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I went through much of the same when trying to buy a Saturn Outlook and I just walked away, setting my sights on an Acadia. With the dealer holdback that they get from GM, financing incentive rebates they get from the lenders or gmac and possible other rebates from GM, they are still making plenty. Also, if they bring out the invoice price and show it to you, it's not their true cost. Not even close. MY GMC dealer has been turned down 3 times on dealer trades trying to come up with a vehicle for me. The other dealers won't let them go. Probably the piece of paper you have with the price quote on it isn't worth much since it's just a proposal and not a binding contract. If they don't come thru for you, just move on. When the Acadia's are stacking up this summer on the lots, the deals will come back to the buyer's side. No wonder Toyota is kicking GM's butt. With a vehicle this new, demand is high and you're dealer is just trying to squeeze ever last nickel out of you thinking that you'll cave in. Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I totally agree regarding the "SOB" dealerships (I won't say all, but probably most). They are out the there to squeeze that last nickel out of the deal. We had our Acadia on order (took 7 weeks to get here). We had agreed to (I thought) a price on the trade-in at $2,000 (any where from $150-$450 under various estimates). I wasn't going to jerk them around for the extra few bucks and make this a nice easy deal. :)Of course when the Acadia gets here, all of a sudden, we have a problem with the trade-in. ??? Salesman says Boss will only give $1,000 but he talked him up to $1,500. I got, ticked off, (they had to think that since we waited 7 weeks we wouldn't walk away). :-X Of course, the salesman did the "I have to talk to my boss" schtik. I told my wife he would come back at $1,800 (which he did 5 minutes later). I told them to get out their screw driver :angryfire: and put the plates back on the trade-in. They made a big deal about it, and came up to the $2,000. What should have been a fun 1 hour to pick up the new Acadia turned into a 2+ hour jerking me around getting me PO'd. :angryfire:

·
Registered
16 Posts
But then there are some car salesmen/dealers that are good (although I admit I've run into more obnoxious ones.)

Case in point when I bought my 1997 GMC Sierra pickup. I did the autobynet thing and the participating dealer (across the state) called me. I told him exactly what I wanted and we came up with a sale price that was just around the invoice price - no real haggling. He faxed me the details and then I talked with the local dealer that said he couldn't touch that. Anyways, I mailed a deposit and 8 weeks later, he called to say my truck came in. I drove across the state, met the guy for the first time, and I was out of there in 25 minutes (this included a test drive around the block). Other factors that might have affected the transaction was that I did not have a trade in and it was a cash deal (I don't like car payments).

·
Registered
284 Posts
prcarp said:
But then there are some car salesmen/dealers that are good (although I admit I've run into more obnoxious ones.)

Case in point when I bought my 1997 GMC Sierra pickup. I did the autobynet thing and the participating dealer (across the state) called me. I told him exactly what I wanted and we came up with a sale price that was just around the invoice price - no real haggling. He faxed me the details and then I talked with the local dealer that said he couldn't touch that. Anyways, I mailed a deposit and 8 weeks later, he called to say my truck came in. I drove across the state, met the guy for the first time, and I was out of there in 25 minutes (this included a test drive around the block). Other factors that might have affected the transaction was that I did not have a trade in and it was a cash deal (I don't like car payments).
Agreed, really, for as many questionable dealers and salespeople, there are as many good ones out there, you just have to know them or find them. And that's always been the case with us, as it's been a 50/50 split between those that made it hard and those where it was a pleasure.

·
Registered
123 Posts
cmg27 said:
So I had a signed deal, and they call me like 5 hours later telling me its going to be $500 more to ship the car than they thought and wanted me to pay it. I was there when they called to get the freight quote originally and I knew exactly what the cost they were quoted was. I told them sales manager I wouldn't pay it and he said he was already eating half of it, oh well cancel my contact then.

Of couse when I go to the dealer to get my deposit back, they make a big deal and try to tell me they will eat the $500, at this point, I was to mad to care, I won't do business with a company that plays with the numbers on a compelted deal. I was also begining to doubt they were going to be able to get me what I wanted as how long it was going to take to get it went from a few days to 7 days, to a week or two in the matter of a few hours.

Oh well... back to looking..
YES, CAR DEALERS ARE THE PITS >:D. THEY THINK EVERYONE THAT COMES THROUGH THEIR DOORS DON'T KNOW THE TRICKS OF THE TRADE. UNREAL WHAT THEY WILL TRY TO DO TO THE CONSUMER. THE FACT IS THEY NEED US, WE DONT NEED THEM....WE DONT BUY THEY DONT WORK AND THEY NEED TO TRY AND HELP THE CONSUMER MORE RATHER THAN BEING SO GREEDY. :sosad:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had the worst car buying experience last night EVER.

After waiting 14 weeks for my Acadia to come in I go to the dealership to pick it up and all of a sudden they bring me a NEW order sheet based on the MSRP and NOT the price we negotiated. I noticed this right away and brought it up and asked for the original sheet with the price we agreed on. I said "okay, great. No problem All I want to do is now take off the Conquest bonus from that price and we're all good." At this point they made a big deal about it and said no. I was infuriated beyond belief. I was amazed that they think they could keep something from me that doesn't even come out of their pockets. AT this point the sales manager wouldn't even talk to me and just walked away like a baby. Then I sat there and dealt with the salesman for an hour telling him he is insane. He claims that the original sales manager that I dealt with, which is no longer there, got fired because of my deal and the price he gave me, and that they were losing money on the car and they can no longer honor this price. I am a very calm person and it talks a lot to get me mad like this but they pissed me off so much at one point I didn't recognize myself. I did not wait 14 weeks to be jerked around like and have to pay for what one of their managers did. I can't even tell you how much I wanted to slam the salesmans face into his own desk. Stupid punk kid!!!!!

So after getting no where with this kid I said "I'm done talking to you. Bring me your GM." She comes out after they get together (of course) and asks me what going on. (like she doesn't know) She was much better about dealing with my situation and understanding where I was coming from. We FINALLY agree to terms after about 30 minutes of talking, but not before I told her how I felt about her salesman and what an idiot he was. I'm glad my wife was out of town and did not go with me because she would seen a side of me she had never seen before. No joking. When we signed off on the agreement she BEGGED me not to slam her/them in the survey because this adversly affects them directly. I said I wouldn't but who knows.

If you can't tell I'm still a little fired up about it and have not been able to fully enjoy the vehicle because of this. Hopefully after a few beers this afternoon I will be calmed down.

The last time I was almost this pissed is when USC lost to UT in the Rose Bowl.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
nikodyn said:
How could you mad about that? That was an instant classic and will live on forever!! :angel:

·
Registered
468 Posts
I'd rip 'em a new one in the survey.

·
Registered
37 Posts
mckcab said:
nikodyn said:
How could you mad about that? That was an instant classic and will live on forever!! :angel:
Say somebody from Sienna, Texas.

It may be a classic but I can guarantee you that I will never watch it again.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Seems to me that we generally have more volatile stories and experiences on the sales end of our Acadia than with the vehicle. Sure wish GMC would invest as much with their sales force as they are with the GREAT attention and customer service that their staff are giving us on this website.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You are so right. I have such a bad taste in my mouth right now because of this whole experience, I am still having hard enjoying this awesome vehicle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had basically the same thing happen to me when trying to buy an Outlook back in March. Everytime I turned around the price changed or an accessory that I wanted went up in price. I ended up just walking away and started looking for an Acadia. My dealer didn't have the Acadia I wanted and we couldn't find a dealer that would do a trade. I tried to order a 2007 and was shot down again, April 16. They stopped taking orders so they could finish what they had before switching to the 2008's. If I ordered a 2008 Acadia, I might not have seen it until August. Again I switched and ordered a 2008 Enclave on April 20th. Hopefully I will have it by mid to late June. I have been trying to buy something since March 8. Two plus month's later, I still have nothing. The funny thing is that GM keeps sending me e-mails asking why I haven't used my "supplier Discount" number yet. If I was you, I wouldn't cut them any slack. It's still the same ole car buying game it's been for years, if your fair game, so are they. Put it to em!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
zman said:
I'd rip 'em a new one in the survey.
Yep, throw them under the bus on the survey. They deserve nothing less.

·
Registered
37 Posts
After talking to the finance guy, which was cool, he was telling me that that particular dealership was considered like a Silver to GMAC ratings as far as volume goes. (other than Platinum, Gold, etc....) I told him after todays experience I can understand why. Sales reflect your volume and good sales people reflect a higher volume. Obviously not the case here.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Last month my wife and I decided to get her the new 2007 Toyota Camry she had been dreaming about and after screwing around with the local idiot dealerships we decided to buy it from Carmax in Kenosha Wisconsin. Carmax has 2 new car outlets in the US that sells Toyota and Chevy. One is on the east coast and luckily, one of them is within 100 miles of me. This was the most enjoyable car buying experience that I have ever encountered in my 55+ years. The price was fixed at $270.00 below invoice, period. No haggling, no extras, no hard sell, just the advertised price. They did politely offer the $1200.00 extended warranty for $950.00 and when I said not at this time, he said no problem all I have to do is call him and the price is good at any time before the factory warranty was up. They even put the car we wanted on 48hr hold until we could go up there on a Saturday. We had the option of changing to a different car once there but he wanted to at least make sure our initial choice didn't get sold since we were making the 100 mile trip. The sales rep came in to meet us on his day off. They had us get our 2004 Volvo S60 appraised at a local Carmax branch and would honor the written appraisal for 7 days. To my complete and total surprise, they offered us high Kelly Blue Book because the car was still under factory warranty. We did not expect this because how often does a dealer offer anywhere near blue book without a lot of hassle? The KBB ranged from $16,700 to $18,900 based on condition and miles and they gave us $18,500 even. I was so impressed with this way of doing business that I just can't find enough good things to say about the Carmax new car sales concept. I would be back there in a heartbeat if they sold GMC products. They do sell Chevy but don't have a deal with GMC yet. It really was an absolutely outstanding process and as good or better than any other deal I have made in my car buying life and there was no (0) effort, grief or stress of any kind involved. The car buyers dream come true.

·
Registered
405 Posts
whats funny is i LOVE shopping for cars. I love going to the dealer seeing all the new fancy cars that i can test drive. Then saying i bought one just makes it better. I sometimes act intrested just to test drive a car, Did it to test drive a dodge charger srt8 and also a hummer h2. Now i had no intenstion of buying them but the dealer didn't know that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts