GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to All,

I need to install a trailer hitch on my 2008 Acadia. Unfortunately a was shortsighted when purchasing the Acadia and did not get one with the trailering package. To that end, I need to know from experience out there, who makes the best aftermarket hitch to install on my Acadia. I know Hidden Hitch and Reese make ones, but what I need to know how do each one of these look once installed, etc. I am looking to have it as least exposed as possible when not in use. Are there others out there too?

I will be using this almost exclusively for mounting bikes with a Thule or Yakima rack system. Any advice and/or help would be greatly appreciated from others that had to install one aftermarket.

Thank you very much and I look forward to your help!

·
Registered
912 Posts
We have a hidden hitch on our 98 Mlibu and other than teh reciever cover you do not even see the hitch we had a U Haul one installed on our Montana and all you see is the hitch. I would go with a Hidden Hitch personally from my own experiance.

·
Registered
428 Posts
After buying an aftermarket and installing it on my Acadia, I ended up buying the factory hitch from the dealer and changing them out. The aftermarket I bought made a lot of noise as it didnt use all the mounting holes the factory one did, 6 holes for the aftermarket versus 8 for the factory. The factory also has the bracket for the wiring receptacle to fit into as well and looks much better. The factory hitch was well worth the 40 extra dollars.

·
Registered
427 Posts
dfrank78 said:
After buying an aftermarket and installing it on my Acadia, I ended up buying the factory hitch from the dealer and changing them out. The aftermarket I bought made a lot of noise as it didnt use all the mounting holes the factory one did, 6 holes for the aftermarket versus 8 for the factory. The factory also has the bracket for the wiring receptacle to fit into as well and looks much better. The factory hitch was well worth the 40 extra dollars.
How much was the factory hitch all told?

·
Registered
428 Posts
I think the factory hitch was around 150.00. Its been about a year so I am not exactly sure.

·
Registered
156 Posts
dfrank78 said:
humm, I have a Draw-Tite and your right, it only uses 6 holes....where are the other two? Mine has two right at the hitch sort of right under the bumper. Then it has two on each end under the muffler/resonator thing...where are the other two on the factory hitch?

·
Registered
428 Posts
There are two more holes under that Acadia at the ends of the hitch higher up than the other holes. The factory hitch has ears on the ends that bolt up into the higher holes. Since the hitch bolts to the body of the car and not to a frame I felt more comfortable having the extra bolts than with the usual 6. I would worry with only six bolts into the body if the hitch would cause damage down the road if you tow heavy loads. It may not be a big deal but then again it might.......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.