GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What were you looking for when your purchased the Acadia or are considering it? From most of the reviews and write-ups, I get a sense that this vehicle is being marketed for large families and for those who need to transport people/kids.

Is there anyone here who is purchasing the Acadia primarily as a commuter vehicle or who have a small family? If so, how is the Acadia working for you?

·
Registered
542 Posts
My profile- Early 40s, one 2 year old and planning on kiddo number 2 next year. I currently drive a 2 door car which is spacious but kid is still kicking my seats. Wife drives a 4 door Mazda but with the kid and all my wife's crap the car is pretty cramped. Cannot imagine 2 kids in there. Again, kids kicking the seats there too. Need a new car soon as my current GM product has 220,000 miles on it. Decided to go SUV route for easier access that is higher off the ground. Looked for extra space too. Most of the SUVs out there are too small. With rear seats up, there is no room for groceries or strollers in the back (Pontiac, Chevy, Lexus, Ford). Grudgingly looked for a bigger vehicle. To be honest, I think we are the quinisential mini van market buyer. Both of us hate vans. My research led me to the Acadia months before it was even in production. I cannot see anything that fits better other than maybe the MDX but I do not want to pay that much and frankly am not that impressed with it either.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I purchased my Acadia as an alternative to the 2002 GMC Sierra Denali. The gas mileage alone will save me a considerable amount over the course of a year. I needed towing ability as well as the comfort of transporting family and gear. The fact that I can put a sheet of drywall in the back was a big sales point. I also wanted the interior comfort that came with the Denali line, and the SLT-2 that I have gives me that. My wife and I have one three year old and are in the process of trying to add to the family, so the extra room that the Acadia offers was a real plus. This vehicle is also my daily driver, but not I am not a commuter.

We were also attracted to the additional technology that was not available at the time I purchased the Sierra in 02, so that was also a big motivator, though not specific to the Acadia.

·
Registered
403 Posts
36 years old, twin girls who are four, wanted something that can pull snowmobiles six times a year and would be reasonable in the woods getting to camp (AWD). Gas milage a plus compared to a new Yukon and about $5000 less for similar options. The Envoy just didn't do it for me. Fold down rear seat a bonus over the Yukon with a family and friends. I like the rear storage, feel of the driver's compartment, handling, etc. Side curtain airbags standard, $350 option on Yukon. It's all good...once I got over my "Big SUV" feelings. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I have two kids and the Acadia is a commuter car for my son and myself. (He goes to a private school and I teach there as well.) If I had my wishes, I would drive a manual convertable, but until the kids go to college.... I have always had a five speed sedan since I refuse to drive a mini van. The down side to the Acadia is now my teenager wants to sit in the back and play games and I miss that "talking" time.

I spend about 1-2 hours a day driving. The Acadia gets about the same MPG as my Volvo but is much more comfortable, and has a much better stereo system. If we hadn't seen the Acadia at the auto show, I would be driving a Mercedes or a BMW sedan (whichever I could order with a manual tranny!!) and paying some one to tow the horse.

Is that what you wanted to know?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Early 30's, 2 children ages 5 and 8. Currently own a 2 door Grand Prix and 2 door Tahoe (both with over 180k miles!). We pulled into the dealership set to purchase a new Grand Prix and saw the Acadia for the first time. Love at first site! :wine: My husband and I took it for a test drive and were so excited about the room, the ride, etc that we were set. He would prefer another Tahoe, but personally I get tired of the feeling that all that truck is behind me. I feel more comfortable in the Acadia.

The Acadia will be used as a commuter vehicle primarily, but the biggest selling points were the mileage compared to the Tahoe, the better ride, and the ability to haul almost anything (including a few extra people). As my husband says, now that I've seen the acadia I wouldn't be happy with "just a car". :D

·
Registered
542 Posts
Is it just me or does it seem like there is a weirdly high ratio of people switching from Pontaic Grand Prixs to Acadias? (I have 97 GTP). Maybe we are all in the same age range. Perhaps we will all be buying Buicks together when we reach 65.

·
Registered
35 Posts
We have 2 young kids, so the Acadia is almost perfect (I say almost because it's actually almost too large for just 2 kids).

I would probably never buy an Acadia if I didn't have kids, since I don't need a SUV to tow a boat or anything--I'd probably stick to a nice sporty sedan or something.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm from the older generation. Between my wife and I we have 3 elderly parents around 90 years old. We needed the extra seating. My Infinity FX was not made for 3 in the back seat, neither were 2 other vehicles we were looking at, the Acura MDX and the Lexus RX350.

Everyone loves the Acadia, its a comfort factor.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I will be moving to an Acadia early next year. I was considering a Yukon, but the Acadia
has better fuel economy, the same or better cargo space and will be easier for my parents
to get in and out of, as they are both in their late 70's. The deciding factor was the ease
of getting into the 3rd row, plus the amount of cargo space even with the 3rd row up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The wife and I are both 35 dont have any kids of our own and currently have a 04 envoy, we are getting the Acadia for mostly commuting and the rare occasion that we go somewhere with all our friends. We will be ordering ours in a couple weeks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like most purchasers here have large families (young and elder) to drive around. Not too surprising given how the Acadia is designed and marketed.

My wife is interested in the Acadia to replace her 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, primarily as a commute car and some weekend trips. We have only one child (14 years-old and already talking about getting a car in two years! ::) )

·
Registered
119 Posts
54 yrs young with a 51yr young wife of 26.5 yrs. no kids, one 13 yr ole yellow lab and a bag of sticks (golf clubs)

I could afford any cuv made and drove most of them and the Acadia got the nod. It was all about me this time. I've been thru the pickups, grand cherokees(2), minivan, and a small car or 12 and this time I wanted PLENTY of room for me. The Acadia provided this along with decent mpg ratings and hopefully the GMC vehicle reliability of my generation(we'll see). I's my everyday driver and our roadtrip vehicle. :thumb:

Happy so far........except for the door unlock feature. :mope:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Keith said:
Is it just me or does it seem like there is a weirdly high ratio of people switching from Pontaic Grand Prixs to Acadias? (I have 97 GTP). Maybe we are all in the same age range. Perhaps we will all be buying Buicks together when we reach 65.
That IS weird! I too have been driving a '99 GTP for eight years now...time for a change. The Acadia and Enclave are the only new vehicles in those eight years to get me excited about buying a new car again. I need a more functional vehicle like this and I'd like to have a warranty again too. Once I can see an actual Enclave on the road, I'll make my final decision...can't wait! :blob:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hmmm, I'm replacing a 99 Grand Prix GT with an Acadia. Two kids, 9 and 7. Wanted the extra room for packing camping supplies and trips to the beach (my wife tends to overpack) and the ability to take the kids' friends or the outlaws along from time to time.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Michael Mohrmann said:
Sounds like most purchasers here have large families (young and elder) to drive around. Not too surprising given how the Acadia is designed and marketed.
I'm 35 with only one kid and a dog that has not been in the Acadia yet (Dog not kid). I had a Malibu Maxx and wanted something bigger. I also love being an early adopter so this experience has been great.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Wife and I ,both 33. 1 yr old son and a 4 yr old Pug.

Had 2 Envoys (SLT and Denali) before this. Liked the GMC brand and reliability.

I use it as a commuter vehicle to work(10 miles each way). Also use it on the weekends for Target, HD, BJ runs. LOL!!

Wanted a 7 passenger b/c we do a lot with our extended family and it is nice to have the extra seats when necessary.

Plus,I like new toys and gadgets and let's face it...this CUV is EN FEUGO!!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
38 with two boys (16 and 10). One small dog. My wife wanted more passenger seating than what her Honda Element was willing to handle. She didn't want to go back to something as big as our Suburban.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Cravenfan said:
...wanted something that can pull snowmobiles six times a year and would be reasonable in the woods getting to camp (AWD)...
Sounds fun! Makes me miss the north.

Reason for Acadia: two young kids and wanted a 'functional' third row. Really liked the Tahoe, but the Acadia just had too many things going for it - Gas mileage, better third row, handling, cargo space.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts