GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have been a member here since Jan. 31st of 2008 (the day I purchased my 08' charcoal AWD) and have taken in a great wealth of knowledge in regards to our new Acadias, but I still cannot find any rock solid guidance on whats required to use trailering lights on 2008's!

Moderators: I know you will probably tell me to search, but I have already done that for months and months, (Wish the search results on this forum could be sorted by date) and STILL havent found someone who says it definately works and HOW EXACTLY they accomplished this.

I would like to help my dealership figure it out because they dont have answers without upgrading the fuse block! I explained that when they found my vehicle for me, and it had EVERY option I wanted except for the trailering, that the salesman told me it won't be a problem if I purchased the vehicle. ( This was very shortly after 2008's were released, and I ACTUALLY honestly believe they figured it would be the same as the 2007's as they send all of their hitch add-ons next door to the U-Haul dealer whom I spoke with, and they verified they've done alot of Acadias, but only 2007's and they say they can do it to my 2008, but with all of the posts in regards to voltage problems and etc..etc.., I'm skeptical. Well all I can get out of the regional GMC rep., is some GMC protection plan for free if I pay to have the fuse block upgraded.) I also advised them that people on this site are getting it accomplished in other ways than upgrading fuse blocks, and they told me to find out HOW and they will help me out here. It simply AMAZES me that they dont have any answers as they are a giant GMC / Pontiac dealer and service center here in the Pittsburgh area (Bowser GMC @ www.powerofbowser.com ) , and unfortunately other dealers don't want to get too deep into it with me since I didnt purchase it from them Thats not enough, I want working trailer lighting!

PLEASE advise me with a gameplan if you know how we are getting this accomplished.. THANK YOU in advance.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm with you, I've read all the post seen a couple of people with a solution, but I don't really know if their solution worked in the long run! Would like to see a guide on how to do lights without paying GM to install a fuse box. Or how to install the fuse box myself?

·
Registered
104 Posts
The fuse block is actually easy to replace. I've got an 07 and the hardest part was getting all the hold down clips to release to lift it out. I used several flat blade screwdrivers and popped it out. Then loosen the phillips head screws holding the connectors in place and remove. Then reconnect the connectors and set the panel back in place. I know the service manager at my dealer pretty well, so I got the new fuse panel for $153.00. I figure it's worth that, because now I have plenty of spare fuses and relays (just in case). I then replace the harness assembly in the rear with all the wires and now have everything I need at the trailer connector. The only thing I haven't done is move the backup lights wire at the BCM, but I really don't need that.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=478.0

Looks to me like they replaced the fuse block with a V92 Block

The V92 option code is: TRAILERING PACKAGE: *COOLING SYSTEM - HEAVY DUTY * TRAILER HITCH

Maybe you have read this post, but it sounds like you could have that V92 coded fuse block installed

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JLF said:
The fuse block is actually easy to replace. I've got an 07 and the hardest part was getting all the hold down clips to release to lift it out. I used several flat blade screwdrivers and popped it out. Then loosen the phillips head screws holding the connectors in place and remove. Then reconnect the connectors and set the panel back in place. I know the service manager at my dealer pretty well, so I got the new fuse panel for $153.00. I figure it's worth that, because now I have plenty of spare fuses and relays (just in case). I then replace the harness assembly in the rear with all the wires and now have everything I need at the trailer connector. The only thing I haven't done is move the backup lights wire at the BCM, but I really don't need that.
NICE! You must be in good standing with the service manager! My dealer along with a few others I checked price on for parts , want over $500 just for the V92 block (no labor). I cant remember the actual amount, because I could only see red[/color] when I heard the price started with a "Five-hundred". :angryfire:

If no other answers from anyone else here, maybe I'll call GM and open a dispute to try to at least have the dealer give me that part at cost (which I'm assuming is the $153.00 you paid). Im pretty good with working on cars, as my last install was HID's on the Acadia, so I'm not intimidated to replace the part... its just the $$$$$$[/color] situation.

What do you mean when you say "I then replace the harness assembly in the rear with all the wires" ?

Thanks in advance! (And congrats!) :thumb:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jsimms said:

The V92 option code is: TRAILERING PACKAGE: *COOLING SYSTEM - HEAVY DUTY * TRAILER HITCH

Maybe you have read this post, but it sounds like you could have that V92 coded fuse block installed
JSIMMS - Thank You.. yes, it is the V92, but dealer wants crazy money for this part. This IS the first vehicle that I have EVER heard of that when not ordered with a trailering package, cannot have a plug-and-play "T-Connector" wiring harness installed because the JUNKY fuse box isn't prepared for this. SUCH AN OVERSIGHT GMC!!!! ??? ---> It can't seriously cost much more than a few dollars to have that circuit installed in the fuse block from the factory.

Heck, 10 years ago I installed a "T-Connector" wiring harness when I added a hidden hitch on my MUSTANG to pull my personal watercraft around! ( Does anyone really think a Mustang should be more readily equipped than an Acadia to pull a trailer??)

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
captain105 said:
jsimms said:

JSIMMS - Thank You.. yes, it is the V92, but dealer wants crazy money for this part. This IS the first vehicle that I have EVER heard of that when not ordered with a trailering package, cannot have a plug-and-play "T-Connector" wiring harness installed because the JUNKY fuse box isn't prepared for this. SUCH AN OVERSIGHT GMC!!!! ??? ---> It can't seriously cost much more than a few dollars to have that circuit installed in the fuse block from the factory.

Heck, 10 years ago I installed a "T-Connector" wiring harness when I added a hidden hitch on my MUSTANG to pull my personal watercraft around! ( Does anyone really think a Mustang should be more readily equipped than an Acadia to pull a trailer??)
I hear your frustration Captain, but remember 10 years ago vehicles weren't even half as power intensive as today's vehicles. I agree with the oversight; sounds like someone at GM maybe dropped the ball on this one. Good luck is all I can say and possibly you might be able to find one at a You Pull It (junk yard). There must be some wrecked Acadia's out there somewhere :'(

·
Registered
428 Posts
I had mine replaced by the dealer after the same crap you got, the dealer told me it was no big deal to add it. I complained enought that my service manager got the gm rep to goodwill half of the cost of replacing it, you might want to try that, that way the work they do is warrantied

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I have not looked into trailer wiring and you guys obviously have. Replacing a fuse box and running wiring to the rear of the vehicle sounds like major surgery to me. From what is being said here:
1) The non-V92 vehicles lamp wiring is insufficient to power another two bulbs on the trailer (stop/turn/tail).
2) An 1157 (stop/turn/tail) dual filament bulb draws 23 or so watts on high load (stop/turn) @ 12V, this is 1.91 amps per bulb or 3.82 amps in addition on the circuit.
3) Would a 5 watt LED 1157 bulb be an alternative? This would reduce the amps down to .416 per bulb or .83 amps total, which I think would be sustainable with the existing wiring.

I've done engine wiring with a few 1998 GM Camaro/Firebird harnesses, and it amazes me how small the power feed wires are for them, usually 16-18-20 gauge. I'm used to running 10 gauge or better for the fans and other high draw stuff I add on. I know the quality of the wire has a lot to do with the rating, as factory wiring is usually much better than what you buy at a parts house. I get all mine from a place called JM Products, they only sell good stuff (SXL/GXL automotive rated wire) and at a very reasonable price per foot.

Hopefully this may help to avoid some major rewiring and headaches!

·
Registered
104 Posts
captain105 said:
JLF said:
NICE! You must be in good standing with the service manager! My dealer along with a few others I checked price on for parts , want over $500 just for the V92 block (no labor). I cant remember the actual amount, because I could only see red[/color] when I heard the price started with a "Five-hundred". :angryfire:

If no other answers from anyone else here, maybe I'll call GM and open a dispute to try to at least have the dealer give me that part at cost (which I'm assuming is the $153.00 you paid). Im pretty good with working on cars, as my last install was HID's on the Acadia, so I'm not intimidated to replace the part... its just the $$$$$$[/color] situation.

What do you mean when you say "I then replace the harness assembly in the rear with all the wires" ?

Thanks in advance! (And congrats!) :thumb:
The harness assembly that came on my 07 only had 4 wires in it (or there abouts). I replaced it with the harness that comes when you get the trailering package. All the wiring from the fuse block to just behind the right rear tire is already there. Just need the fuse block for the front and the harness for the rear.

And yes I am in good standing with the service manager. I've known him for about 12 years and we also drag raced together.

·
Registered
428 Posts
The factory wiring to the rear of the vehicle exists whether you have the trailering package or not. The new fuse block just energizes the wiring. Now you do have to buy the wiring pigtail that plugs in under the passenger side fender well and runs to the 7 wire round plug for the lighting. There are more than one discussions of this issue that cover this pretty extensively on this forum. If you have any questions send me a PM and I will be glad to answer any of your questions you have. I had my SLE fuseblock updated to the V92 after trying to splice into the tail lights , you cant do that with the LED lights, the lights fail prematurely due to the voltage loss from the trailer lighting.

·
Registered
26 Posts
dfrank78 said:
The factory wiring to the rear of the vehicle exists whether you have the trailering package or not. The new fuse block just energizes the wiring. Now you do have to buy the wiring pigtail that plugs in under the passenger side fender well and runs to the 7 wire round plug for the lighting. There are more than one discussions of this issue that cover this pretty extensively on this forum. If you have any questions send me a PM and I will be glad to answer any of your questions you have. I had my SLE fuseblock updated to the V92 after trying to splice into the tail lights , you cant do that with the LED lights, the lights fail prematurely due to the voltage loss from the trailer lighting.
Great Info !
I have allready installed the hitch, hitch cover and the rear harness.
Anyone know the part number for the fuse panel ?
2009 SLE

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
bonk1313 said:
Check this link, i think the part number is in this post. Verify before ordering though
http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=1078.msg21728#msg21728
Thanks.
I guess I have to pull the original fuse box out and check the part number on it.
Seems there are 3 different numbers for the updated towing boxes - that each replace 3 different non towing package boxes.
hummm??

Part Number Description
25784721 Underhood Bussed Electrical Center
(replaces 25784722)
25784723 Underhood Bussed Electrical Center
(replaces 25784726)
25784725 Underhood Bussed Electrical Center (replaces 25784724)
Warranty Information

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I have this aftermarket wiring harness on the way. I spent a bit of time on the phone with them and I think the Acadia circuit is compatible with it. And the installation looks very easy. But if you can afford the cost and time to do the OEM route I think you are better off.

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-VWH~118451.htm?vehicleid=20089165

·
Registered
26 Posts
GAR said:
I have this aftermarket wiring harness on the way. I spent a bit of time on the phone with them and I think the Acadia circuit is compatible with it. And the installation looks very easy. But if you can afford the cost and time to do the OEM route I think you are better off.

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-VWH~118451.htm?vehicleid=20089165
Im not sure I'd got with that adapter.
It looks as though it draws power for the trailer lights through the vehicle lights.
Not good , if you Acadia has led lights like my 09.

I'm leaning to the Hoppy 46365 , as mentioned in the first in this thread:
http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=3894.0

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
road-e said:
It looks as though it draws power for the trailer lights through the vehicle lights.

I think Copperhead talked about drawing power from the tail lights; that can cause the LED's to burn out and apparently the assembly is expensive to replace (~$300)

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
road-e said:

I know what you are saying. Typically with LED lights, the circuit that drives them requires much less current so it can be a low current circuit. If you attach standard bulbs on the trailer directly to that circuit, then you burn out the circuit that drives the LEDs. I pushed back a bit on this and they claimed that this was not the case for the Acadia and that it used a standard circuit for the rear lights even though they used LED lights. They claim that the Acadia tail light circuits are capable of running trailer lights.

If I do only use this harness, before I do, I will look at the shop manuals and verify the circuits can handle it. I went ahead and ordered the assembly as it does give the connectors for both tail lights and even if I use a circuit protection device like this one http://www.etrailer.com/p-119176.htm, which is likely, I will then use the harness I have to tap into the tail lights without any splicing or cutting the car wiring.

For now I don't need any wiring as the only reason I am putting the hitch on is for mounting my 4 bike rack.

·
Registered
428 Posts
GAR said:
I know what you are saying. Typically with LED lights, the circuit that drives them requires much less current so it can be a low current circuit. If you attach standard bulbs on the trailer directly to that circuit, then you burn out the circuit that drives the LEDs. I pushed back a bit on this and they claimed that this was not the case for the Acadia and that it used a standard circuit for the rear lights even though they used LED lights. They claim that the Acadia tail light circuits are capable of running trailer lights.

If I do only use this harness, before I do, I will look at the shop manuals and verify the circuits can handle it. I went ahead and ordered the assembly as it does give the connectors for both tail lights and even if I use a circuit protection device like this one http://www.etrailer.com/p-119176.htm, which is likely, I will then use the harness I have to tap into the tail lights without any splicing or cutting the car wiring.

For now I don't need any wiring as the only reason I am putting the hitch on is for mounting my 4 bike rack.
I dont know about the adapter harness but I do know that any thing that causes a current drop to the tailights will cause them to fail prematurely. I went through this when I had wiring spliced into mine before I decided to do it the right way and have the fuseblock changed and activate the factory wiring. Its been trouble free since. Those tailights are expensive to replace......

1 - 19 of 19 Posts