GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday evening while exiting the Acadia I noticed something that I haven't noticed before. The paint where the A-pillar meets the fender is becoming discolored, and it's on both sides. It looks like there is some rail dust on the fender pad that have turned to specks of rust, but how did the paint get discolored?

Here are a few bad pictures to show the issue:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mine is a summit white and I just noticed the same issue only on the driver side and not as bad as what you have. It almost looks like it was not completely covered when it was painted as I do not have any of the deposit you have. Let me now if you bring it into the dealer

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ouch! That does NOT look good and I am sure the pictures do not show the full extent of it.

It will be interesting to see what others say and to see how common this becomes. How long have you had the WD?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Have you tried to remove it? A little cleaner wax maybe? Is it IN the paint?

Looks sort of like a bleed issue from some other material. Maybe the foam they use to insulate the body panels. Interesting. I have a Summit White Acadia and have seen none of this. I do know they have discontinued the White Diamond Tricoat. Could this be why???

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll be taking it to the dealer this coming week. It was on order for two months until they built more White Diamond models. White Diamond is harder to apply, but Cadillac has ben using it for a while without issue.

I tried to rub it off but I don't think it's on the surface. I'm really hoping it doesn't have to be painted because they would have to paint the fenders and the A-pillars all the way back to and including the rear quarter panels.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Ouch that doesn't look good at all. It looks like it is under the paint. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I flooded the area with detailing spray and cleaned it out but whatever it is that is there does not come off. I highly doubt that it is rust as rust would have come off on the cloth I wedged in there and rubbed back and fourth. I think as another poster stated that it might be the insulation they sprayed.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Looks more like "diamond" flake in the paint not mixed properly, or the spayer was low on paint and "burped" :confused: at that point. Probably only cure is to have high quality paint shop take it down to the metal and repaint, but probability of match is pretty low if you are as fussy as I am.
Best of luck, better have your local dealer talking with GM as most shops will not know what to do here.

·
Registered
395 Posts
You could just keep it dirty and don't worry about it. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I took it to the dealer today and both the service writer and the body shop estimator were stumped and had never seen anything like it. I told them that another forum member (Acadiaforum.net) had experienced the same thing on a Summit White Acadia, so it's not a one-time anomaly.

I'm dropping it off next week to have a possible bad tire replaced, update the transmission sortware and let the body shop see what they can do about the paint issue.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the update. Let us know what the final resolution is. As I stated before my Summit White 07 has the same thing but not as pronounced as yours. When I look at the area when the door is open into the front fender where the A pillar joins (you need to move the insulation) in you can see that on both the driver and passenger side that the bracket located there is of an orange color. I have no idea why this is the case but I wonder if that bracket is sprayed before the fender and door are mounted and there is overspray on the A pillar.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I noticed the same problem on my white acadia with only 750 miles on it. I brought it to the dealer and they are stumped. They told me the same thing about having to repaint just about everything. The discoloration on mine is very minor and almost not noticable, so I could live with it as is. My concern is will it get worse? For those others experiencing problems, have you noticed the problem getting progressively worse over time?

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
115 Posts
AndrewGS said:
I told them that another forum member (Acadiaforum.net) had experienced the same thing on a Summit White Acadia, so it's not a one-time anomaly.
I think you're referring to me AndrewGS. I posted about the paint discoloration and the chipped paint around headlights. I'm still trying to get an appt. to have the dealership look at it - mostly my schedule that conflicts. It's definitely within the paint, not a topical problem that can be cleaned off.

I need to work on modifying and reducing image size - this is my first picture post!

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have jsut a very slight yellowish discoloration at the same location of my 2008 WD Acadia. Certainly not worth worrying about in my case, but it does occur just in front of the side view mirrors. Right where the A-pillar and fender and door all come together. It's very subtle, but it is there.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have yet to experience paint discoloration on my White Diamond, but I will definitely keep my eyes open. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also own a White Diamond '08 Acadia with the same discoloration in that same spot. After careful examination I noticed that there is some kind of Rubber piece between the fender and the A pillar that looked to be discolored in the same way on both sides of the vehicle. I believe this piece has something to do with this occurence. Maybe the rubber contacting the painted surface causes some kind of reaction, which I know sounds a little hard to believe. I believe this item might be the root cause of the problem. Can anyone else verify what I think is the culprit in this issue?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Didn't someone on another board pertaining to this same problem, mention it might be rail dust or something like that?
Most cars go by rail. It takes 30 days for the paint to completely cure after it comes off the assembly line. I wonder what was resolved. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but thought I read something about possible rail dust. Rail dust would want to seek the seams and work into the paint with train traveling at high speed?

·
Registered
115 Posts
rae0568 said:
I have yet to experience paint discoloration on my White Diamond, but I will definitely keep my eyes open. Thanks.
I don't think you need to worry about the paint discoloration if you don't see a problem right now. At least in my case this is a problem that was present at delivery. I thought it was a shadow because mine is subtle, but it's not a shadow. I held a white piece of paper under the yellow section just to confirm that it's not a shadow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2007 AWD Acadia 3 months old with white Diamond Coat and have the same discoloration issue in Andrew's and Boxermom's posts in the same area.  I will be taking it to the dealer along with copies of the pictures from Andrew's post to see what he has to say.  It looks to me that the discoloration is in the area of the body/fender shims.  I also noticed the same type of discoloration starting to show up in the area of the door handle on the drivers side rear passenger door. Has anyone contacted GM direct about this issue as opposed to contacting the dealer? 

1 - 20 of 36 Posts