GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

This is a pretty good website. You guys seem pretty happy with your ride!

Getting a new vehicle and trying to figure out the safest one possible. I've narrowed it down to two vehicles- the Ford Expedition and the GMC Acadia. Normally I would say that the Expedition is safer, but the Acadia has All Wheel Drive..........

They both have good crash tests, so I think that with AWD the Acadia is safer than the Expedition in day to day driving, but in a worse case head on collision the Expedition would be better due to its excessive weight.

Now one option is to get a 4WD Expedition. I'm not an expert in 4WD though. Can you just leave it in 4Hi permanently, or would that cause some sort of damage? I have an AWD Toyota 4runner, and that thing is awesome when it comes to snow and ice.

What do you guys think? Any information would be appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am sure someone with more knowledge about the two vehicles technically will weigh in....but as an 03 Expy owner who is going to eventually order the new black 08 Acadia (and has already ordered an 08 Enclave for my wife to replace her T&C van) I can at least weigh in with my perceptions...

AWD is certainly intended for full time use vs. 4WD Expy, and AWD is really more focused on the on-the-fly traction control issue you may care about more than low gearing for pulling something out or pulling yourself out of the mud.

The Expy I would guess has higher ground clearance although probably not by as much as one might think - it is a rougher ride intended more for true 4WD use although 90% of folks probably never use it for more than driving over an occasional parking lot curb!

The Acadia is likely just as safe on paper with three row air bags like the Expy, great crash ratings like the Expy, and all the standard features of safety (trac control, etc.)

The Expy does have more weight and you are more likely to "win" a head on crash if there is such a prize...but the flip side (no pun intended) is that it is certainly easier to flip an Expy/lose control of an Expy in my view. The extra height and weight combined with sloppier handling makes it harder to drive an Expy aggressively and not lose it even in 4WD which again is not really intended for slick AWD trac control anyway....of course you should not be driving the Expy super fast like a BMW taking corners anyway, but it is a key distinction. I like still having the interior room and higher ride height of the Acadia without the bulk and sloppiness of the Expy handling, but that is just me (and I really like my Expy)

One obvious difference is the car base of the Acadia - ride is smoother and quieter than the Expy (and the Buick is even quieter and smoother, I have driven them both), and you can tell the difference. Now if you like the "truck feel" (and some do) then one could argue the Acadia feels like a car as a negative...all a matter of preference.

The Expy is a little taller and bigger inside although the cargo ratings are similar between Acadia and Expy - the space behind the third seat is similar in both vehicles. The Expy seats are a little wider up front in my experience (not sure if data proves it) so I would argue it feels slightly more roomy inside the Expy although again that is the negative of size and weight earlier (can't have it all, but in my opinion the Acadia gets mighty close).

The Expy definitely has better side mirrors and rear visibility than the Acadia, but with the rear camera/sensors I am not worried about the Acadia. I use my rear sensors in the Expy every time, so using them in the Acadia (I think they are slightly less intuitive than Ford's though) will be fine in combo with the camera.

I think the newer Limited trim of the Expy is nicer inside than the Acadia, but otherwise I would argue their interiors are probably a wash and matter of personal preference. The Enclave is far nicer inside than the Acadia - at some point we all expect a Denali Acadia that will probably be more like the Limited Expy...

These are just some random thoughts off the top of my head....hope this is helpful...again others may have more fact-based comparo thoughts, I am just offering my perceptions having driven them and owning the Expy...

·
Registered
752 Posts
Very nice review :thumb: - that took some time :notworthy:
What about the difference in gas milage? I'm guessing that the Acadia wins hands down.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I actually chose the Acadia due to the safety concerns I had. It is a replacement for my previous vehicle which was involved in a roll over accident. I had felt that if I ever hit something head or on the side on I'd be good to go. However I did not take into account getting hit on the side with enough force to cause me to roll over. Thus I chose the Acadia as a replacement, as it has a lower ground clearance, with a wide stance, stabili-trak, standard with 10 air bags and weighed enough to hold its own.

I feel much safer in the Acadia with much more space than I ever did in any of my 5 passenger SUV's or if you count those rinky dink back seats for small children, 7 passenger.

Heres how the two compare based on size:

Overall Vehicle Height: Expedition: 77.2 in Acadia 69.9 in

Overall Vehicle Width: Expedition: 78.8 in Acadia 78.2 in

Ground Clearance: Expedition: 8.7 in Acadia 7.4 in

Vehicle Weight: Expedition: 5805 lbs Acadia 4722 lbs

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, thanks for all the good info. That 1st reply is very helpful. I am still confused about one things though. AWD vs 4wd. Could I get a 4WD expedition and then just leave it in 4 high or would that not be good for the vehicle? Is there a big difference b/w the two?

I'm very much leaning toward the Acadia. It just seems like a much more modern and put together vehicle.

Thanks

·
Registered
405 Posts
i think the new 07 you can leave in 4wd but i would not because they already get bad mpg and that would make it worse. But i know that they should NOT remain in 4wd for the life of the vehicle.

the roll over risk it alot greater in the ford. Also you get the added safty of onstar in the acadia. i test drove a expidetion when i was shopping for a big suv and the thing i noticed was that in the visor of the ford there was a rollover warning and in the gmc there was not one. there is also not one in the acadia i ended up with the yukon last year and this year we have the acadia too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Couple of follow on points...

Mileage I get in my Expy in combined city/highway commute driving is 14 mpg. Never get much over 15 or 16 on a long highway trip. Most folks are reporting for Acadia getting at least 20 in real life on the interstate, some higher....and of course some lower if driving it more aggressively in local driving. There is a whole thread on here about reported gas mileages...

Running in 4WD all the time is not doable in many 4WDs because it wears it out, but I know some are now touting "full time 4WD" and I honestly don't know if the 07/08 Expys have that now. I would tend to think the computer assisted power shifting to the rear wheels is different for AWD (e.g. most of time an AWD Acadia is running 90 front/10 back in terms of power distribution) than for simply turning on the 4WD all the time, although the new full time 4WD systems may look more like AWD in that regard...

·
Registered
659 Posts
There are certainly many factors contributing to safety beyond just sheer mass. The Ford has the mass but it comes at the cost of active safety. The ability to avoid the collision to begin with is aided greatly by the Acadia's lower center of gravity and more maueverable chassis. In addition, most experts consider two of the most significant safety items of recent years to be stability control and side curtain air bags, which the Acadia has for all passengers, including the third row. Does the Ford have them for the 3rd row and have stability control as well? These are all pieces of the puzzle and there is no clear answer unless you know exactly what type of impact you are going to sustain. The sheer mass of the Ford can be an advantage in some specific situations but certainly it can be a liability in others.

·
Registered
19 Posts
FYI I would still pick Acadia but Expy does have all row side curtain airbags and traction control. They were actually an early three row side curtain adopter on that feature that is now getting close to being standard...

But again outside of simply winning head on crashes on the bulk factor I do agree that your odds of avoiding an accident are probably greater with the Acadia - better agility, better handling, less likely to flip over, etc....and I would tend to think less you are less likely to accidentally lose control yourself too if you happen to be a sloppy driver...

·
Registered
48 Posts
One other factor to consider in avoiding an accident - braking. The more mass, the harder to stop. Take a look at stopping distance for the two.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Nice! I usually hear the Acadia being compared to the Ford Edge, hehe.

I believe the AWD Acadias are 4936lbs and are slightly closer to the ground.

As for safety, the Acadia has the Stabilitrak as the Expedition has the AdvanceTrac.

In crash tests they both received 5 stars except for the rollover- the Acadia got 4 stars while the Expedition received 3.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts