GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I found them but are there two horns one on each side of the frame? I think I found them but I don't know how to get to them without tearing apart the front end. I recently ended up with 2 bad boy horns and I thought gee, I'll just install one of these in the Acadia. Then I started looking and it looks like maybe there are two horns, one on each side of the frame almost below the headlight plastic boxes. Anyone know for sure? It was dark and my flashlight was going dim when I was trying to find them.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
GMSI says to remove the front wheel well liners to access the horns (yes, there are 2, a low note and a high note)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. So I was looking at the right thing. Now I have to decide if it's worth the hassle. I actually bought these for my wifes car. I'm wondering if I want to put 2 bad boy horns in there, none or just one. I'm tired of people sitting at green lights talking on their cell phones, it's a daily occurance on my route.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Let us know how that works if you do it. Might be something I want to try also.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm thinking two of these wolo horns would pretty much do it. You can hear them online.

www.wolo-mfg.com/air.htm

Bonk- I'll let you know as I'm planning to work on it tomorrow. ;D

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Rod S said:
I'm thinking two of these wolo horns would pretty much do it. You can hear them online.

www.wolo-mfg.com/air.htm

Bonk- I'll let you know as I'm planning to work on it tomorrow. ;D
How did you make out, any luck?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually, I just got in from installing the horn on the passenger side. I took part of today off since it was so sunny here and decided to tackle the install. It took me a little while as I was trying to determine the best way to angle the horn and just where to mount it. I finally gave up and just mounted it on the bar that the stock horn was mounted to but I gave it a twist so that it would blast down and out rather than into the side of the fender or the frame.

I may only install one of them as that is LOUD and OBNOXIOUS!! It's GREAT! I can't imagine needing it much louder but I may do the other one anyway just for kicks. Did I mention I hate distracted cell phone drivers?

I still have the stock driver side horn blasting too but it's pretty much drowned out by the bad boy horn. ;D

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
So was it a simple plug and play, did you have to modify any wires? Did you go through the wheel well to access it?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's not plug and play as the connector is specific to the stock horn. I took two wire tap splice connectors, a short piece of wire and two disconnect terminals to wire it up.

I went through the wheel well which is a bit cramped with the tire in the way as I only unhooked the front plastic liner and didn't remove it. You could remove the wheel and get at it better but I'd rather hassle with tight working conditions than a bunch of extra work removing the tire and the front and back liner. I work on my boat and it's relatively more of a pain so I'm used to limited access conditions.

I like having one stock horn attached because if you hit the horn button on your keyfob or hit the door locks twice it's too short of a beep to get the airhorn to sound so with the stock horn on one side you still get a honk.

I had to use the horn today, it was AWESOME! :angel:

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Rod S said:
...I had to use the horn today, it was AWESOME! :angel:
I'm glad you are happy... also glad I don't live/drive in your area. Rush hour around here is usually < 12 vehicles. :)

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
From 1999:

February 1999

Dear Tom and Ray:

My question concerns car horns. Why are horns on some cars (mostly wimpy imports) so wimpy, while the horns on other cars (particularly massive domestics) are so impressive and powerful? Why can't I just go to the junkyard and get a nice, robust set of Cadillac horns and put them on my wimpy Nissan Sentra? That way, when some idiot does something stupid and I blast him for it, he'll take notice. -- Albert

Ray: Wow, Albert. I can see you're feeling a little unnoticed in the world. And if that's the case, there's no reason you can't replace your existing horns with a set of junkyard horns from a Cadillac.

Tom: In fact, you can go down to Key West and replace your horn with a lighthouse foghorn if you can manage to steal one.

Ray: He's just kidding, folks. We are in no way advocating lighthouse desecration in this column. Don't write to our editor.

Tom: Manufacturers DO tend to try to match the character of the horn to the character of the car. But there's no reason you can't change it if your ego can't handle a wimpy horn.

Ray: But before you make a swap, you might check to be sure both of your horns are still working. Most cars come with two horns, a high-pitched horn and a low- pitched horn. They're wired together so they both go off when you press on the horn button. But a lot of times, one of the horns will die before the other. That leaves you with only one horn, which could explain a particularly wimpy sound.

Tom: Hey, you know, Albert's letter gives me an idea for my next Ph.D. dissertation: Correlation of Horn Robusticity to Car Owner Self-Esteem in Twentieth Century America. I'll get right on it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure if anyone purchased train horns from the site suggested but I notice they have a 200% price guarantee. Might be worth checking out http://trainhornsdelivered.com as their prices are cheaper. If you already ordered you stand to get a bit of a refund I think :cheers:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts