GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed an aftermarket CURT hitch made for the Acadia that bolted right to the Acadia in about 10 minutes. I'm 100% confident that it's installed correctly and very secure.

However, when I tow something (a jet ski, a Uhaul trailer, and empty trailer, etc.) it make a racket. Sounds like the back of the car is about to fall off or I'm towning a trailer without wheels. But low and behold - everything seems fine at it does tow perfectly.

Is this perhaps because the car is a unibody frame - and the noises are amplified through the whole car? My reciever/pin have just a little play, probably by design. But I've seen ones where the pin has a hollow metal sleeve over it. Perhaps that tightens everything up to stop some of this noise?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
395 Posts
I've found that receiver hitches can be clunky. There is some play between the receiver and the drawbar. You can buy cushioned drawbars, and someone on here uses a "hitch vise" (I think that was what it was called) to tighten everything up. (Check the other trailering threads) Just make sure the pin is in good condition and firmly secured. What is the weight of the trailer? Without the factory tow package, you are supposedly limited to 2000 pounds, even though the hitch may be rated for more (probably more to avoid transmission/heat problems).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
395 Posts
I just noticed what you said about the pin. There are two different sizes- one is for Class II and one is for Class III. If you are using the smaller diameter pin in a bigger hole- that is definitely the source of the noise. If you buy a lock for the receiver, it is usually the smaller diameter but it comes with a sleeve to allow it to be used with the larger diameter. There should be a pretty snug fit on the pin. Also check the holes in both the drawbar and receiver for ovality if you were using the smaller pin, as they may now be damaged.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
jscek2 hit the nail on the head. when I tow my trailer empty, regardless of what vehicle I use, it's noisy. fully loaded, much quieter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
denemante said:
I installed an aftermarket CURT hitch made for the Acadia that bolted right to the Acadia in about 10 minutes. I'm 100% confident that it's installed correctly and very secure.

However, when I tow something (a jet ski, a Uhaul trailer, and empty trailer, etc.) it make a racket. Sounds like the back of the car is about to fall off or I'm towning a trailer without wheels. But low and behold - everything seems fine at it does tow perfectly.

Is this perhaps because the car is a unibody frame - and the noises are amplified through the whole car? My reciever/pin have just a little play, probably by design. But I've seen ones where the pin has a hollow metal sleeve over it. Perhaps that tightens everything up to stop some of this noise?
Slight thread jack...did your hitch tuck up nicely under the bumper like a factory hitch? And do you intend to purchase the new fascia (cover) to hide the hitch when you're not using it? Just curious how it will all fit and look. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The hitch I got sticks out a little further than the factory one must, because I cannot put that factor bumper cover back on. Regardless, it doesn't bother me and looks fine to me. That hitch cover seemed a little flimsy anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,703 Posts
denemante said:
The hitch I got sticks out a little further than the factory one must, because I cannot put that factor bumper cover back on. Regardless, it doesn't bother me and looks fine to me. That hitch cover seemed a little flimsy anyway.
Did you get the hitch cover that comes with an Acadia that has the hitch? It's my understanding that it has a little bump out in it to accommodate the hitch sticking out and the one on a base Acadia is flat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
I have the factory tow package. I experience the same noises....loud clunking, popping, etc.

I've checked over the installation of the hitch as well as the suspension, etc. I can't find anything wrong.

But it sounds like the uniframe body is oilcanning (i.e. flexing and popping).

This happens with or without a load. It's usually worse with a load.

About the only thing left that I can try is to shim the draw bar where it fits into the receiver and try and take up any play that might be there to rule that out as the cause. But it sounds like it is all over the back end of the vehicle.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
f4phantomii said:
I have the factory tow package. I experience the same noises....loud clunking, popping, etc.

I've checked over the installation of the hitch as well as the suspension, etc. I can't find anything wrong.

But it sounds like the uniframe body is oilcanning (i.e. flexing and popping).

This happens with or without a load. It's usually worse with a load.

About the only thing left that I can try is to shim the draw bar where it fits into the receiver and try and take up any play that might be there to rule that out as the cause. But it sounds like it is all over the back end of the vehicle.
My Acadia does the same thing when I tow my pop-up camper. It's really freaking noisy. I figured there wasn't anything that could be done about it, so I just deal with it. And heaven forbid you tow something over a roadway with bumps in it... it makes the Acadia jerk forward and back like there's no tomorrow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
428 Posts
As far as the car jerking forward and back if you will get a hitch with the rubber cushion joint in it it will stop most of the jerking. It looks just like the normal ball mount but has a rubber insert inside of it to help cushion the hitch against the jerking...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
You may want to look into the idea of a silent hitch pin such as something similar to this: http://store.uhaul.com/product_detail.aspx?id=4805

I'm sure there are other similar products out there as well. I don't have a trailer, but I do have hitch carrier that I use the above hitch pin on. When I've used my hitch carrier, it is completely silent back there. Once you snug it up, it doesn't move at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
Just towed my Sea Ray for the first time last weekend. I agree with the posting here...very noisy! The term "oil canning" is about right, only more dramatic. My wife and I were so concerned, we made an appointment at the dealer and dropped the Acadia off this morning. They called and said they could not find a problem, and said they put an impact wrench on every major bolt to ensure everything was tight. We will try again this weekend, and see what happens. Good to know the boat will not fall off, I guess. I may look at some of the options others have posted here to quiet it down.
Aside from the noise, the Acadia pulled the boat like a champ. We only went about 20 miles, but it pulled strong, and had no issue with the moderately steep ramp.
Thanks for the posts, everyone!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
My factory installed hitch makes lots of noise as well. I was able to figure out where the clunking was coming from. It is actually too much free play (1/8") between the receiver and the ball mount (drawbar). I might weld a few strips on the ball mount and grind the weld down so the ball mount fits snug into the receiver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Mine was making a lot of noise as well. But I noticed that the ball mount was not completely engaged with the reciever. So I drilled another hole in the ball mount so that I could insert it further in the reciever. This has worked to significantly reduce the noise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,042 Posts
I've always had some noise when towing, with the Outlook or with my Odyssey before. I attributed it to the moving connection between car and trailer. It has never seemed excessive to me.

Oh, and regarding the trailer moving the vehicle around, my Outlook is a vast improvement over my Odyssey and I towed with a weight distributing hitch (WDH) with the Odyssey. Often had the 'tail wagging the dog' feeling in the Odyssey. Wish my WDH setup would work with the Outlook, it'd make it much more solid. The Outlook is too high for the trailer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
655 Posts
I was quite surprised at how much play is in the 2" box of a Hitch receiver. When you put the draw bar in and put the pin through the amount of movement up and down is quite incredible. Oddly enough that's how they all are. My solution:
Wrap your draw bar in enough electrical tape at the entrance and the backside of the draw bar to take up the slack. Now no more clanking and it works just fine. Cushions and holds just perfectly and the draw bar doesn't clunk around. Nice and solid. That clunking and clanging would have drove me nutz.

Yes over time the Electrical tape will wear but, tape is cheap! Just unwrap and re tape!
If anybody wants pics I'd be more than happy to share!
-Evan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Copperhead13 said:
You need this, I love it!!!!!


I can see this hitch vise preventing forward and backward movement, but my problem is the up and down and side to side movement. Does the hitch vise stop the up and down movement as well? The receiver of my hitch is actually 2-1/8" which would seem to me that I would have to shim between the receiver and drawbar.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top