GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the delivery overview of our Acadia, its controls and systems, the salesman pointed out the Traction Control Disable Button on the dash. When asked when it could/should be used, he said that TC is to help out in snow and ice, and that on dry days its best to leave it off.

This doesn't make sense to me. I can't imagine that they'd design a system that's best left off and needs to be manually enabled in inclement weather. If this was the case, the polarity of the button would be reversed and it'd be an "enable TC" button. I've left TC enabled, assuming it was a case of the salesman being misinformed (which would be unprecedented, huh?)

What's the official word?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Your "sense" is correct. At least to me.

See Acadia owners manual, pp. 337-339.
"It is recommended to leave the system on for normal driving conditions, but it may be necessary to turn the system off if your vehicle is stuck in sand, mud, ice or snow, and you want to “rock” your vehicle to attempt to free it." (p. 338)

I've always left electronic traction control (or whatever a car maker names it) "ON" or "engaged" on every vehicle I've owned that has such a system. I believe the advice has been to leave it on.

On your last comment...my experience is that auto "salesmen" are generally woefully misinformed. You'll certainly learn much more from this forum.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ditto to what Acadia4VA-WV said. You need to leave it on at all times unless you find yourself in a situation where you do require your wheels to spin......

Salesmen.....whatever!

That's why all people should buy cars from girls ;D

·
Registered
164 Posts
My experiences...turn it off before you get in deep snow or mud. It's hard to get any momentum with the TC interfering. It's too late when you're stopped. IMO.

·
Registered
497 Posts
CC said:
Salesmen.....whatever!

That's why all people should buy cars from girls ;D
That's why I put "salesmen" in quotes, because I went back and forth...do I say salesman, salesperson, salesmen,.... BUT, I definitely did think of you specifically before posting and didn't want to offend. You've proven that one "saleswoman" knows plenty about the cars she sells! :angel:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts