GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this hasn't been discussed before, but:

When do you plan to change the trans fluid for the first time? (mileage)

What procedure will you use? Pull pan plug (is there one?), drop pan and/or drain converter, or do a "fluid exchange" using the cooling lines? (This method has worked well for me on previous vehicles.)

Do you trust a "quick lube" place to do it?

What fluid do you plan to use?

This is my first vehicle with a six-speed, and I noticed on a trip this past weekend that it shifts quite a bit at cruising speed on the interstate.

Thanks much!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I will inquire per my vin# at 50,000 and if non synthetic, will change right away with synthetic. If transmission has synthetic, will wait till 150,000.

·
Registered
812 Posts
i usually change mine during the first 1000-1500 miles of the vehicle via dealership for a full trans flush then i just follow the manual from that point on although i might change to synthetic from regular as what teetertotter said. ;D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SioXie said:
i usually change mine during the first 1000-1500 miles of the vehicle via dealership for a full trans flush then i just follow the manual from that point on although i might change to synthetic from regular as what teetertotter said. ;D
What does your dealer charge for a synthetic fluid flush?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Wont change mine until the designated time in the manual. I think 100,000 miles? Maybe its 150,000. I dont trust juffy lube. I have gone in there before and they seem to have their own "manufacturer schedule" showing me needing replacement. They always said the fluid looks dirty and needs changing. 225,000 miles on my last car without a hint of transmission trouble. I thing the fluid was changed twice the whole time I owned the car.

PS- Just think how much oil we would save if everyone dropped the antiquated every 3 months or 3000 mile oil change routine. Heck even my wife's 2003 Mazda gives a 7500 mile oil change interval.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
I know I'll probably change mine soon anyway (I'm at about 5500 miles) but here's an interesting piece of info from the GM Powertrain site:

LOW MAINTENANCE
The 6T70/75 is filled for life with DEXRON®-VI premium fluid, which during normal use need not be replaced. DEXRON®-VI is validated to improve durability and shift stability over the life of the transmission. DEXRON® VI, was developed to have a more consistent viscosity profile; a more consistent shift performance in extreme conditions; and less degradation over time. Internal GM tests have demonstrated DEXRON® VI delivers more than twice the durability and stability in friction tests compared to existing fluids. The DEXRON®-VI fluid was designed specifically and validated for the new family of GM six-speed automatic transmissions.

So apparently GM thinks we never need to change the stuff. :crazy:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wonder what "normal use" is? ??? I usually try to follow the "severe duty" maintenance schedule.

I just can't imagine not changing the fluid! Just think about how many clutch surfaces (i.e. friction material that wears out) are in there...

·
Registered
542 Posts
Come on guys. Its not a 70s Vega we have here. Lets move into this century. Great leaps in technology have been made in the last 30 years and not just in computers. If the manufacturer says it doesnt need changing at all or at a seemily rediculous number of miles then go with it. They have nothing to gain by telling us not to change it. In fact, they are losing business in not having us go into the dealership for all those maintenance items. My personal experience is that its best not to let anyone monkey around with my car unless absolutely needed. Seems new problems pop up after someone has worked on the car.

·
Registered
812 Posts
i_like_f150s said:
SioXie said:
What does your dealer charge for a synthetic fluid flush?
usually charge around 200-245 for the whole trans flush depending on what type of vehicle you have. every dealer has different price. You can check yours locally. :thumb:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Took it in for oil change and I said "CHECK the Tranny fluid and the power steering fluid, rotate tires and relearn sensor positions and change oil."
You want the tranny and PS flushed as GMC recommends......? dealer asked
"10K miles and fluid change recomended..?" I asked....."NO Check the fluids", I said.
long story short.....got my bill for $170 and it had the Tranny flush on it I said I didn't want or authorize this and I ain't happy !!!
Well they adjusted bill to $100 and I left.

So.......watch what the dealer says or you might get fluid changed sooner than expected or needed

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
2008 Owners Manual says to change the trans fluid at 50,000 and 100,000 for severe duty service and just at 100,000 for normal duty service even though the GM Powertrain site says it doesn't need to be changed. ??? The left hand of GM doesn't know what the right hand is doing?

·
Registered
812 Posts
GeoHawk said:
2008 Owners Manual says to change the trans fluid at 50,000 and 100,000 for severe duty service and just at 100,000 for normal duty service even though the GM Powertrain site says it doesn't need to be changed. ??? The left hand of GM doesn't know what the right hand is doing?
EXACTLY!!!! ;D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
50K miles sounds like a reasonable recommendation.

Keith has a point about technology advances. Perhaps with tighter mechanical tolerances and improved lubricants, "lifetime" fluid may not be out of the question. But before I'm willing to let it go a "lifetime", GM will have to warranty it for that long. ;)

·
Registered
812 Posts
i_like_f150s said:
50K miles sounds like a reasonable recommendation.

Keith has a point about technology advances. Perhaps with tighter mechanical tolerances and improved lubricants, "lifetime" fluid may not be out of the question. But before I'm willing to let it go a "lifetime", GM will have to warranty it for that long. ;)
AGREE!!! :thumb: but i always flush my trans fluid after break in in any car that i have as well as a complete oil change and then i follow the manual afterwards. ;D

·
Registered
484 Posts
Dexron VI is a synthetic fluid. I'm going to change ours out at 30k and use AMSOIL's ATF which is Dexron VI and then go the 50K intervals from there. I'll do the coolant line full fluid exchange. It is easy to do and you get as close to 100% exchange as possible.

Most don't keep their vehicles long enough to matter on the transmission so that fluid usually never gets changed anyway. It seems to be the forgotten fluid. :-[ GM has the 100k mile drive train warranty, but I would bet that if you had a transmission issue and didn't change the fluid out at the 50k point or show proof of that at some time with in the warranty period they would fight hard to say you didn't maintain it properly like the manual states and not want to cover the repair. We all know they like to push off any warranty work they can. At least it has been my experience when going in for warranty work.

These six speeds are a new breed so to speak. So it will be interesting to see just how tough they really are. Constant shifting isn't a good thing. I would think like all transmissions every time it shifts it raises the temperature and heat is the number one enemy to an automatic. Synthetic or not if it gets hot enough it will fail. Keeping fresh fluid per the manual is key in long transmission life.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
GeoHawk said:
I know I'll probably change mine soon anyway (I'm at about 5500 miles) but here's an interesting piece of info from the GM Powertrain site:

LOW MAINTENANCE
The 6T70/75 is filled for life with DEXRON®-VI premium fluid, which during normal use need not be replaced. DEXRON®-VI is validated to improve durability and shift stability over the life of the transmission. DEXRON® VI, was developed to have a more consistent viscosity profile; a more consistent shift performance in extreme conditions; and less degradation over time. Internal GM tests have demonstrated DEXRON® VI delivers more than twice the durability and stability in friction tests compared to existing fluids. The DEXRON®-VI fluid was designed specifically and validated for the new family of GM six-speed automatic transmissions.

So apparently GM thinks we never need to change the stuff. :crazy:
This is nice information and if the dealer says has Dexron VI per my VIN# at 50K, won't be concerned anymore. Technology continues.... Thanks GEO!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Has anyone even found the drain plug for your transmissions? I've crawled around under there twice now for regular oil changes and have yet to determine where it is. The fact that GM says it's "filled for life" makes me wonder if it's even "drainable" without taking major things apart. Just curious....

·
Registered
294 Posts
Most automatic transmissions since the '70's don't have drain plugs -- you have to remove the entire pan. This is also where the trans filter resides. It is not hard to do, just very messy.

On a related note, some late model GM cars do not even have a dipstick to check the transmission fluid level.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks xseler...duh, you're right - I've changed the tranny fluid on my Yukon a couple times now and should've realized there's no plug. No wonder it's messy :eek: However, last time I crawled under the Acadia, it looked like there wasn't a pan of any sort either. What do you take off to drain the fluid/change filter?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The new transmission does not have an oil pan to remove. The unit is sandwiched together in two halves side by side. Only 2 small plugs are present beneath. Since I do not know what is behind those plugs, I did not remove them.

As an interesting side note, I purchased this vehicle after it had 5 months of rental duty at Enterprise. It had 11,900 miles on it when I bought it April 15th. It is ""certified", meaning the dealership says they changed the fluid after they got it back from Enterprise. I am trying to obtain the paperwork saying that they did that to be sure. It is DEXRON VI, which is synthetic, and thought to be very robust in performance. The differences in change intervals has me puzzled.

It looks like it will be hard to get that fluid out. There also does not appear to be a provision for a transmission filter. This reminds me of the Maza 626 and 2003 Hyudai Elantra from a few years back. They have no fillter, and just a large drain plug on the bottom. Could it be that there is NO transmission filter in this vehicle? I don't know.

To settle it, I purchased a set of GM Factory Shop Manuals for the OUTLOOK, ENCLAVE and ACADIA vehicles from HELM,INC. They were not cheap, but reasonable at $135.00, plus shipping, taxes and handling. I got away for $167.00. Once I get them, I'll find out once and for all what is going on.

I'll keep everyone posted.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts