GMC Acadia Forum banner

121 - 129 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Acadia Denali
15 Posts
Stopped by the local GMC Dealer & had them start a claim & take pictures so I will wait for their call back. The Service manager said they have done 4-5 sets of these wheels in the past year and a half for the same issues.

·
Registered
2017 Acadia Denali
15 Posts
** UPDATE ** Just heard back from the local GMC dealer on the clearcoat peeling claim they submitted - after reviewing the pictures submitted, under warranty they are willing to refinish the wheels at their GMC body shop as per GM corporate/warranty instruction. I was hoping for wheel replacement, but having them refinished is better than nothing! Also, I can then hold them accountable for the quality/finish/etc on the wheels going forward since they are refinishing wheels themselves. I'm going to schedule the appt, get the work done, and let you know how it turns out!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Interesting. GM now authorizing refinishing the wheels rather than replacement.
Will be good to hear your take on the results. Thanks for posting this update!

·
Registered
2017 Acadia Denali
15 Posts
Im definitely curious to see how this materializes since they are a two tone paint/machined aluminum styled wheel with clear coat on the top - Im unsure if they are just scuffing & re-clearing them or fully stripping them, repainting the color, and then clearing. We will see.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Interesting. GM now authorizing refinishing the wheels rather than replacement.
Will be good to hear your take on the results. Thanks for posting this update!
I have not understood why someone would expect the wheels to be replaced. A good wheel guy can make the peeling wheels look like new.

·
Registered
2017 Acadia Denali
15 Posts
The idea of replacement VS reconditioning in my mind comes down to the issue of how the wheels are painted/machined/finished - for anyone who has done any custom/automotive/detail paint work they will agree that having painted recesses on the spokes and painted sides of the spokes with having a machined face is not a friendly process. The amount of time/detail of masking/taping off the machined areas so you have perfect clean transitions from painted areas to machined areas can be difficult - Im guessing that when the wheels were originally made/finished that the entire wheel was painted the darker color first, then machined in the face to take the paint back off, then clear coated to seal it all. I can't see any other way that taping/masking clean perfect lines at a wheel manufacturing plant is cost effective, or logical from a quality stand point. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
2017 Acadia Denali
15 Posts
As I suspected - any local body shops do not have the ability to properly refinish these wheels in the way that they were originally made - now if there is a specialized wheel refinisher, then sure, have at it, they know what they are doing. This is why refinishing these specific types of wheels may be more difficult that just ordering replacements from the dealer stand point.
wheel finishing.jpg

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
The idea of replacement VS reconditioning in my mind comes down to the issue of how the wheels are painted/machined/finished - for anyone who has done any custom/automotive/detail paint work they will agree that having painted recesses on the spokes and painted sides of the spokes with having a machined face is not a friendly process. The amount of time/detail of masking/taping off the machined areas so you have perfect clean transitions from painted areas to machined areas can be difficult - Im guessing that when the wheels were originally made/finished that the entire wheel was painted the darker color first, then machined in the face to take the paint back off, then clear coated to seal it all. I can't see any other way that taping/masking clean perfect lines at a wheel manufacturing plant is cost effective, or logical from a quality stand point. Just my two cents.
Having done this many times in my 50+ years of customizing cars and motorcycles, you don't mask the machined part of the wheel. You apply axle grease with a small brush, apply paint, wait for paint to dry, remove the grease.

Peeling wheels are repaired everyday on dealer lots everywhere. My son has years experience at CarMax. Many cars that look shiny as new on the lot did not start that way. Many have had PDR, wheel repairs and blended paint touch up by folks that are truly artists at their trade.

Some peel painting is not a first world problem that calls for new wheels.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
As I suspected - any local body shops do not have the ability to properly refinish these wheels in the way that they were originally made - now if there is a specialized wheel refinisher, then sure, have at it, they know what they are doing. This is why refinishing these specific types of wheels may be more difficult that just ordering replacements from the dealer stand point. View attachment 9523
Well . . maybe it's possible they will be sending the wheels out to a specialty refinishing shop?
Dealers farm a lot of work out for certain things these days. A neighbor around the corner from me has a larger lot and added a medium sized shop for his collector car and also does PDR for several dealers here. I see the courtesy vehicles come and go sometimes several times a day.

121 - 129 of 129 Posts