GMC Acadia Forum banner

101 - 120 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
How many miles in your Acadia? What kind of car washes do you take it through? In a hot climate or do the wheels get hit with road salt or sand? Trying to determine what factors may initiate the peeling?
27k miles. I have a membership for a nicer local car wash (half hand wash, half machine). I live in Missouri, which the weather just sucks. We’ve had a lot more ‘saltable’ conditions recently. All the other wheels are fine the last time I checked them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Eventually our vehicles will be entirely rebuilt ?

OT for the thread but my issues so far (CPO 2018) - Shift to park (2x repairs so far), peeling wheels (waiting on GMC to confirm warranty work), dash cowl warped and started to pull up (replaced at dealer; how does something warp in less than 2 years?), abundance of headliner rattles (resulted in dealer replacing headliner console, muffled a few of them on my own including the common sunroof rattle).
Mine spent 3 of the first 5 months I owned it in the shop (nobody could figure out why I had a "coaches whistle" sound coming from the front), severe roof rattling, transmission flaring between 2-3, wheels peeling, very loud brake noises from the rear (even while driving), etc...

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
27k miles. I have a membership for a nicer local car wash (half hand wash, half machine). I live in Missouri, which the weather just sucks. We’ve had a lot more ‘saltable’ conditions recently. All the other wheels are fine the last time I checked them.
Thanks for the reply. Agree .. . that the "snow belt" seems to have moved further south to Missouri, Kansas, Iowa, S. Illinois, . . etc. It actually has seemed that way to me largely the past 10 years.
So the wheel peeling doesn't seem to be from car washing. Wonder if sand/gravel and road salt starts the peeking once the clear coat is dinged?

As long as GM fixes it. We don't put a lot of miles on our Acadia having 2 daily drivers. The Acadia is more of our fair weather and travel vehicle.
Well . . keep us posted how the wheel replacement goes. (y)

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
FINAL UPDATE : Issue Resolved...we took our 2017 Acadia Denali in today as scheduled...had 4: new Replacement Rims installed with new Valve Stems and "Road Force" balanced. NO CHARGE (y) :cool: The "Process" works !!(y)
o_O

good lord. . . what happened? o_O

LOL. . . I know. . . this website is wonky. I've had "multiple post" syndrome happen to me a lot lately also.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah...I know...it posted multiple times and I tried to edit /delete...and could not ! Maybe one of the Administrators can jump in and correct this.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yeah...I know...it posted multiple times and I tried to edit /delete...and could not ! Maybe one of the Administrators can jump in and correct this.
A bit of a subject change but I was wondering how you like those Destination LE2's on the Acadia? Had them on an '11 Toyota Highlander and (IMO) they're one of the best replacement tires available.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Apparently...the Dealer replaced the original tires with these when they took the vehicle in on trade a month or so ago. Not my first choice (I'm a Michelin guy from way back)...however, I am impressed. They are very quiet and smooth and grip like glue on dry and wet pavement. They are also "H" Speed Rated (130 MPH) which covers the capabilities of the V6 Acadia. They have good handling and don't wander...so I have to say they are a great value...all things considered.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Apparently...the Dealer replaced the original tires with these when they took the vehicle in on trade a month or so ago. Not my first choice (I'm a Michelin guy from way back)...however, I am impressed. They are very quiet and smooth and grip like glue on dry and wet pavement. They are also "H" Speed Rated (130 MPH) which covers the capabilities of the V6 Acadia. They have good handling and don't wander...so I have to say they are a great value...all things considered.
Sounds like your experience with them is the same as mine. I too have a lifelong bias toward Michelin and had some reservations when I first got them but did so because of great reviews on TireRack and other sites - that I could get them for about $40/tire less than Michelin was a bonus. Turned out to be a really good decision.

They will definitely be on my short list when time comes for new tires on the Acadia.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is a bit humorous...but at least I know that On Star is "On the Ball" in reporting issues. While all four tires/wheels were being changed along with the pressure sensors...I received this Email:
"
One or more of the tires in your 2017 GMC Acadia is flat.

• Driver Side Front
    • Passenger Side Front
    • Passenger Side Rear
Please inspect before driving. You may need to add air or change the tire.
Please disregard this message if your vehicle is already in for service. Inaccurate notifications can be generated during service.
Please note: you may be eligible for Roadside Assistance. If you are an OnStar subscriber, push the blue button in your vehicle to speak with an Advisor. If not, call GM Roadside Assistance at 1.866.415.5838.

SULLIVAN BUICK GMC TRUCK
4000 SW COLLEGE RD,
OCALA, FL 34474
+13526200008"

Thank you "Captain Obvious". (y) :cool:

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
This is a bit humorous...but at least I know that On Star is "On the Ball" in reporting issues. While all four tires/wheels were being changed along with the pressure sensors...I received this Email:
"
One or more of the tires in your 2017 GMC Acadia is flat.
    • Driver Side Front
    • Passenger Side Front
    • Passenger Side Rear
=
Thank you "Captain Obvious". (y) :cool:
I had the same happen to me when having tire work done. It even came up with that message (on one tire) on the day of delivery after we took it for a test drive. Not sure why, but never came back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
New here! I recently went for a car wash and I noticed the wheels are peeling. Looks like there’s some sort of clear coat on the darker part of the rims that’s peeling off.
I had my car for about a year when I noticed that one of the wheels was peeling while I was putting gas in it. Took it in to the dealer and GM covered two new wheels (Service Advisor found that the other rear wheel was peeling also) The car is still under the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty so I will be looking carefully at the two that didn't get replaced.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had my car for about a year when I noticed that one of the wheels was peeling while I was putting gas in it. Took it in to the dealer and GM covered two new wheels (Service Advisor found that the other rear wheel was peeling also) The car is still under the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty so I will be looking carefully at the two that didn't get replaced.
Finish is peeling off my painted rims as well. They look terrible..contacted GMC about my 2019 Acadia..they offered no help..never again. They suggested that I used a harsh chemical on them..I have note.. they suggested I buy new rims! Great answer ..for a
2019 ..absolutely not!!

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Some have had the wheels replaced under warranty. Have you been to the dealer?

I have one wheel chipping on my '18 but doesn't much bother me. I know I can quickly respray them before turning in the car at the end of the lease.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Finish is peeling off my painted rims as well. They look terrible..contacted GMC about my 2019 Acadia..they offered no help..never again. They suggested that I used a harsh chemical on them..I have note.. they suggested I buy new rims! Great answer ..for a
2019 ..absolutely not!!
A 2019 and GM (or Dealer? ) is denying it?
Something must be terribly wrong in these wheel finishes the past 4 years or so. Cadillac, GMC and also some Chevy products with painted aluminum wheels is experiencing this as well.
The wheels are not made by GM and in the past, if a vendor supplies something that has a chronic issue, like paint peeling on wheels, would throw the charge back onto the supplier.
I've owned new GM products for +40 years and never had this kind of wheel paint peeling issue.
I will be watching my wheels closely from now on.

·
Super Moderator
20,894 Posts
Wondered that myself. The original reply was moved here from a thread which is over 10 years old, along with yours to it. Applied a current quote to bring the reply up to date, too. Maybe it's just a post to complain about GMC and not really one seeking any assistance. Lots more information to review in this thread about 2nd gen Acadia painted wheels. We'll see what the member does with it. ;)

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
The member below received a set of brand new wheels only a month ago and this was on A 2017 .
Florida Acadia 234083 said:
FINAL UPDATE : Issue Resolved...we took our 2017 Acadia Denali in today as scheduled...had 4: new Replacement Rims installed with new Valve Stems and "Road Force" balanced. NO CHARGE (y) :cool: The "Process" works !!(y)

·
Registered
19 Posts

I have one wheel chipping on my '18 but doesn't much bother me. I know I can quickly respray them before turning in the car at the end of the lease.
I've been to the dealer, still waiting to hear back though. All four of my wheels are peeling, some worse than others. Frustrating part is I've been waiting to hear back for at least 6 weeks. When I first went to to submit the claim, the dealer took photos and sent them off. Heard back from them a couple weeks later and they said they had a new warranty submission claim app that they were supposed to have been using so I had to drive back in and get new photos sent off. Still waiting..... Not sure how dealership service centers are being impacted during this time, but thought I would have heard something by now. Have followed up a couple of times. Before starting the process I reached out to GMC customer service as well since my car was very close to being out of warranty.

(UPDATE) - Just heard back from the dealer, GMC has approved replacement of all four wheels.

·
Registered
2017 Acadia Denali
19 Posts
Recently bought a '17 CPO Denali with 45k - I took delivery in the evening when it was dark out and didnt specifically look at the wheels very close but when I went to wash it the first time, about a week later, I noticed (3) of the (4) are very obvious on the peeling/chipping clear coat. I spoke to the selling dealer 2 weeks later when I took it in for the common 2-3 shift flare issue(which still isn't fixed) and they told me that it was wear and tear on the wheels.

I just can't believe that a barely 3yr old 45k vehicle has a wheel finish thats coming off because of wear and tear. They said they wouldn't be helping with them. I looked at the CPO checklist & it showed the wheels in good enough condition to be certified... I work at a Goodyear tire & auto facility and we have seen other '17 + denali's in here with less mileage than mine doing the same thing, not to mention all of the people in this thread. I've since spoken with another dealer & am having them look at the wheels tomorrow - Their opinion was that it should have been fixed before certifying , OR not certified at all, which I completely agree with.

They are slightly frustrated with me since it is technically the other dealer's problem and not their's, but a CPO is a CPO and they have GMC on the front door. Biggest thing I am up against is the fact that it fell out of the B2B at 36k, and now was certified and given another 12yr/12k B2B for being certified along with a power train warranty extension. Im guessing they will say that it was only covered under the original B2B warranty, not the CPO B2B. We will see.

101 - 120 of 132 Posts