GMC Acadia Forum banner

61 - 80 of 129 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,009 Posts
Wondering if certain car washes or sitting outside and subjected to road salt and other harsh conditions contribute to it?
Warranty wouldn't be so quick to exchange wheels if that was determined to be the problem.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
We don't really know if all owners who have this issue get their wheels replaced or what reasoning (excuses) were given by dealers. And, from the sounds of it. . . in some case GM/Dealer were not so "quick" to exchange the wheels.

·
Super Moderator
20,009 Posts
And in some cases the dealer and GM took care of it - no questions asked. Even when the dealer balked, Customer Service stepped in and rectified the situation in a bunch of cases of which I'm aware.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Balking is balking. .. . and often very frustrating for customers. And so then "some" is still not "all" so open to a particular owner's experience. As stated. .. . there were a number here going back who had difficulty getting wheels replaced. And who knows how many who never come to the forum.
In the end. . . a dealer's response is key in getting warranty work accomplished.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
We don't really know if all owners who have this issue get their wheels replaced or what reasoning (excuses) were given by dealers. And, from the sounds of it. . . in some case GM/Dealer were not so "quick" to exchange the wheels.
Since I am one owner that doesn't care one way or another, it will never be ALL owners having their wheels replaced.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bought this one used 10 days ago...not gotten dirty enough to wash. I went around the car going to clean the brake dust off and noticed that all 4: rims have small sheets of clear peeling off of them..spokes, hub, rim,etc.

I know...right???> Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Bought this one used 10 days ago...not gotten dirty enough to wash. I went around the car going to clean the brake dust off and noticed that all 4: rims have small sheets of clear peeling off of them..spokes, hub, rim,etc.

I know...right???> Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks
Use the search box here. . .. . several pages about peeling wheels.

·
Super Moderator
20,009 Posts
(Wheel peeling threads merged)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have a 2018 Acadia on which the clear-coat has begun blistering and peeling on all four wheels. From reading the posts on this forum it sounds like a widespread problem. Any suggestions on what to do?

(mod edit - spelling correction, Arcadia to Acadia)

·
Registered
23 Posts
First...if you are still within your 3 year/36K Bumper to Bumper Warranty it helps a bunch. This is what I just did today: I called GM Customer Service 866-522-9559 and spoke to a representative, explained my situation. She then got me in a 3: way call with my Dealer's customer relations manager...who also happens to be the service manager. Service manager asked that I bring the vehicle by so he could take pics and file a claim....THERE IS A STRICT PROCESS !! The dealer has an app on their GMC Phone that ties to GM Headquarters and expedites the claim. He took pics of all 4: wheels...labeling each one with a sign. He then completed the application with information and a narrative...followed by sending it in.

He explained to me that by strictly following the PROCESS he has not had one denied. Once approved (usually 2~3 business days) he will be notified with a Claim Adjustment PO number that he will use to order 4: new replacement rims.Once the rims arrive (usually 3~4 weeks), I will receive a call to set up an appointment to have the new rims swapped over to our vehicle.Service manager remarked that he has done "a dozen or so" vehicles in the past year or so...everything from Acadia's, Yukons, Sierras, and Escalades.

So stay tuned...I will let you know how this progresses. (y) :cool:

·
Registered
861 Posts
Since I am one owner that doesn't care one way or another, it will never be ALL owners having their wheels replaced.
You don't care? You buy a new (or almost new?) vehicle, and don't care about its appearance, resale value, nothing?
Anyway...
For others who do care and that's this is happening to; does this happen on 17", 18", 20" wheels?

·
Super Moderator
20,009 Posts
For others who do care and that's this is happening to; does this happen on 17", 18", 20" wheels?
It's something which has happened to wheels from many model years. Threads about it start in the earlier years of the forum. Most of the complaints have been about clear coat - not many about colored paint. Occasionally, you'll read about an issue with chrome bubbling or cracking on the chrome-clad wheels.

Face it! Wheels take a beating on the road. They're subject to passing vehicles hurling projectiles (macro- and microscopic), driving through road treatment, using improper cleaners, etc. That's why it's so difficult to determine a real warranty issue (defect in material or workmanship) from one which is a result of basic use of the vehicle (chemical or physical damage).

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
You don't care? You buy a new (or almost new?) vehicle, and don't care about its appearance, resale value, nothing?
Anyway...
Nope, I do not care. I leased my '18 new, the wheel issue has been noted on the vehicles service records by the dealer and 13 months from now it becomes someone else's issue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's something which has happened to wheels from many model years. Threads about it start in the earlier years of the forum. Most of the complaints have been about clear coat - not many about colored paint. Occasionally, you'll read about an issue with chrome bubbling or cracking on the chrome-clad wheels.

Face it! Wheels take a beating on the road. They're subject to passing vehicles hurling projectiles (macro- and microscopic), driving through road treatment, using improper cleaners, etc. That's why it's so difficult to determine a real warranty issue (defect in material or workmanship) from one which is a result of basic use of the vehicle (chemical or physical damage).
I think it's a problem across all makes and platforms. We are active members of the Corvette Club here in Ocala, Florida...and I can tell you...quite a few C7's, especially Grand Sports and Z06 models tend to bend rims like crazy. Bowling Green even put out a TSB advising owners of those models not to drive them on the street in "Track Mode" due to the problem. GM and others use a variety of vendors to build their wheels...with some vendors having a better QC program than others. Sometimes as end users we get a bad run of these things due to a variety of reasons.

Personally, I think the secret to this whole thing is to catch it as soon as you can and resolve it quickly. Keep pushing it all the way to the corporate level if need be and don't back down. I have dealt with the "General" many times over the years and they DO KNOW that they are not the only game in town and we as buyers have a lot of choices. They are BIG on GM loyalty and want to keep us all as customers....they learned the hard way when they almost "Lost The Farm" in 2008 !!

·
Registered
861 Posts
Nope, I do not care. I leased my '18 new, the wheel issue has been noted on the vehicles service records by the dealer and 13 months from now it becomes someone else's issue.
Ah lease, gotcha!

·
Super Moderator
20,009 Posts
Personally, I think the secret to this whole thing is to catch it as soon as you can and resolve it quickly. Keep pushing it all the way to the corporate level if need be and don't back down. I have dealt with the "General" many times over the years and they DO KNOW that they are not the only game in town and we as buyers have a lot of choices. They are BIG on GM loyalty and want to keep us all as customers....they learned the hard way when they almost "Lost The Farm" in 2008 !!
+1 As someone who has worked for the General's side on warranty problems, I couldn't agree more about highlighted part. That lessens the chance of anyone blaming the issue on something other than a factory defect.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
+1 As someone who has worked for the General's side on warranty problems, I couldn't agree more about highlighted part. That lessens the chance of anyone blaming the issue on something other than a factory defect.
Eventually we will go back to steel wheels with hub caps.....or full wheel covers for a bit more.

·
Registered
23 Posts
UPDATE:...Just spoke with my Dealer/Service Manager...GM has approved the claim and he has ordered 4: New replacement Rims for our vehicle(y):). He will advise as to ETA and schedule the Wheel Swap.....SUCCESSFUL OUTCOME !!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Eventually we will go back to steel wheels with hub caps.....or full wheel covers for a bit more.
I wouldn't be against that at all. The current trend for machined/chromed/alloy/etc. wheels has to add at least $1K to the cost of the vehicles, and probably quite a bit more. All this for something I might see for a total of 1 hour over the total period of ownership and has no bearing on day-to-day performance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The Aluminum Wheels are quite a bit lighter than the equivalent size in steel. This leads to a reduction in "un - sprung Weight". Any reduction in "un - sprung" weight improves handling and fuel economy.

61 - 80 of 129 Posts