GMC Acadia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have you gotten anywhere with GMC on this? Have the same issue with all 4 wheels on my Acadia Denali. The dealer sent up the information and pictures to GMC but they denied the warranty claim so now I’m following up with GM directly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
19,057 Posts
Have you gotten anywhere with GMC on this? Have the same issue with all 4 wheels on my Acadia Denali. The dealer sent up the information and pictures to GMC but they denied the warranty claim so now I’m following up with GM directly.
:welcome: to the forum. Year and mileage of your car? Did GMC give any reason for denial?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Glad to see someone else had the same issue. I have a 2017 Denali where the clear coat on the wheels were peeling. Took it to the dealer and talked to the service manager, they took pictures for the warranty claim. I had new wheels about two weeks later. Good luck and keep pushing. I hand wash my car and the wheel clear coat still peeled.

·
Registered
5 Posts
:welcome: to the forum. Year and mileage of your car? Did GMC give any reason for denial?
It’s a 2017 Denali with 20k miles. The initial reason I was given via the dealer was just that it wasn’t covered but to come back if it got worse. I called GM directly and the opened a case so now I’m waiting to hear back from them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Glad to see someone else had the same issue. I have a 2017 Denali where the clear coat on the wheels were peeling. Took it to the dealer and talked to the service manager, they took pictures for the warranty claim. I had new wheels about two weeks later. Good luck and keep pushing. I hand wash my car and the wheel clear coat still peeled.

Thanks. Yeah they’re definitely defective. Mine looks exactly like the picture you attached. All 4 wheels in the corners.

·
Super Moderator
19,057 Posts
It’s a 2017 Denali with 20k miles. The initial reason I was given via the dealer was just that it wasn’t covered but to come back if it got worse. I called GM directly and the opened a case so now I’m waiting to hear back from them.
OK. It was unclear from your first post whether it was the dealer, or GMC corporation which denied the claim. If I read this quote correctly, it almost seems that there was a unilateral determination made by the dealer's service center. Good luck with your claim. Please keep us posted when you get a decision from the corporate rep.

(I would have driven around the block, returned to the service aisle, jumped out of the car, and said, "It just got worse! Now fix it!!" :devil: )

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own a 2015 Denali purchased new in August of that year. I baby the heck out of this thing. Hand washed at a local place called Team Blue. Regardless, the clearcoat on the brushed aluminum wheels started to peel. And not just a little. It has affected all four wheels. The attached is from the front passenger. Yes, I need to get it washed, but this is what it looks like about five minutes after it's cleaned. Embarrassing. What I want to know is if the clearcoat can be removed and I can simply polishe the rims with like Mothers, or something similar. I don't want to spend the money to have them redone. Just silly. I would be more than happy to polish the rims every couple of weeks. I judt need to know how to remove the existing clearcoat without having to remove the wheels from the vehicle and the tires from the rims. Ideas?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
19,057 Posts
... I just need to know how to remove the existing clearcoat without having to remove the wheels from the vehicle and the tires from the rims. Ideas?
It's going to be tricky around the valve stems! Be careful. ;) Try a cloth (or foam) cone buffing attachment on an electric drill and some fine polishing compound. A tire store tech marred the spokes on my car's wheels with their balancing machine and buffed the scratches out really well using those tools.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks. Yeah they’re definitely defective. Mine looks exactly like the picture you attached. All 4 wheels in the corners.
I'm also concerned about my rims..as they are peeling.. we bought a 2017 one month ago with 20,000 miles. We brought it up to the manager, sales person and service department. They did say they will look into it.
I don't think they will do anything about it now that they got there money,
It really takes away from the beauty and style of this car...

·
Super Moderator
19,057 Posts
I don't think they will do anything about it now that they got there money,
It really takes away from the beauty and style of this car...
Welcome to the forum.
The ONLY way they should be reluctant to do anything under the new car warranty is if the original 'in service date' has past.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This also happened to our 2017. The wife scraped a curb after we first bought it and I replaced the scuffed rim with one from GM Parts Direct. Low and behold about 9 months later 3 of the rims had the clear coat peeling away and the newly bought one did not. Took it to the dealership and they agreed reluctantly to replace the 3 bad ones. They also were going down the road that something was sprayed on them but couldn’t explain the one that was still good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We purchased a 2019 Acadia in January. The car we purchased had black rims, in June the back rims started peeling and after 4 weeks GM replaced the back two rims, with silver rims. It took 4 more weeks to get 2 more rims that matched. They were supposed to replace with black rims however they are silver. We are still fighting GM to get them to get 4 black rims. We purchased the car becaase I liked the black rims, anyone had any luck getting GM to replace back to what you originally had?

·
Super Moderator
19,057 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
It depends on which wheels were on the vehicle when it came from the factory. That info should be on the Monroney sticker, or on the SPID label. If the selling dealer swapped wheels as part of the sale, the dealer alone would be responsible for matching them. In that case, GMC Customer Care can be used to apply pressure on the dealer to make things right for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
They are the original wheels from the factory. The manufacturer of those wheels is no longer a supplier, so they no longer offer that color? Or atleast that is what we are being told.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Is it the wheels with black inlay? Just curious. Got a pic?
Hoping you get taken care of quick! That's far too long already.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Further, if that were my car and had what you're dealing with, I would be going into the dealer weekly. You have waited far too long. Call the local paper, city favorite websites, alderman, ombudsman, and eventually a lawyer. And I'm not a litigious person!

21 - 40 of 77 Posts