GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here! I recently went for a car wash and I noticed the wheels are peeling. Looks like there’s some sort of clear coat on the darker part of the rims that’s peeling off.

·
Super Moderator
20,120 Posts
:welcome: to the forum. If your car has any of the factory 3/36 B2B warranty left, take it a dealer's service center and show them the condition. You would be eligible for warranty repair or replacement if it's found to be a defect and not some kind of damage. It will be an uphill battle getting GM to do anything for you if the new car warranty has expired.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Generally peeling after a wash means a harsh cleaner was used.

Did they clean the wheels or spray them before you went in. If so they may have used a cleaner that reacted with the wheels clear coat.

Odds are good it is not a warranty issue and it may be something you need to speak to the car wash about.

This is not a common issue and for all 4 wheels to fail at once generally means something was used on them that was not good.

Note the wheels on your vehicle were not made sequentially. They are made and shipped randomly so odds are slim it is a defect.

I had a dealer clean my mothers wheels with the wrong cleaner and the peeled like a sun burn. The dealer had to replace the wheels since it was their error.

·
Super Moderator
20,120 Posts
Odds are good it is not a warranty issue and it may be something you need to speak to the car wash about.

This is not a common issue and for all 4 wheels to fail at once generally means something was used on them that was not good.
There's a whole group of people on a Facebook page who would take issue with that. They've been to the dealer and are waiting for warranty replacement wheels to arrive. The affected vehicles are all new-design, in-warranty cars. Something's happening to the outer layer of the wheel's finish which appears like a defect on some styles used on (at least) 2018 and 2019 Acadias. Look at the spoke to the left of the 'G.' This is just one picture from the page:

Here's another:

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
That is the wheels I have on my '18. Have had it for just about a year and so far not noticing any issues.

Some of those spray on wheel cleaners are pretty harsh and I can see where it might harm some wheel coatings.

·
Super Moderator
20,120 Posts
That is the wheels I have on my '18. Have had it for just about a year and so far not noticing any issues.
That's great. There's little doubt about a factory defect shown in the pictures I posted. I'd be writing a warranty RO in a heartbeat. ;) Hopefully, it's just a small lot and doesn't happen to many wheels. It will be interesting to find out what happens when the OP presents their car to the dealer (if at all).

·
Registered
4 Posts
If your car has any of the factory 3/36 B2B warranty left, take it a dealer's service center and show them the condition. You would be eligible for warranty repair or replacement if it's found to be a defect and not some kind of damage. It will be an uphill battle getting GM to do anything for you if the new car warranty has expired.
It’s a lease so there’s about another year left on the warranty.

·
Super Moderator
20,120 Posts
It’s a lease so there’s about another year left on the warranty.
Don't forget - mileage matters, too. How many miles are on the car now?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I noticed it’s only one wheel as of right now. The car is babied hand car wash only. No machine wash’s allowed with my cars. Plus I’ve been going to the same one for years. Maybe 10+ years and none of my other cars have ever had this happen.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
20,120 Posts
I noticed it’s only one wheel as of right now. The car is babied hand car wash only. No machine wash’s allowed with my cars. Plus I’ve been going to the same one for years. Maybe 10+ years and none of my other cars have ever had this happen.
Let us know what your service writer has to say about it. I'd write a warranty ticket for that finish peeling. (As a former GM-trained service writer, I can say stuff about it with confidence.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Let us know what your service writer has to say about it. I'd write a warranty ticket for that finish peeling. (As a former GM-trained service writer, I can say stuff about it with confidence.)
Will do. I really didn’t have any plans on bringing it in because I figured that’s on me but now when I go for my oil change next week I’m going to bring it to their attention.

·
Super Moderator
20,120 Posts
Will do. I really didn’t have any plans on bringing it in because I figured that’s on me but now when I go for my oil change next week I’m going to bring it to their attention.
It doesn't look like either road damage, or a chemical attack of the finish. That appears to be poor prep work when the clear coat was applied, or something else happened in the application/curing process. You shouldn't have to assume any responsibility for such condition. Good luck.

·
Registered
111 Posts
There's a whole group of people on a Facebook page who would take issue with that. They've been to the dealer and are waiting for warranty replacement wheels to arrive. The affected vehicles are all new-design, in-warranty cars. Something's happening to the outer layer of the wheel's finish which appears like a defect on some styles used on (at least) 2018 and 2019 Acadias. Look at the spoke to the left of the 'G.' This is just one picture from the page:

Here's another:

You and your face book friends are not Denali wheels as stated here.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If it is one wheel and from what is shown it is a defect and should be covered.

From your first post I got the impression it was all the wheels.

As for our other poster here those wheels are entirely different deal. They really have no bearing on the wheels you have. Different style, different size different model etc.

You should have no issue having that covered. The material did not adhere to the corners of the spokes. It was just a bad coating job. It will be covered under workmanship.

I thought it was just the clear coating

Thanks for the photos that made it clear.

·
Super Moderator
20,120 Posts
You and your face book friends are not Denali wheels as stated here.
A wheel with a flaw is a wheel with a flaw. ... Period. ... End of story. It doesn't matter on what build the wheel is mounted, or what style it is.

·
Registered
111 Posts
A wheel with a flaw is a wheel with a flaw. ... Period. ... End of story. It doesn't matter on what build the wheel is mounted, or what style it is.
Not the end of story mr I think I know more than anyone else on the web site.

#1 The truth is everything and anything can be defective.
#2 the wheel you showed was not even the same wheel, apples to oranges.
If you are going to v e like that why not post a wheel from an Explorer while you are at it?

It does matter what style, what model and what vehicle as it being different can apply different potential issues that can be common or not common.

Case in point the Chrome wheels on the Denali truck have well known issues while the painted wheels are very uncommon to experience an issue.

My god you puts around here like you own the site and chase off most of th3 folks here. Even the Terrain site has more active members.

If you just posted when you really have something worth to saying you would save a lot of typing.

I had you on ignore I think you may go back there as you are wasting a lot of space.

I get the feeling you would argue with the doctor operating on you given the chance.

·
Super Moderator
20,120 Posts
I get the feeling you would argue with the doctor operating on you given the chance.
:hilarious: It has happened once. Guess what? I won! The story's a bit lengthy and really funny, but is a little risqué for the forum. :devil:

This forum is about Acadias. The thread is about the nature of a flaw on the finish layer of a wheel and how to get the wheel repaired or replaced. Please stick to the point. Gobbledygook posts don't do anything to help anyone.

Ignores aren't counted any more, so do so if you want. I don't care.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
My God you puts around here like you own the site.
In case you had not noticed, Speleos is a forum moderator......way better than being the owner.

I'm been a member for about 5 years. Also a member of several other forums and FB auto groups. This forum by and large has the least traffic of any of the others.

I think it has more to do with the nature of Acadia owners than anything to do with existing members.

This forum seems to get more first time posters looking to get their out of warranty vehicle fixed for free than any of the other forums where I am a member.

Many seem to self depose when they don't get the warm and fuzzy responses they are seeking.

·
Super Moderator
20,120 Posts
I'm been a member for about 5 years. Also a member of several other forums and FB auto groups. This forum by and large has the least traffic of any of the others.
This forum almost always has higher participation from both members and guests than any of Autoguide's other related forums. That's checked each time someone makes a comment about it. Can't say anything about forums hosted by others. There's no personal reason to go on those sites.

On-topic footnote: The owner of the car in one of the pictures from FB was being given the runaround by a dealer over warranty coverage of the wheel problem. It happened that one of the page lurkers is a GM corporate rep. After he stepped into the owner's discussion, the owner received a call from his dealer saying replacement wheels are on order and should be available shortly. All will be done under the new car warranty policy. The corporation still cares about its customers. ;)

1 - 20 of 129 Posts