GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with my wheels and was curious if anyone else has this problem. Look at the pictures, these are not scratches, or etching. These "viens" are smooth and are under the clearcoat.

My dealer states they will have to get GMC rep to approve replacing all 4 wheels.

It is strange

Thanks,
Scott
---------------
2007 Summit White SLT-2

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have not seen anything like that on any other acadia, if it was me i would demand new wheels,if that does not work get with GM and do the conflict resolution. It worked for my son on his denali with bad tires. Good luck.

·
Registered
384 Posts
It almost looks like what happens when you leave that clear plastic film that you are supposed to peel off, on there. Not saying that is the case , just looks like it. I left the film on the door frame, where it says GMC, where you step in and out and it looked awful until I peeled it off. DUH!

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is what we call in the aviation industry as filiform corrosion I have seen it on wheels that are say 5 years old and have been through 4 or 5 seasons of salt here in the Midwest but not on a 1 year old car I would take it back to the dealer.
Rob

·
Registered
384 Posts
Sticker500: Keep us up to date on this one. As far as I know, I have not seen anyone else on here with that issue. Real interested as to what happens.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I definately will let everyone know. I think RJDRIVER is right, I just did some research on Filiform Corrosion and the previous owners lived in Punta Gorda, Florida, so the salt content and very humid air could have been the contributing factor.

This is a quote I found from the NASA website "This type of corrosion occurs under painted or plated surfaces when moisture permeates the coating. Lacquers and "quick-dry" paints are most susceptible to the problem"

Thanks everyone!
Scott

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update:

I received a call today from the dealership and the GM rep would not approve replacing my wheels. He did approve refinishing them, which would involve sending them off somewhere and they would have my vehicle for 10 days with no option for providing me interim transportation.

I am going to take this to the orignal dealer I bought it from and see what they say, and if that doesn't work I will take it to GM direct.

Just wanted to provide an update.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update:

I just thought I would provide an update. Basically I am at a standstill with the wheels. The dealer I purchased the car from which is Marlow Werner in Punta Gorda FL, is not coming through as promised when I purchased the car. I would steer clear of this dealership for anything because they won't even return my calls and I have been very patient with them. Even GMC stated it is the original dealer who sold me the vehicles responsibility to handle this.

Unfortunately this is a negative of purchasing a vehicle out of state. So as of now, I will just have to do without the Acadia for however long it takes to refinish the wheels. Should I try another dealer? Can I take it to any GM dealer or must it be a GMC dealer?

My 2nd row bench seat is broke now as well. the 60% side won't slide and pop the seat up anymore, its like its jammed or something.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Have you contacted the 1 800 number for GM customer service and complained. You should. Give them a history of your problems and how they have not been handled to your satisfaction. You might get some results then. Keep us up to date. i thinkk there might be a TSB on the seat mechanisim. Did you try looking it up here on forum?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I did contact GM directly and they are willing to refinish them, but they will not provide any loaner vehicle or a spare set of rims, etc. The original dealership (Marlow Werner in Punta Gorda, FL) who told me they would take care of it has told me and I quote "I have spoken with Kevin and the bottom line is that there is nothing more we can do for you". Kevin is the new car manager and finance manager.

The worst part is the dealership here (Montgomery, AL) doesn't even know where to send the wheels to, and has no idea how long this is going to take.

As far as the seat, they did fix it today. At first they told me the 60% portion of the bench didn't fold up like the 40% portion did. I said that is interesting because it used to work! They took it to the back and an hour later they had it fixed. A cable had come loose.

They have a lot to work out on these vehicles, but overall I do like the car.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I would keep fighting this, 10 days without your vehicle and no offer for a loaner is unacceptable. You bought the car becasue you need to use it. Maybe I can understand for a day or two you could find an alternate means of transportation, but this is two weeks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the reply!

I am going another route now and will let y'all know if that works. In the meantime I intend to let everyone know the truth about the dealer in Punta Gorda, FL. I have already followed up on eBay with an addendum to the feedback. I am going to post the facts in every GMC, Pontiac, Buick forum I know. They are very dishonest and the worst part is the communications was not good. They would state they would call me back and then would not. If they had not told me they would handle it when I left the lot, I would never have left their lot and headed for my home state.

The story continues..........

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just thought I would let everyone know, I finally got all my wheels replaced.

It was as simply as going to local Chevrolet dealer and I asked for the service manager. He was very understanding and said he would do some research and call me back. He called me back a few days later and stated he ordered the wheels.

They were installed today and problem solved.

Thanks for all the help :thumb:

Scott

·
Registered
730 Posts
That is great news. :thumb:

·
Registered
249 Posts
sticker500 said:
I just thought I would let everyone know, I finally got all my wheels replaced.

It was as simply as going to local Chevrolet dealer and I asked for the service manager. He was very understanding and said he would do some research and call me back. He called me back a few days later and stated he ordered the wheels.

They were installed today and problem solved.

Thanks for all the help :thumb:

Scott
Great news! You might want to share this experience with your dealer in FLA. :thumb:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, I am satisfied that my local Chevy dealer stepped up and handled it.

I have had several Ebay potential buyers who were interested in buying from the seller who sold me my vehicle, contact me about my experience. I have told each one of them the truth and shared my story. I hope it costs them many deals for what they did to me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
YES, I have the same problem on our 07 Acadia, purchased in July of 07. About 6 months ago I noticed slight corrosion beginning on the optional 19" wheels on ours. The corrosion is identical in appearance to your wheels, only much worse now. The corrosion appears to be under the clear coat, and interestingly is only on the face of the spokes. It appears to start at the corner where the side of the spokes meet the face of the spokes, and "worms" it's way outward.

Today I dropped off my Acadia at the dealer for some work to finish up other warranty issues and brought this up to them. I'll report back what I find out, but even before reading this I planned to request replacement wheels. Thanks for sharing your experience and photos. When I get there tomorrow I'll take some photos of these.

Rich

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
richmz said:
YES, I have the same problem on our 07 Acadia, purchased in July of 07. About 6 months ago I noticed slight corrosion beginning on the optional 19" wheels on ours. The corrosion is identical in appearance to your wheels, only much worse now. The corrosion appears to be under the clear coat, and interestingly is only on the face of the spokes. It appears to start at the corner where the side of the spokes meet the face of the spokes, and "worms" it's way outward.

Today I dropped off my Acadia at the dealer for some work to finish up other warranty issues and brought this up to them. I'll report back what I find out, but even before reading this I planned to request replacement wheels. Thanks for sharing your experience and photos. When I get there tomorrow I'll take some photos of these.

Rich
What part of the country do you live in? or what country do you live in if not U.S.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I should have mentioned........Yep, Florida, central east coast, about 5 miles from the ocean.

I did my research last night and realize the filiform corrosion is more likely to happen in humid environments.

Rich

·
Registered
39 Posts
Update and pictures............

Dealer and I have been haggling this out for quite a while now. First the Regional Service Rep said to get them repaired/recoated/restored at a wheel shop under warranty. I explained I wanted to know their process and to talk to the rep and to the wheel shop. Finally, the dealer got to the rep again. I sent these pictures at their request. Since we began, the filiform corrosion has grow to a very noticeable, unsightly and ugly mess.....

http://s684.photobucket.com/albums/vv208/richmz/Misc/GMC%20Acadia%20Wheel%20Corrosion/

The rep has now decided that new wheels may be a better option. Now........will the new wheels do this in a year or two? :shrug:

More to come........Rich

1 - 20 of 30 Posts