GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I know I don't have Chrome 22's on my Acadia, but I still like to keep things appearing nice on it.

Took the Acadia in for Wheel rotation and alignment this morning. When it was done, and I went to the parking lot, I circled checking for damage on the wheels. (have had damage before and not notice it till a few days later. Hard to say anything then)
So I notice the lug nuts look a little odd... ALL the lug nuts have some type of damage to them, some small, some more noticable. Scrathces and gouges, almost like they used the wrong size socket on the wrench.

I went back in a spoke to the manager, and came out and looked. He agreed to take care of it, and has an entire set of lugs on order from dealership and will have to return in a week to have them put on. I apologized if he thought I was being picky, but told him this had not happened the other times I brought the Acadia in for this. He said he was not mad at me but was irritated that car manufacturers use soft metals on the lugs..... He also said he wasn't sure how to avoid these marks in the future.

What do you guys think? Photos aren't the best.

THIS one is the worst, look how it rounded out the very edge. It actually has sharp burrs on it[/color]

·
Registered
42 Posts
Your lug nuts look bad that is for sure. I always thought there was a thin chrome metal cover the screws on to a proper lug nut. My Chevy S-10 had those It was a pain in the butt taking them off before changing a tire. I have had my Acadia into the dealer twice to have the tire rotated and I have not noticed any damage to the lugs. If the Acadia does in fact have removable covers, perhaps the shop you took your truck to didn't bother to take them off first.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
IIRC, there is a thin metal cover over the actual lug nut, but it's not removable. They are pretty soft though and easy to damage if the tire changer is careless or sloppy.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I've never looked at ours in detail, but what Geo said makes sense. I know the Camaro/Firebird in the 80's-90's used the weird nuts that had threads to accept a plastic trim nut. Seems like that would be a far better idea than putting a soft metal cover on them.

Using air tools (as all shops I've seen do) compounds the problem, especially if it is a Metric vs SAE socket issue- many are close but not exactly the same size. I suspect the Acadia uses Metric size nuts.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
GeoHawk said:
IIRC, there is a thin metal cover over the actual lug nut, but it's not removable. They are pretty soft though and easy to damage if the tire changer is careless or sloppy.
My thoughts exactly; at least they are replacing them for you

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is what your tire shop should be using.

"Soft Socket 19mm for Lug Nuts Bolts"
"Use our 19mm Soft Socket to protect the finish of your lug nuts or wheel bolts."

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kweb325 said:
This is what your tire shop should be using.

"Soft Socket 19mm for Lug Nuts Bolts"
"Use our 19mm Soft Socket to protect the finish of your lug nuts or wheel bolts."
Maybe I should buy one of those and take it with me... I am wondering how many of the new ones will be damaged by the same careless mechanic.
I feel very lucky that they are replacing them. I was expecting the Mgr to say wear and tear, sorry not gonna repalce them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
There is a couple of problems with that 19mm soft socket. It is only for hand use- no impact guns. It has a foot pound rating of 95ftlbs. That is much to low for the torque of a lugnut on an Acadia. I think 140ftlbs. is the amount for the Acadia. There are other aluminum sockets with protetctive sleeves which work very well for this application.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
djkson said:
There is a couple of problems with that 19mm soft socket. It is only for hand use- no impact guns. It has a foot pound rating of 95ftlbs. That is much to low for the torque of a lugnut on an Acadia. I think 140ftlbs. is the amount for the Acadia. There are other aluminum sockets with protetctive sleeves which work very well for this application.
good point. Also the 19mm is not the size for the Acadias, nor the 21mm. Anyone know what size they are, and if there is a proper socket with protective sleeves that will work on the Acadia?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I measured ours & they are 22mm or .866, so a 13/16 (.8125") socket is too small and a 7/8" (.875") socket is too large. Maybe the tech used a 7/8 socket on yours, 22mm may be an odd size. Kind of like the flywheel bolts on the Gen 3 V8- they are 11mm, not the standard 10 or 12mm.

·
Registered
30 Posts
When I rotate our tires at home, I do it by hand no air impact gun. I use a 22mm shallow socket on a 1/2" drive rachet, takes abit more time but I have yet to damage one.

I would be upset if the shop damaged my tires/lug nuts. Just be glad they are fixing the problem as I'm sure there are some out there that would not of.

That socket set looks good and I do have some ofther soft type socket. They are good but only at a certain torque level most are under 50ftlbs

Matt

·
Registered
427 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
I've never looked at ours in detail, but what Geo said makes sense. I know the Camaro/Firebird in the 80's-90's used the weird nuts that had threads to accept a plastic trim nut. Seems like that would be a far better idea than putting a soft metal cover on them.

Using air tools (as all shops I've seen do) compounds the problem, especially if it is a Metric vs SAE socket issue- many are close but not exactly the same size. I suspect the Acadia uses Metric size nuts.
That's why you should get your tires changed at Costco ...

http://tires.costco.com/TSSapp/TireLanding.xhtml

They hand-torque the lugnuts.
They fill with nitrogen at no additional cost
They include the road-hazard warranty at no additional cost
They include free rotations, balancing and repairs for the life of the tire.

Good stuff - all my cars get their tires from Costco when the OEM's are due to be replaced. Can't beat them!

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Thanks dmurphy- I didn't know they did all that good stuff. :thumb:

Only issue then becomes finding our relatively hard to find tires. I visited the linked website and got this for a 2009 Acadia SLT:
We're sorry, but we cannot locate any tires in our online inventory to meet your vehicle specifications. Please check with your local Costco tire center as they may have tires in stock that fit these specifications.

Perhaps the tire section manager could order a set? I know Goodyear can do this since when I used to maintain cars for the state, we had a Mercury that used one off tires. The local GY dealer could order a couple sets so we had spares on hand. If there is any Lambda population in your area, seems like it would make sense to stock them.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To followup, I got the lugnut kit and took it with me to the tire shop. They had the new lugs, to be honest some of the NEW lugs were dented on the rounded ends. They were just piled into a box and shipped out, so they all bounced around denting one another. I know these are just lug nuts but that is frustrating.
The Tech put the new lugs on with the sockets I got. He didn't appear happy that I was asking him to do this, but I explained his managers lack of knowledge in how to avoid the damage to the lugs, and told him that these sockets may help and that I would appreciate it if he used them.
These look better then the ones that were damaged pretty badly by the last tech.

They also gave me back all the old lugs.. Some are not that badly damaged, so if anyone needs a wheel lug nut for the 18's let me know. I think I have a few extras I can send out for the cost of shipping and packaging :thumb:

·
Registered
540 Posts
dmurphy said:
That's why you should get your tires changed at Costco ...

http://tires.costco.com/TSSapp/TireLanding.xhtml

They hand-torque the lugnuts.
They fill with nitrogen at no additional cost
They include the road-hazard warranty at no additional cost
They include free rotations, balancing and repairs for the life of the tire.

Good stuff - all my cars get their tires from Costco when the OEM's are due to be replaced. Can't beat them!
It depends on who puts the tires on at Costco. I had rims damaged with the tire machine and wheel wieght pliers. They gouged one rim with the tire machine and marked up all rims using the wrong wheel wieght pliers. Costco made it right but it was a pain. Every person I speak to never had a problem getting tires there . I was the exception. Costco does carry the proper wheel wieghts which I liked. I had tires balanced at another tire store and on the way home I heard a few bangs and it was the wheel wieght hitting the body of the truck. They rebalance all four tires again but the wieghts still were the wrong type. As far as hand torque the lugs yes & no. They usually use a torque stick on the air gun first ,then hand torque. This is ok. I have seen them just use the air gun (without torque stick) ,then hand torque which is not correct. Most likely overtorqued by the time the torque wrench is used.

I find getting good wheel/tire/alignment service without rim(aluminum) damage hard to do even if the proper equipment is use.

Bobby

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I had my tire work done at Discount Tire; they glued the weights onto the rim; I think I like that method better than weights and pliers

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
jsimms said:
I had my tire work done at Discount Tire; they glued the weights onto the rim; I think I like that method better than weights and pliers
Nothing makes me more mad then the damage to wheels from outer wheel weights. I like how the Acadia has inside rim weights. Just a matter of making sure that the tire shop reuses the same method when replacing the tires.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
Thanks dmurphy- I didn't know they did all that good stuff. :thumb:

Only issue then becomes finding our relatively hard to find tires. I visited the linked website and got this for a 2009 Acadia SLT:
We're sorry, but we cannot locate any tires in our online inventory to meet your vehicle specifications. Please check with your local Costco tire center as they may have tires in stock that fit these specifications.

Perhaps the tire section manager could order a set? I know Goodyear can do this since when I used to maintain cars for the state, we had a Mercury that used one off tires. The local GY dealer could order a couple sets so we had spares on hand. If there is any Lambda population in your area, seems like it would make sense to stock them.
One of the things that drives me nuts about Costco (and I /love/ Costco) is that their online website has no bearing on reality. What they show online has nothing to do with what's in-warehouse. You just need to give them a call or stop in - they've got a lot more resources available in store than you see online ...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts