GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Not exactly sure what your looking for but maybe this helps.

Hub assembly to knuckle bolts (Front & Rear, FWD & AWD): "Tighten the (3)bolts to 140 N·m (103 lb ft)."
Front wheel drive shaft nut: "Tighten to 235 N·m (173 lb ft)."
For AWD models, Rear wheel drive shaft nut: "Tighten the nut to 205 N·m (151 lb ft)."

·
Registered
824 Posts
No problem. What prompted you to replace your bearings? How many miles?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
77k miles and I am getting a front wheel rumble from the pass side I can hear it all the time but it is the worst at high speeds turning left. Bought it used and at 70k they replaced the lower ball joint on the same side I am thinking previous owner must have hit a curb or something.

·
Registered
824 Posts
maroguy1 said:
Any chance anyone would know what size the nut is on the end of the axle shaft?
M27X2X18 - Part Number 10257766

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Many of the major auto parts stores have a free tool loaning system. You can "borrow" the tool you need by placing a deposit on the tool which will pay for it if you don't return it. When you return the tool, you get your full deposit back.

I have seen wheel axle socket sets (various sizes usually 27mm-36mm or so) so there is no guessing on your part or returning for a different size if the first one you got was wrong. The axle nut also usually requires a higher torque setting than most home diy mechanics have a torque wrench for. These torque wrenches can also be found being loaned at the parts stores.

Good luck on your repair. I have done at least 6 on our various GM cars and trucks over the years, and it is usually pretty straight forward with no surprises.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi, yes i have done lots of them as well. Every GM vehicle I have owned in the last 10 years has needed one. According to lamping it is 173 ft pounds shouldn't be that big of a deal for a standard torque wrench. I called around and napa and advance auto doesn't do a loaner system but auto zone does so I will have to stop there. Otherwise they are only like 13$.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
You might want to check your torque wrench before picking up the other items. A standard 1/2 inch drive torque wrench usually only goes to 150 ft lbs. You will either need a 3/4 wrench or a multiplier to put on your 1/2 inch wrench.

·
Registered
824 Posts
maroguy1 said:
That part # looks like a 34mm
I came up with the same results. The specs I listed was for the threads of the shaft.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I gave it a shot. I couldn't get the axle splines separated from the hub. Dealership pulled the axle put it in a press and still wouldn't budge so we have a new axle shaft and wheel bearing in it now.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I would have removed the 3 bolts then go and rent a hub puller with a slide hammer from autozone first.
Like this:

The fsm says to do it with this hub puller(autozone has this also for rent):

Not really sure how a press wouldn't do the trick. Removing the whole axle sounds like overkill. That isn't typically that difficult of a job.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That was exactly how my setup looked!! And I didn't have a problem getting the bearing off the spindle. The splines were seized inside the hub I mushroomed the bolt in the bottom pic even after heating it a couple of times. The put it back together and took it in. They then tried everything I did and still didn't budge so at that point u have to remove the axle and try the press and at 40k lbs it still wouldn't separate from the hub.

·
Registered
824 Posts
maroguy1 said:
That was exactly how my setup looked!! And I didn't have a problem getting the bearing off the spindle. The splines were seized inside the hub I mushroomed the bolt in the bottom pic even after heating it a couple of times. The put it back together and took it in. They then tried everything I did and still didn't budge so at that point u have to remove the axle and try the press and at 40k lbs it still wouldn't separate from the hub.
If that's the case, I'd think there was some defect from the factory. Like an over-torqued axle nut, which would case the bearing to fail pre-maturely. Bearings should last 10+ yrs and 100k+. You might want to explore that avenue with your dealer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The axle nut wasn't over torqued. I had no problem getting it off. Yah they took care of it because of the defect. Doesn't help this vehicle has been in michigan and now wisconsin so I am sure it has seen its fair share of salt. I had a 13 malibu as a loaner and after 84 miles I only used 2 gallons kinda miss the mileage of a car and the my link radio was nice too.

·
Registered
824 Posts
maroguy1 said:
The axle nut wasn't over torqued. I had no problem getting it off. Yah they took care of it because of the defect. Doesn't help this vehicle has been in michigan and now wisconsin so I am sure it has seen its fair share of salt. I had a 13 malibu as a loaner and after 84 miles I only used 2 gallons kinda miss the mileage of a car and the my link radio was nice too.
I just changed the wheel bearings on my 15 yr old GM Saturn and had no issues. That car lived in Ohio for 11 or 12 yrs. I'm gonna blame it on the parts. 42 mpg sounds amazing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts