GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anybody have a wheel alignment done on their Acadia? I had mine at a local shop where I went to get the inspection done and they didn't have some expensive adapter to hook the Acadia up to their machine. They said because of the wheel design and how it goes in near the lugs that they can't hook up to it.

Did anybody have any look anywhere besides the dealer? Looks like it's time to make some phone calls.....

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
MedicRxDoc said:
Did anybody have a wheel alignment done on their Acadia? I had mine at a local shop where I went to get the inspection done and they didn't have some expensive adapter to hook the Acadia up to their machine. They said because of the wheel design and how it goes in near the lugs that they can't hook up to it.

Did anybody have any look anywhere besides the dealer? Looks like it's time to make some phone calls.....

Thanks
Chris
I have not. I am curious though. Why would you need a wheel alignment. I find that with car based chassis like the Acadia is on, that it is very rare to ever need an alignment. Is your Acadia pulling?

·
Registered
812 Posts
i usually do my wheel alignment in my cars after spring to prepare for summer driving and after fall to prepare for winter driving. roughly every 6000 miles. With the amount of potholes during the winter season in my area, its kinda a neccessity. It also saves unnecessary tire wear cause by misalignment. Might go to a Discount tire branch and will check if they have any problem attaching their equiptment on the wheel....

·
Registered
956 Posts
I only have a wheel alignment if I notice the car pulling to left or right or if my tires are wearing unevenly. I do rotate the tires about every 4000 miles and I always get excellent wear out of them. I wouldn't hesitate to get an alignment if I thought it needed it though.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I agree that if it is pulling, or if there is wear, that it should be done. But unlike the cars from the 60s, 70s, or 80s, the cars of today just very rarely go out of alignment. My 1997 Grand Prix went 154,000 miles without an alignment and I only needed to replace the tires one time.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No...My Acadia isn't pulling. It is something like others I do in the spring and the fall. I was just at the garage for my yearly state inspection and was going to have it done while it was there. If it were pulling, you definately need to get an alignment ASAP.

True, it may not be needed. But like changing the oil every 5,000 miles, it gives a good feeling inside knowing that all was done to make the vehicle last as long as possible.

I don't remember anything in the owner's manual about it, but I don't have mine with me. Does the manual say anything about it?

I have found other places that say they can do it, but I am not sure I trust them from what other people have told me. I will only go to a shop that I know I can trust, that's why I went where I did. I will hold out until spring.

Chris

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I never heard of getting so many alignments, rotating tires that often would be a bigger benefit.
I have 70k on my element, only had it aligned when I replaced tires.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That TruAlign product is what is needed. That is the machine they have, just not the $3,000 adaptor.

Is my thinking of spring and fall alignment of the old age? I am not old, just have old mentors ;D

Chris

·
Registered
956 Posts
I rotate my tires often because I drive mountain roads a lot and this wears the outside edge of the front tires rapidly. If I rotate them I get more even tire wear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts