GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, since this is my very first post, I guess I'll talk a bit. My wife and I have been looking at a Lambda platform for quite a while now for a replacement to our 2003 GMC Sierra HD Crew Cab pickup. We needed a platform to transport our growing kids and their friends around to various events. We decided on an eight seater started our quest for our new vehicle. Under consideration were the typical SUV / CUV's such as the Volvo, Mazda and of course the General. Ford's are not allowed in the family as I am currently a GMS employee and well, becasue they are Fords. So we started our search and visiting websites such as this one in search of all the information we could find.

A few weeks ago after visiting a few local dealerships, we decided to order a Saturn Outlook XR, wrote a hold check and began the wait. Wll since we were waiting, why not go on vacation?

On vacation, I decided to look up a few dealerships in the GMS database (for Saturn and GMC) and the of course, the prices, features and colors of their units on hand. We decided on a few features that were the deal breakers. It had to be an SLT-1, Summit White, with a minimum of ultrasonics sensors (wife) and the trailering package (me). Leather color had to be ebony or titanium as well. We visited a few dealerships (in between our trips to the beach, Seaworld, Legoland, etc) and found a few Acadia's with some or all of our options, but the salesperson was also a factor. If we felt that they didn't represent customer service, we will not deal with them (a.k.a. mean people suck, just out to make a buck, etc).

Well, we were about to give up, when I did one more search. An Acadia popped up at a dealership that didn't previously have a match for us. We made the journey to go look at it that night after I called to verify that the vehicle was indeed there. It had all of our requirements, plus the complete convinience package, DVD, the cargo package and the California luxury package. It was also still wrapped in plastic without the PDI being done and 5 miles on the odometer. Perfect. We wrote the check and picked up the next day. So now I own a Summit White Acadia with Titanium leather and 19" Wheels. I can't tell you the exact price, but I can tell you it was less than $34K less tax and licensing.

So now the question was how to get it home the 450+ miles without damaging it in it's prestine condition. Enter Lowe's and about $9.87.

I actually covered both fenders and added some neat purple tape graphics but forgot to take the pictures. Anyway, we love our Acadia and look forward to good times here on Acadiaforum! :thumb:

P.S. Almost bought this XC90, but couldn't figure out how to open the Lego doors! :blob:

·
Registered
956 Posts
Pretty car. I bought mine from the same company that owns the dealer you purchased yours at. I am confused though as you mentioned that you could not buy a Ford but you were considering a Volvo. Isn't Volvo owned by Ford?

·
Registered
389 Posts
My friend just had to buy a car on vacation (bought an Odyssey - lame-o!) when her husband couldn't McGuyver and duck tape there van back together again. I should show them your pictures!!

Have fun with your Acadia!!!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Congratulations! Hope you had fun at Legoland - looks like you had better weather than we had when we were there last year.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
big bear craig said:
Isn't Volvo owned by Ford?
Correct! Eliminate the Volvo (but I have admit, it's really nice). ::)

·
Registered
389 Posts
The XC90 - That was the first one we drove when we started driving new cars a few months ago. I have coveted that car for a long time. I drooled every time I saw one in the carpool line. Then we went and drove one. The 2nd row is small, the 3rd row is smaller, and terribly difficult to fold. I dont know how that is a functional car for any family of more than 1, maybe 2 children. You could not have more. It was ellinated for those reasons. My husband would say it was elliminated for the $46,000 price tag. But, we did get a super fancy christmas card from the Volvo/Jag/Land Rover/Audi/Astin Martin fancy pants auto group!!!

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Congrats and best of luck with the new ride. Did you have any problems getting the duck tape off? I would have been worried that it would have left some tape residue on the vehicle after having it bake on in the sun.

·
Registered
148 Posts
thats just blue painters tape, not duct tape. I use that stuff all the time on the trim when i am polishing cars it comes off fine and leaves no residue. Nice job on the tape ! You should leave that on all the time and cover the whole car!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Acadia said:
big bear craig said:
Isn't Volvo owned by Ford?
Correct! Eliminate the Volvo (but I have admit, it's really nice). ::)
I considered the Volvo, but talked to numerous people who had owned them and had lots of problems with their Volvo's. I was also told they are very expensive to repair.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I don't understand the need for the tape. What was the issue with driving it 450 miles? Congrats on the new Acadia, but confused about the tape.

·
Registered
148 Posts
bug splatter and rock chips on a brand new car!!! I BACK THE TAPE! You want to get it into your garage in perfect condition so you can enjoy it for a little bit! Good idea.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
gnarboots11 said:
bug splatter and rock chips on a brand new car!!! I BACK THE TAPE! You want to get it into your garage in perfect condition so you can enjoy it for a little bit! Good idea.
^^^Exactly the reason for the blue painters tape. We had a lot of purple (delicate surfaces) on there as well but after a few test miles, it came right off or peeled back and we looked like a piñata.

Truly, by nature, I am an Old School VW fanatic and peruse the VWVortex boards a lot. I started off with air cooled Type 1's and then went into MK1 watercooled. But that's another story. But the idea for the blue tape came from a thread I had remembered from there. If you have the time, read this (it's very entertaining): http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2918517

P.S. The Painters tape came off, no problems, no residue, even after driving it in 100+ degree weather and with a hot hood.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Since I spent my childhood and college days in Redlands, my only question is, "you drove 450 miles to go to a vacation in Moreno Valley :confused:???"

How was your gas milage on the way home?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sandman said:
Since I spent my childhood and college days in Redlands, my only question is, "you drove 450 miles to go to a vacation in Moreno Valley :confused:???"

How was your gas milage on the way home?
Actually, we were on vacation at our timeshare at the Lawrence Welk Resort below Temecula off the 15. It gave us a chance to "relax" at all the theme parks and the beaches in the San Diego area. I'm now on vacation from my vacation but back to work on Monday.

Gas mileage back was great coming back. We made it on a little more than 1 tank full. Very economical considering the Sierra was a 6.0 with 4.11 gears and averaged 10 MPG.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts