GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what tire pressure everyone was running. I've been running about 32 psi in mine. Didn't know if that was too low or about right.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Should say the recommended tire pressure on the sticker in the driver's side door jam. That's what I will be running when I pick mine up-

·
Registered
659 Posts
35 is the recommended pressure listed on the factory door sticker for the stock 18 inch wheel/tire combo and that is what I've run for the year and a half that I've had it. Tire wear measures very evenly across the tread at that so far.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I haven't checked mine with a gauge yet but the TPMS indicates they are 33/34 psi. The ride is good.

Bobby

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have the 19's and run 35 to 38 most of the time. Be sure to check the pressure in the winter because they will be a little lower then in the summer.

·
Registered
427 Posts
... I leave them at 35psi.... except when I took my Acadia to a dealership for an oil change. They (without telling me) reduced pressure to 30psi.

Set my TPMS off when it was cold and got down to 28psi.

... one would think a GMC dealership's technicians would be educated enough to either a) Know what the proper pressure for a GMC vehicle is; or b) know where to look for it. I don't fill tires for a living and even *I* knew where to find the correct pressure.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had an oil change place set mine at 30 also. Checked mine about once a month myself but if you sign up for the OnStar once a month check it will tell you what your tires and other things are at. That was good for me as I had forgotten that the pressure goes down with cold weather.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I set mine at 35, but they don't stay there long. They get down to 34, 33 pretty quick. I like the ride at 35 the best so I try to stay on it.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
35 psi.

Pressure changes with temp; goes down when colder.
If you fill to 35 psi at 50*F, and temp drops to 10*F,
pressure will also go down.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Max tire pressure for our Acadia and Mustang is 44lbs as stated on the tire. I keep 40-42psi on the Acadia as on the Mustang. Blizzak snow tires on the Mustang are kept at 42-44 lbs to keep the tread open to the max. for bite and max wear too. Ride is harsher at these higher pressures, but will get max. wear in today's world.

If you want to go by the recommened door sticker psi, okay, but I prefer what our local family owned front end shop told me some time ago and still holds by it today. They are right and I will continue to buy replacement tires from them. [Long story short] PS: They are in the business of buying tires from tirerack, mounting...etc. too, but don't advertise as such.

To each his own on maintaining proper tire pressure for max. tire wear.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I've noticed my TPMS always reports tire pressure 1-3 PSI less than what I get when I check it with a manual tire gauge. I've tried a couple different tire gauges and get similar results.

For example, it was about 7 degrees when I came out of church this morning and the DIC was warning me that tire pressures were low - all 4 tires at 28 PSI. I stopped at a gas station and filled them up to 35 per my manual gauge. When I jumped in the car, all four tires now showed only 32 PSI.

Anyone else notice this on theirs?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
teetertotter said:
Max tire pressure for our Acadia and Mustang is 44lbs as stated on the tire. I keep 40-42psi on the Acadia as on the Mustang. Blizzak snow tires on the Mustang are kept at 42-44 lbs to keep the tread open to the max. for bite and max wear too. Ride is harsher at these higher pressures, but will get max. wear in today's world.

If you want to go by the recommened door sticker psi, okay, but I prefer what our local family owned front end shop told me some time ago and still holds by it today. They are right and I will continue to buy replacement tires from them. [Long story short] PS: They are in the business of buying tires from tirerack, mounting...etc. too, but don't advertise as such.

To each his own on maintaining proper tire pressure for max. tire wear.
Look at the required pressure on the drivers door jam. I believe it is 36 psi. This is the pressure that the tires should have. Anything other than what the door jam says is less safe and not recommended.

loach said:
I've noticed my TPMS always reports tire pressure 1-3 PSI less than what I get when I check it with a manual tire gauge. I've tried a couple different tire gauges and get similar results.

For example, it was about 7 degrees when I came out of church this morning and the DIC was warning me that tire pressures were low - all 4 tires at 28 PSI. I stopped at a gas station and filled them up to 35 per my manual gauge. When I jumped in the car, all four tires now showed only 32 PSI.

Mine is dead on with my digital gauge.

·
Registered
659 Posts
loach said:

Mine is always within a half pound of my digital guage.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The wheels show the "Max" pressure that they can take, not the normal running pressure. Go by the door stated pressure for normal driving. That is according to my dealership's service department manager, btw.

Me, I personally run a bit higher than recommended. Currently my tires are at 38. I do this because I find that highway speeds are more controllable and the vehicle more stable at a slightly higher pressure. With the large wheels on these SUVs, it's hard to tell the difference of ride quality in pressures between the recommended and max anyway. Though I've got 18" wheels, with 19" or 20" it may be more noticable.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I run at 36-37 based on a calibrated manual tire pressure gauge, this time of year is tough in my neck of the woods because of the dramatic temperature changes over the past few weeks (19 degrees to 65 degrees)...so I am the anal guy checking my tire pressure weekly.

I have noticed the TPMS runs about 1 pound higher than my tire pressure gauge.

I did notice a decent drop (1 mpg) in fuel consumption on my trip back from upstate New York because my tires were down 3-4 pounds because I checked my tires at home around 45 degrees and it was 15-20 degrees up there!

$25 Craftsman Air Station is a great investment if you don't already have an air pump.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My situation may be entirely different. I check my tire pressure inside a heated garage where the temp is kept at 55 due to liquid storage. I add 1 psi per 10 degree difference in the outside temp. This system seems to work for me as the DIC will read 35 after a few minutes of driving. No adverse tire wear has been observed. Just a suggestion.
BD

·
Registered
164 Posts
I try to keep mine between 38 and 40. -27 here this morning so they would be closer to 30. Between the added air pressure and changing to synthetic oil my highway mileage went from 20 to 22 mpg. Doesn't sound like much but it is 10% better.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Even at delivery, our tires were not at 35 PSI, they read 33 33 and 33 34, I think, something like that. Never worried about it till they got to around 30, and it was that time I was going in to the dealership for the seatbelt recall, and also an oil change, so they topped off the tires, and STILL, not at 35, they read something like 33 33 34 33, so WHY can't the dealership get them all the same? I don't think a couple pounds difference between sides, or between front and rear should make much difference in tire wear, but I'm no expert. I have a small air compressor, but it's kind of a pain to use, because it doesn't hold that much pressure. I think if there were a problem, the tire monitor would alert if it was too much a difference, or too low (which it finally did that day I was taking it in, it said "check left front tire pressure", but that was reading the same as the rear, at 28. I guess 28 might be the alert point on the monitor? Anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Mine were at exactly 35 psi when I took delivery on Oct. 10 and they stayed there except that my occasional measurings with a pencil gauge caused some gradual lossage down to the 34 psi I just found them at today in my ~60º garage. For the first time I decided to use my 1-hp compressor and I goosed them up to 36. I'm thinking of letting that be the level to keep them at.

·
Registered
56 Posts
09Enclave said:
... so WHY can't the dealership get them all the same? .... I guess 28 might be the alert point on the monitor? Anyone know for sure?
I've never owned a vehicle with it's own tire pressure monitor before. Wow was it hard to get all 4 tires at the same pressure according to the DIC! So, I stopped and figured that within 1 pound per wheel is close enough. Sorta on the same level as hand grenades and horse shoes I guess ;)

I'd check the owner's manual. I thought I recalled it saying something about where the low pressure alert goes off.

I too live in an area of wild temp changes. Yesterday the high was 75, but the sunset temp was around 20 as sleet started to fall. I've seen up to 4 pounds difference between idle pressure and highway speed after a while pressure, which of course heats up the tires. Haven't paid much attention to just ambient outside temp effect on the pressure yet.

MPG is the main reason I run a few pounds higher than the vehicle's recommended pressure. I too can get a couple more MPG normally by running nearer to the max pressure than recommended by the vehicle's manual or door panel.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts