GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a question for ONLY[/color] those who live in the Mid-West, and the question is; what time is it OK to start your snowblower and clean the driveway?
Is the time different on weekends? Our lots are only a half acre, so we are kinda close. I have a retiree couple on one side, and the other house is farther away where sound isn't an issue. I do have a house almost directly across from my driveway but I don't think it would be that loud for them. I just have a small 5 HP blower, and if I don't clear the snow out before I drive on it then it gets packed down and turns to ice.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Im usually snow blowing anywhere from 6-7 AM, and probably in about the same type location, only I know the people across the street are usually gone by that time, he snow blows around 4:30-5 AM and I dont really have a problem with them doing that, I understand he works earlier, and dont blame him, for the most part I dont usually hear him.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Generally people in my neighborhood will break out the snowblower first thing in the morning before leaving for work. I'm typically up and about by 5am, so it doesn't bother me any.

On the weekends, I would venture to say that breaking out the snowblower at 5am might get on some people's nerves. LOL I don't ever have to worry about my immediate neighbors doing that. They're a bunch of college kids who NEVER, and I do mean never, clear their driveway of snow. Not even with a shovel.

On a weekend, we probably wouldn't get the snowblower out until later in the morning, maybe 9 or 10am.

Did you get a complaint recently? :p

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On Sunday I cleared the driveway starting at 7 am so I could get to church by 7:40 AM, and my driveway is on the north side of the property, and my retiree neighbors bedroom is on the south side of the home. I really like my neighbor, but I also like to keep ice out of the driveway. It was hard to play soccer on the ice this morning.

·
Registered
423 Posts
snow blowers are one thing, revving your over piped harley in the morning is another. people in my neighbor hood do it all day from 5 am to 10pm. its only one day, so its not a big deal.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought Harleys were only rode on the weekends, and spent the weekdays in the repair shop??!?!

Schram, you should move to my 'hood, we just have jerks who get up early to run their snowblowers on Sunday morning making noises. :D

O.K., I'm feeling a little better about the noise. Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Our neighbors driveway is right outside my daughter's window. I think his snowblower is undersized for Wisconsin. If he had a regular one, it would just make noise at a constant level, which I don't think is as noticable. I think he has to blow, back up, blow, back up, etc. So you hear this annoying rrrRRR rrrRRR rrrRRR rrrRRR rrrRRR. It even wakes me up and I am on the other side of the house. And last Saturday he was doing too early, before 7 am I think.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm not in the Midwest, but here in New England is snows plenty, and my city is pretty densely populated. A half acre would be huge. Most lots in my town are ~1/5th acre. I think the unfortunate answer is "whatever time you need to get out there and do it." I think the neighborly thing to do is just accept it as a necessary evil. Mowing is something entirely different. But ya need to move the snow to get out, whatever time that may be. That said, I'd say 6am or later would be most polite. We do have one guy who works a graveyard shift and will sometimes blow his at 11pm before heading out to work, but that doesn't happen often enough to be bothersome. What I hate is that a few of my neighbors contract out to a plow service, which usually shows up at 5-5:30a. Nothing like waking up to a plow blade scraping on asphalt. At least a snow blower could become a constant background white-noise.

·
Registered
423 Posts
oicu,
that would suck. usually the white noise of snow blowers actually help me sleep.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Schram said:
oicu,
that would suck. usually the white noise of snow blowers actually help me sleep.
Well, as much as I hate it, a 5am wake-up from a plow usually means I have to get up anyways and start shoveling my 100' driveway.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My friend told me he had a 20 year old kick started snow thrower. He said "I go into my son's bedroom, kick him out of bed and tell him to start throwing snow if you want to keep living here!"

·
Registered
74 Posts
mrvids said:
My friend told me he had a 20 year old kick started snow thrower. He said "I go into my son's bedroom, kick him out of bed and tell him to start throwing snow if you want to keep living here!"
Too funny! That's exactly how I got my start. Any when my boys get taller than the shovel, they'll inherit it from me.

On a related note, does anyone live in an area where young boys/kids are enterprising enough to do yard work for hire? There's nearly a couple dozen kids in my neighborhood, and not one of 'em ever comes by looking to make some money from raking/mowing/shoveling. (although there is a 9yo girl who sells homemade perfume.) Do kids today just not have to earn their keep? When I was growing up, I think there were only a handful of kids in a 4 block radius, and there was tough competition to "land a contract." I could shovel 4 driveways before getting to school (and more if school was canceled. We'd walk half the day from house to house.) I'd gladly pay a kid $20 to shovel me out instead, but nobody seems interested. (Man, I just re-read that. I'm starting to sound like an ornery old fart. What a drag it is getting old...)

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
oicu812 said:
mrvids said:
On a related note, does anyone live in an area where young boys/kids are enterprising enough to do yard work for hire? There's nearly a couple dozen kids in my neighborhood, and not one of 'em ever comes by looking to make some money from raking/mowing/shoveling. (although there is a 9yo girl who sells homemade perfume.) Do kids today just not have to earn their keep? When I was growing up, I think there were only a handful of kids in a 4 block radius, and there was tough competition to "land a contract." I could shovel 4 driveways before getting to school (and more if school was canceled. We'd walk half the day from house to house.) I'd gladly pay a kid $20 to shovel me out instead, but nobody seems interested. (Man, I just re-read that. I'm starting to sound like an ornery old fart. What a drag it is getting old...)
My son was never that ambitious in our neighborhood. He does however now work at Panera about 20-25 hours a week after school and on weekends. Sometimes more if he's covering for a friend. On top of that he still does his chores around the house... his laundry, the dishes, the litterbox, the trash/recycling, starting my truck in the morning, keeping the driveway clear of snow and clearing the gutters twice a year. (wish we had a whip-cracking smiley here...) ;D

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
oicu812 said:
mrvids said:
Too funny! That's exactly how I got my start. Any when my boys get taller than the shovel, they'll inherit it from me.

We very rarely get enough snow to worry about it here in the DC area, but a couple years ago we had a 18" snow and we were snowed in. Two teen age boys came by and offered to shovel out my drive and walk. Price was $100. I said no way and we did it ourselves.

The amazing thing was that I watched them do at least 15 drives that day. It's incredible how much people will pay to have that done around here.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
GAR said:
oicu812 said:
mrvids said:

We very rarely get enough snow to worry about it here in the DC area, but a couple years ago we had a 18" snow and we were snowed in. Two teen age boys came by and offered to shovel out my drive and walk. Price was $100. I said no way and we did it ourselves.

The amazing thing was that I watched them do at least 15 drives that day. It's incredible how much people will pay to have that done around here.
I guess if you live in snow all the time; it would be worth it

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mrvids said:
This is a question for ONLY[/color] those who live in the Mid-West, and the question is; what time is it OK to start your snowblower and clean the driveway?
Is the time different on weekends? Our lots are only a half acre, so we are kinda close. I have a retiree couple on one side, and the other house is farther away where sound isn't an issue. I do have a house almost directly across from my driveway but I don't think it would be that loud for them. I just have a small 5 HP blower, and if I don't clear the snow out before I drive on it then it gets packed down and turns to ice.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I didn't answer your question; I commented on a comment :sosad:

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
mrvids - I'm not currently from the Mid-West, but grew up there and spend many years cleaning the snow early AM, so hopefully I will qualify. :)

Unlike other noisy things, snow blowing is just a necessary evil that must be done. So if you need to be somewhere, and in order to get there by clearing your driveway, I think you just gotta do what you gotta do and however early you need to clear your drive is what it is. If on the weekend, you don't need to really go anywhere, then I think that 9:00 AM is reasonable.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One year ago to the day we were talking about snowblowers, and today it's over 50 degrees! My daughter wore shorts to school!!!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
No noise ordinance in the area I live in.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts