GMC Acadia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up an SLT2 last week. Wife and I really like it. This is my first vehicle with Nav. What version DVD do you have? My map database is 2005 version 1.0. By name, it seems like it is 2 years old. I guess I want to make sure I received the correct DVD from the dealer.

Does anyone know if a copy of the DVD can be made for backup purposes?

Also, I am surprised that this system does not speak the street names. Did I miss something about this in the manual?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
115 Posts
That's the same version I have.

I'm going to see if it's protected or if it can be backed up; I'll let you know...

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Unfortunately, in my experience, the maps for these navi systems tend to run at least one and often two years behind. There are only a couple of companies that produce the map data. The navi manufacturers then buy the data and format it for their own systems. It is frustrating, particularly if you live in an area with lots of new development.

Kelly

·
Registered
121 Posts
All...I have been assured that the Nav version is 2007 not 2005 which apparently is the copyright date for the programming...disks are NOT two years old!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yeah thats got to be the copyright date, 2007. The discs got to be older then that. I live in a newly constructed community. According to my Acadia's Navi, I live in the middle of nowhere, no streets, nothing.

But My home is 2.5 years old. Moved in the summer of 2005. Mapquest and Google maps have had my community streets for almost 2 years now.

·
Registered
118 Posts
i have noticed this as well. my work is in an industrial park that has been here for at least 6 years, yet the street that my building is on is not even on the map. also, my kid's middle school, which has been open for 3 years now, is not on the map either. makes you wonder how old the data really is...

·
Registered
125 Posts
acadia7j100001 said:
All...I have been assured that the Nav version is 2007 not 2005 which apparently is the copyright date for the programming...disks are NOT two years old!
I don't know who assured you that these are 2007 versions, but they are absolutely WRONG! It says 2005 and streets that have been here for years are still not showing.

I agree with others that are disappointed that with such an expensive car they would use out dated software.

·
Registered
246 Posts
MrBiz said:
I don't know who assured you that these are 2007 versions, but they are absolutely WRONG! It says 2005 and streets that have been here for years are still not showing.

I agree with others that are disappointed that with such an expensive car they would use out dated software.
Do we actually have any proof that the mapping company actually has updated the actual data on newer nav disks?
I mean the mapping company could correct the spelling on a street or two, and call that updating the data while never
actually adding any new streets to any of the maps. Call me cynical, but unless someone has actual proof that newer
disks have real updated data, I always assume that they don't. Also, I have in the past recieved paper maps that
claimed to be up to date missing subdivisons that have been in existence for 10-15 years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For anyone who has a factory nav system and who wants the most current data, the GM Nav Disc Center will have the '08my disc around July, '07. 2007my owners get two free annual updates. The Nav Disc Center can be reached either by phone -- 877-NAV-DISC, or by the web -- www.gmnavdisc.com. You'll need your VIN when ordering. Enjoy!!

·
Registered
492 Posts
NDC said:
For anyone who has a factory nav system and who wants the most current data, the GM Nav Disc Center will have the '08my disc around July, '07. 2007my owners get two free annual updates. The Nav Disc Center can be reached either by phone -- 877-NAV-DISC, or by the web -- www.gmnavdisc.com. You'll need your VIN when ordering. Enjoy!!
I just went to that site & checked for an update & I got this:

Yes, a disc update for this vehicle is now available. Click here to purchase the disc update through the GM Nav Disc Center. You can also call to order at 877-NAV-DISC Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. eastern time. If you are eligible to receive a free subscription disc, you will receive a postcard mailing with instructions for how to order your disc update.

Part No. Description Region Cost In Stock
10396714 GM NAV DVD 10396714 North America $199.00 Yes [/color]

So I go out to the glovebox & see that I already have disc part #10396714[/color] ???

·
Registered
121 Posts
Mr Biz...you are correct...the person who "assured" me was wrong. There are two free disc upgrades available to 2007 Acadia owners...pg 55 of the Nav manual has the instructions. I do want to check to see if the 'wait' is required before getting the first upgrade. I'll let you know what I find!

·
Registered
125 Posts
acadia7j100001 said:
Mr Biz...you are correct...the person who "assured" me was wrong. There are two free disc upgrades available to 2007 Acadia owners...pg 55 of the Nav manual has the instructions. I do want to check to see if the 'wait' is required before getting the first upgrade. I'll let you know what I find!
I called the GM NAV disc place yesterday. They were extremely rude. They also tried telling me that the disc is current. Then they said that since my Outlook was built in 2006, that is why I got the 2005 Disc. I pointed out to them that my Outlook was indeed built in 2007 and they got even more rude. I feel like GM really dropped the ball on this one given the speed at which technology changes. From what I heard it will be September before we can get a new disc. I afraid that disc will still be 2 years old!

acadia7j100001, I truly hope that you find a way to help us get what we paid a few Grand for.

·
Registered
497 Posts
MrBiz, not good that they were rude. Agree with you completely. Hopefuly, Acadia7j100001 can get to the bottom of this and GM can provide us with an acceptable resolution.

Seems to me that if a 2007 disk is forthcoming shortly, 2007 Acadia owners should receive it, and still get the next two updates--maybe even on the second and third anniversaries of the vehicle. Why should we have to wait until the first anniversary of our delivery in 2008 to get the 2007 disk to replace the 2005 disk that has even older data?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Acadia4VA-WV said:
Seems to me that if a 2007 disk is forthcoming shortly, 2007 Acadia owners should receive it, and still get the next two updates--maybe even on the second and third anniversaries of the vehicle. Why should we have to wait until the first anniversary of our delivery in 2008 to get the 2007 disk to replace the 2005 disk that has even older data?
Agree 100%. We should get the latest version and then TWO MORE updates! Or give us THREE updates spread over another year. No excuse for a two-year old disc in a pretty expensive option!

Come on GM! And while you are at it, fix it so it works as advertised with the HUD! (See Problems & Fixes thread)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.